JEREMY HEFNER

Irish333

Jeremy made his Cactus League Debut Today and pitched 2 scoreless innings in relief. Jeremy's parents must be very proud of him!

Irish

• 3 weeks later...

Geoff pointed out this afternoon that Jeremy's San Antonio team has a three day series with the Drillers starting tonight. Jeremy with a chance to play in Tulsa again!

Jeremy pitched for the San Antonio Missions this past weekend. He pitched fairly well, gave up two runs on a homer, but settled down for the balance of his time in the game. The team wound up loosing, but Jeremy pitched well.

Jeremy and Jerry have become good friends. Nice to see the Alum connection is alive and well.

Jeremy has a little boy named Jace and a puppy named Ace........ When Jeremy makes it to the show... I think Ace Hardware has a shoe in for a pro mo. LOL

Irish

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Mets claim Hefner (MLB.com)

NEW YORK -- The Mets announced Monday that they have claimed right-handed pitcher Jeremy Hefner off waivers from the Pirates and added him to their 40-man roster. The team has also signed left-handed pitcher Garrett Olson and catcher Lucas May to Minor League contracts, and invited both to Spring Training.

Hefner, 25, posted a 9-7 record and a 4.98 ERA for San Diego's Triple-A Tucson affiliate last season, ranking sixth in the Pacific Coast League with 120 strikeouts in 157 1/3 innings. The Pirates scooped up Hefner after the Padres designated him for assignment following the season, only to cut him less than a month later to make room for other acquisitions.

The Mets originally drafted Hefner in the 46th round in 2004, and again in the 48th round in '05, but the right-hander declined to sign on both occasions. Ultimately attending Oral Roberts University and signing with the Padres as a fifth-round pick in 2007, Hefner won San Diego's Minor League Pitcher of the Year Award the following season.

• 4 months later...

it looks like the mets called up Hefner as an extra arm for today's double header. hopefully it's not a cup of coffee type deal and he gets to stick around.

LINK

EDIT: with the Mets down 1-6, Hefner enter enters the game in the 5th. Congrats to ORU's most recent major leaguer!!!

Hefner has pitched 3 innings: 47 pitches with 3 hits and 1 bb - zero runs. Top of the 8th coming up and he is relieved.

Great effort by Hefner!....it's great to see an ORU alum in the majors.....even if it's with the Mets....... :razz:

My brother who lives in Conneticut and works in the Bronx, listened to the game and said the announcers were impressed with hefner's pitching performance.

• 4 weeks later...

The Mets have placed Miguel Batista on the 15-day DL and promoted ORU alum Jeremy Hefner to the starting rotation. Hefner's first MLB start should come Thursday vs. San Diego. 6:10 CT first pitch. He's 0-1 with a 2.25 ERA in 2 relief appearances.

That's SO exciting! Best of luck to Jeremy in his first ML start! Hope we can find the game on somewhere so we can keep track of it.

Hefner got lit up after hour rain delay...

In last night’s 11-5 loss to the Padres, Jeremy Hefner allowed six runs and nine hits over 3 2/3 innings before being removed from the game.

Hefner faced 20 batters and threw 73 pitches, 52 of which were strikes.

Hefner threw two scoreless innings prior to a 68 minute rain delay, but came back out and allowed all six runs in the third and fourth innings.

“I’m just real disappointed,†Hefner told reporters after the game. “I gotta be able to keep us in the game, regardless of rain delays, or whatever the circumstances are. … It was pretty difficult, but I still think I had the ability to go in and shut down the lineup. It’s a learning experience, and if I ever have to face it again, I now know what to do.â€

Collins was non-commital as to whether or not Hefner will get another start after his poor performance on Thursday, although he acknowledged the options are limited right now:

Per Barry Lewis in the Tulsa World (5-26-2012):

Former Oral Roberts and Perkins pitcher Jeremy Hefner will receive another start with the New York Mets on Tuesday. Hefner was hit hard as he gave up six runs in 3 2/3 innings of an 11-5 loss to San Diego on Thursday, but that was attributed to him not coming back well after a rain delay.

It was his third major-league appearance. He had a good relief outing in April, and after getting called up a week ago, he pitched a strong five innings in a loss to Toronto.

-- Barry Lewis