ORU Men in Third Place After Two Rounds

Bogus Smith

For those of you that remember Jeff Holtgrewe, who played basketball in the late 70's (graduating in 1978), his son, David, is tied for the lead in the Summit League Tournament in St. George, UT. The Mrs. and I got the chance to sit with David and the rest of the men's golf team at the All-Sports banquet last week and David looks just like his dad. The team was looking forward to the Tournament and, based on tomorrow's rounds, could come away with a trip to the NCAA Regional again.

ST. GEORGE, Utah--Oral Roberts freshman David Holtgrewe (Cherry Hills Villagae, Colo.) is tied for the individual lead after two rounds at the Summit League Championships, while the Golden Eagles are third overall and in contention at Entrada at Snow Canyon. ORU is the defending Summit League champion.

After two rounds on Monday, Holtgrewe is tied with UMKC's Korbin Kuehn at 1-over par 143. Holtgrewe opened with a 71 during the morning round and closed with a 72 during the afternoon.

The Golden Eagles are at 592 (298-294) and trail team leader Western Illinois (589) by three strokes. UMKC is second at 591.

Senior Terence Begnel (Tulsa, Okla.) and freshman Jake Spencer (Anthony, N.M.) are among five players tied for eighth at 6-over 148. Begnel shot 74-74, while Spencer recorded 76-72 scores.

Kyle Spencer (Sapulpa, Okla.) is 17th after shooting 153 (77-76), and Bryan Boaz (Tulsa, Okla.) is tied for 40th at 162 (82-80).

The third and final round is set for an 8 a.m. start on Tuesday. The winner receives the Summit League's automatic bid to the NCAA Regionals.

Thanks for the info, Bogus. Jeff Holtgrewe was from my wife's tiny home town of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and is a good friend of her brothers. We've seen Jeff and Betsy at ORU functions several times over the past couple years, but I didn't realize their son was on campus. I'll be sure to track his progress on the golf team! :geek:

BTW, doesn't the name of that course - Entrada at Snow Canyon - seem perfectly fitting for the mountains of Utah this time of year? Snow Canyon? Brrrr . . .

Thanks for the info, Bogus. Jeff Holtgrewe was from my wife's tiny home town of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and is a good friend of her brothers. We've seen Jeff and Betsy at ORU functions several times over the past couple years, but I didn't realize their son was on campus. I'll be sure to track his progress on the golf team! :geek:

BTW, doesn't the name of that course - Entrada at Snow Canyon - seem perfectly fitting for the mountains of Utah this time of year? Snow Canyon? Brrrr . . .

I haven't played Entrada - but have played a couple of other courses in the St. George area. Entrada has spectular scenary - and it is worth a peek at their website. Tough course - but a great venue for a conference championship. And if you're concerned about the COLD at Snow Canyon - today's forecasted high is 83. :lol:http://www.golfentrada.com/

You're right, Blue - beautiful. That's the west that I love - but don't get to see much of it any more. Good thing they're playing in Utah - we won't make it out of he 60's here today. Still in the forty's now.

You've got to admit, though, Snow Canyon sounds like a cold place.

INCREDIBLE finish to the Summit League Golf Championships!!! Trailing by six strokes to Western Illinois with two players left on the final three holes, ORU rallies for a one-stroke victory over UMKC and two strokes over WIU. In fact, it all came down to the final hole... as the final players for each team walked up to the 18th tee, it was a dead-heat three-way tie for the team championship. David Holtgrewe birdied the hole, the UMKC player parred and the WIU golfer bogied for the final margin of victory. With the birdie, Holtgrewe also forced a playoff with the UMKC golfer for individual medalist, which was won by UMKC (and the WIU golfer, who was one stroke AHEAD of Holtgrewe coming into the 18th, finished third by one stroke).

You can't script it ANY better than that - TRUE BLUE ORU!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Details can be found at http://www.golfstat.com

That is incredible!

Way to go men's team! Both golf teams are in the NCAA's!!!!