UND retires Fighting Sioux nickname

FargoBison

MAYVILLE, N.D. -- The state Board of Higher Education decided today to retire the UND Fighting Sioux logo and nickname and directed Chancellor Bill Goetz to so advise UND President Robert Kelley and urge him to begin the transition.

The board's president, Richie Smith, brought up the logo issue at the end of an all-day meeting, noting that as the board convened this morning the state Supreme Court affirmed a district court ruling that struck down an injunction that had been sought by several members of the Spirit Lake Sioux tribe.

Smith noted that the board voted in May 2009 to retire the name. Lifting the injunction put that action back into effect, he said, and unless he heard a motion to reconsider, "the name is dropped."

Board member Claus Lembke of Bismarck offered a motion to reconsider, but it died for a lack of a second. At that point, Smith turned to Goetz and directed him to send a letter to Kelley recommending the transition begin

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/274767/

What is the over/under on number of days before UND is invited to join the Badlands, er, Summit Conference?

How about the UND Fighting Prairie Dogs?.... :P

My guess is it's going to be the UND Flickertails or Flames (they already have a school logo w/ a Flame on it).

I used to live 20 miles from Grand Forks, my wife grew up there, I used to work there, I was just there. They have the nicest college arena in the nation for hockey and their football team plays in a very nice, 5-year old indoor facility. Their elite hockey program is far and away king (UND-Minnesota hockey rivalry is crazy). Football is second (they won D2 Nat'l Chip 5 or so years ago). They used to have a good women's program. I don't see the men's program being worth a darn for a long time, if ever. USD-SDSU could be the toughest roadtrip in the Summit in a few years. The Dakotadome (where USD plays) is one of the worst bball arenas in the country and it's a son-of-a-gun to shoot in that place. Not to sound pompous, but Douple saw first hand a SDSU vs. USD WOMENS GAME and the crowd of 6k that showed up on a cold Monday night. He knows he can get that w/ UND-NDSU also. They will be in w/ USD imo. Heck, let's add Denver and make a 2-division league, play the teams in your division twice and all others once (per Big 12) thus saving alot on travel......

North:

SDSU

USD

NDSU

UND

SUU

Denver

South:

ORU

UMKC

WIU

Oakland

IUPUI

IPFW

Travel partners:

SDSU-USD

NDSU-UND

AUU-Denver

ORU-UMKC

WIU-Oak

IUPUI-IPFW

Oh man...maybe ORU should just become an Independent..... |(

not sure how likely adding denver would be. i think i've read in the past that they kind of look down their noses at the summit and would rather move to a conference out west. UTPA would be an easy pick up if the league wanted to go to 12 teams, i would think.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the Summit is probably going to hold off and see what happens after all the rumored conference shuffling is over. Maybe one of the Horizon, Ohio Valley or even Missouri Valley teams fall into the Summits lap.