WIU at ORU...final game

theeagleman5

Since our baseball team is having such a mediocre year, TheEagleman guesses that interest has wained on the board.....but I see that ORU is on the way to a weekend sweep leading 12-4 after seven innings....a pair of HRs including another by Furmanek and decent pitching by Burleson today.....so far we have outscored WIU by 45-17 this weekend.....amazing considering we have had to come from behind in every game including today when ORU trailed 2-0 early.....this team certainly has offensive firepower....now if we can just get some consistant pitching in the final month......this weekend is a good start albeit against a Summit League doormat.....TheEagleman will take any ray of hope at this point..... :)

ORU 10 runs WIU by 14-4 in the weekend finale....so we are 22-17 now...the next 3 weekends will be on the road against all three teams that will probably join us at JLJ for the playoffs....IPFW, SDSU and Centenary....it will be very interesting to see if we are still in first place when the final home series vs. NDSU commences four weeks from now....with this team, nothing is certain....which of the three teams above poses the toughest challange for ORU?....any comments from those still interested in baseball out there?.... :geek:

I think the Summit tourney will include ORU, SDSU, Centenary and Southern Utah. SUU is 5-7, having already completed their series with each of the three other contenders, and should have a cakewalk the rest of the way. IPFW is 6-6 only because of a weak schedule to date. The 'Dons were swept at home earlier this year by SDSU. IPFW shouldn't be a significant test, but CC and SDSU will both be tough series on the road. And, since ORU appears to be "down" this year, count on the Gents and Jacks to be sensing "blood in the water" and go in for the kill.

I wasn't on the board, Eagleman, because I was at the game!! Church ran a little late, came home and ate, and had a couple chores to do before heading out. We got there just in time to see Furmanek's grand slam HR in the fifth. It was a thing of beauty. WIU used several pitchers in the fifth, but still allowed nine runs. This game had "run rule" written all over it. I was a little surprised, in the bottom of the eighth, when Saladino's HR scored two, that the Western players immediately headed for the dugout. I didn't realize the effects of the run rule were so immediate - I thought the losing team would be given another opportunity at catching up, but not so. In that regard you could consider Saladino's HR a walkoff, I guess.

One other thing about today's game - it moves ORU into sole possession of first, after the Centenary/Oakland game was rained out. We were tied with Centenary going into today's game.

GO EAGLES!

You are a true blue fan, TMH....thanks for the on site report....sounds like our bats were smokin' hot all weekend....and thanks also to True Blue for the Summit League round up....would love to see our guys get another shot at SUU in the tournament after they 10 run ruled us last weekend....looks like ORU has it's work cut out this final 5 weeks....we will certainly have to earn our NCAA berth this year....nothing is a given.... :sweat: