A Sad Day for TheEagleman....

theeagleman5

Most of you may think that TheEagleman chose that name because of devotion to my alma mater....well, that is mostly true but my full handle is TheEagleman5 which is also in honor of my favorite football player of all time, Donovan McNabb....obviously, it is a very sad day for me that my beloved Philadelphia Eagles have traded #5 to our hated division rivals, the Redskins....it will not be much fun seeing the greatest QB in Eagle history wearing Burgundy and Gold next year instead of the Green and Silver....I knew it was time for us to move on to a younger signal caller but him going to Washington is terrible....just wondering what the thoughts are from you guys out there who don't have any emotional attachment, especially you Cowboy lovers....in the long run, this move should make the Eagles a better team and we pick up another high draft pick to help fill the holes in our defense.....any comments out there on this big NFL trade?..... ;(;(;(

What a way to treat the best QB in Eagles history and HOF'er (in my humble opinion), send him to a division rival for 2nd and 3rd round picks?? That's bad even for Philly... I know Kolb may turn out to be a good QB, but I think the Eagles young, fast receivers could have benefited from McNabb being around another season or two. Even though he played in Philly, I've always liked McNabb and I've never understood why he got SO much heat from the fans. He led the Eagles to 5 NFC Championships, a Super Bowl and threw for almost 30,000 yds. without ever having great receivers.

I agree with most of what you said, Maniac.....but will try to provide you with the answers from opposing viewpoints here in Philly....1) McNabb won a lot of big games, but also lost quite a few in which the Eagles were favored....the NFC title games in 2002, 2003 and 2008 were all games that the Birds should have won....but I would argue that the defense let us down in 2008 and Donovan had no receivers in 2002 and 2003.....2) Kevin Kolb of Houston U. has been groomed by the staff as McNabb's successor and supposed has better accuracy, anticipation and vision which is needed to QB in the west coast offense run by Andy Reid....McNabb's arm strength and physical skills are clearly superior but his game is on the downside....that being said, I still think #5 has at least 3 good years left which could help the moribund Redskins improve.....3) McNabb has always been a solid citizen and family man....he is a great role model....but many Philadelphians think he has been "the company man" and afraid to assert himself when needed....doesn't seem to be the best leader in the huddle either....Philly fans like a "rah rah" guy out there.....Donovan said after our two horrible losses to Dallas last season (we lost 6 games and 3 to the Cowboys) that he still thought the Eagles had an outstanding season....that ticked off a lot of fans who bleed green and silver....it has been 50 yrs since the Eagles have won a championship and we have never won a Super Bowl....Philly fans are tired of waiting.....it's not all McNabb's fault....TheEagleman blames Reid for stubbornness not running the ball enough and for most of his career not giving Donovan enough offensive weapons....I hope he does well in DC....but not against the Eagles!.... :(

I respect Donovan as a player but hate the Eagles and Skins, being a lifetime Cowboys fan. The only satisfaction I get is seeing Philly fans demoralized but I think this is bad for Cowboys as the Skins immediately become more competitive. I actually think, while it was a slap in the face to #5, it's a good move long term for the Eagles. Kolb seems to have the potential to at least be a solid QB, if not enough upside for Pro Bowl potential. With him and their young nucleus, I wouldn't be surprised to see them with a playoff win or two next year.

Eagleman, I can see your point... McNabb always seemed like a laid-back guy and not a big rah-rah type. I know a lot of people say guys like Mike Schmidt will never be fully beloved in Philly for the same reasons. This day was coming for awhile now for McNabb, especially after they drafted Kolb, but I guess we'll see how good he will be (kinda like I'm still waiting on my man Romo :P )

I guess after looking at some of the details, this was probably the best deal for the Eagles, it just sucks he didn't get a more respectable send-off. I thought maybe a team like Buffalo might make a deal... McNabb will only be 34 next season, but he does have a lot of mileage with all of the injuries. Now suddenly Washington has a veteran coach, veteran QB, and can use that #4 pick on a decent left tackle-- probably Russell Okung, they may also pick up 'False Start' Flozell Adams

I can see the Skins drafting OTs Okung or Trent Williams with that 4th pick....they have to protect McNabb and their O-line is in shambles....hard to believe but Flozell Adams is probaby an upgrade for them.....your Cowboys kicked out butts in those 3 games last season and gave the Birds half of their 6 losses.....we have to blunt that Cowboy rush and also get some pressure on Romo....he's tough when he gets time but loves to cough it up under pressure....he thinks he's Brett Favre.....but I respect your team and they have to be the pre-season favorites in the NFC East at this time....I don't think McNabb will help a whole lot in Washington....they might win 6 instead of 4......I don't think Andy Reid would have traded him there if he thought it was going to haunt him....still, those 2 games vs. the Skins will be full of juice....the Eagles have to draft a least 3 instant impact guys in defense....DE, CB, S, and LB are all needed....we also need a C or a G on the O-line....the Eagles are probably an 8-8 team...maybe 9-7 at best....our defense isn't as good as the other 3 teams in the NFC East.... :sweat: