Glory Days

oruvoice

I hope you all realize what a glorious era we are in the midst of right now, for ORU hoops. We will be recalling the Tutt-Green era for years to come.

I sincerely hope that you all get to EVERY game possible and get neighbors and co-workers to the Mabee Center. We have a great product and an incredibly fun college hoops atmosphere.

Here's to what could be a historic season!

I totally agree.... and I also appreciate the fact that our coaching staff is building off the success with a seemingly strong recruiting effort. With Marchello Vealy last year and Jeremy Hazell/Shawn King this year, the coaches are not letting the grass grown under their feet.

Absolutely right, Terry. I agree with voice that this is a special time in ORU basketball, but I also think we've got some great talent coming up.

Not only is the environment at the games really fun, that guy behind the microphone does a great job, too.

Tell me this, voice, is this better than the Timmy Gill/Rocky Walls era?

Better than the Gill/Walls era?

Too early to say for sure. Tutt/Green still have two full seasons to play! If we make the dance this year, I'd say absolutely yes.

Although, the Gill/Walls era was very special. Some great wins and the foundation for the resurrection of ORU athetics, not just hoops.

The verdict is still out...

Guest EagleBackr

...everything Gill and Walls achieved is tainted in my eyes because of their ill-fated attempt to bolt for Arkansas before their senior season. It was an embarrassment for the school and the program. Ken Tutt and Caleb Green resisted the temptation to transfer to more prestigious schools both before and after their freshman years. They have done nothing but remain loyal to the school, and have in the process brought glory and respect to this program. I don't care if they NEVER make the NCAA - they rank No. 1 in my book in the overall sense of what they represent. They are, indeed, "Whole Men".

Good point, Backr, although I personally didn't feel as strongly as you about that. I always thought that they were getting some bad advice from someone, and made the mistake of listening.

To my knowledge, Rocky hasn't kept in contact with ORU, but Tim has been around quite a bit since he left, especially at the beginning of the season, when he isn't off playing himself. He may have tried to cut and run at one point, but the relationship seems to have been positive since then.

I must say as good as Walls and Gill were in the 90's, the level of skilled players in the past 2 years has far exceeded my expectations. Green is one of the best players I've seen at ORU and Marchello looks pretty good to me as a freshman. This recruiting year has been exceptional and a 5 star if I may say so. And you sure can't leave Tutt out. He's special. Gill and Rocky were not the only ones to want to cut and run. So did our coach and he did to the other side of town. That's my take! :roll:

Guest Rob Marshall

It would be a lot of fun if we could watch the "1996-97 Golden Eagles" McClellen, Gill, Crenshaw, Walls, and Moses (coached by Self) lace 'em up against the "2005-06 Golden Eagles" Bluitt, Tutt, Owens, Green, and Mickey (coached by Scott Sutton) in a seven game series.

Any thoughts on the outcome of such a fantasy league seven game series?

I think it's too early to say for certain, but does anyone else think that our recruiting class has a chance at being ranked in the top 25 in the country? I remember Western Illinois' class was a couple years ago, and Valpo's class that brought in Jimmie Miles, Oumar Scylla, Kenny Harris, etc. may have been also but I can't remember for sure.

Hey Rob, that would be a fun contest. Would we be seeing a Gill/Tutt matchup? Walls/Green? JB on McClellen and Crenshaw on Owens? Moses vs. Mickey. Wow, that would be great.

I think that I give the edge to the current group, 4-3, in a seven game series.

The ranking would be nice.... but I would much rather just sign players that fit the system and continue to improve. Again, these rankings are a bit suspect - let's wait to see them play. Our best players over the last 15 years were/are recruits that went un-noticed and flew under the 'experts' notice (i.e. McClelland, Gill, Walls, Tutt and Green).

Guest Rob Marshall

McClellen vs. Bluitt ... Bluitt is a talented player, but does he do anything better than Earl, or anything as well as Earl for that matter? Advantage McClellen.

Gill vs. Tutt ... quickness/athleticism advantage to Gill and both are great shooters/scorers; so as not to offend the masses I'll call it a push.

Crenshaw vs. Owens ... Owens is definitely the better athlete, but Cliff is arguably the better basketball player; Cliff made shots and consistently made smart team basketball decisions on the court, while Larry is electric; push.

Walls vs. Green ... Caleb is an amazingly talented player but Rocky was a consistent double double too and arguably may have played consistently harder than Green does (he was relentless on the boards). Advantage Green though.

Moses vs. Michalec ... big, strong guys who would bang on each other every trip down the court. Blake had a stronger foundation (legs) than Mickey but I'll call this one a push too.

It would probably be a seven game war and a good case for either team to emerge as the better can certainly be made. In my opinion, Earl McClellen would be the difference in this match-up.

My take is the players would have a battle. Who would win ? The coach and his name is Self. Found ways to get Gill open. Earl was very smart with the basketball and Crenshaw could also shoot the rock. The team difference is that 90's team was not lazy and you can say what you want but we are missing LSG right now! This team only plays to its level of competition. That my friend is coaching!!! Yet our level of recruits have in my opinion more talent but the staff seems pressed to get that intensity out of the players on the court for 40 minutes. We are going to be hard pressed in the Utah State game however the level of competition may bring the playing level up for ORU. I sure hope so. Just look at OU. Samson had his team relentless on both exibition games. They are ready for the season. Just my opinion :roll:

Guest EagleBackr
McClellen vs. Bluitt ... Bluitt is a talented player, but does he do anything better than Earl, or anything as well as Earl for that matter? Advantage McClellen.

Gill vs. Tutt ... quickness/athleticism advantage to Gill and both are great shooters/scorers; so as not to offend the masses I'll call it a push.

Crenshaw vs. Owens ... Owens is definitely the better athlete, but Cliff is arguably the better basketball player; Cliff made shots and consistently made smart team basketball decisions on the court, while Larry is electric; push.

Walls vs. Green ... Caleb is an amazingly talented player but Rocky was a consistent double double too and arguably may have played consistently harder than Green does (he was relentless on the boards). Advantage Green though.

Moses vs. Michalec ... big, strong guys who would bang on each other every trip down the court. Blake had a stronger foundation (legs) than Mickey but I'll call this one a push too.

It would probably be a seven game war and a good case for either team to emerge as the better can certainly be made. In my opinion, Earl McClelland would be the difference in this match-up.

Mr. Marshall, this may be the first time EVER I have totally agreed with EVERY WORD of one of your posts. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go ice skating in Hell...

Guest Rob Marshall

and EB, for the first time perhaps in my history I AM SPEECHLESS! :shock:

Honestly, I don't know whether to bow and say, "thank you" or just invite myself to join you in a ceremonial lap on the ice surrounding the gates of Hell. :twisted:

One little corner might be mushy. I agree on everything except the final assessment. I think Green would make the biggest difference. This is just the first game of his Junior year. The best is yet to come for Tutt & Green!

Guest Rob Marshall

There is NO question Caleb Green is an outstanding college basketball player, but again don't forget how many double doubles Rocky Walls posted during his ORU playing career. Rocky was a very solid and consistent player.

Don't get me wrong, Caleb Green is great. I love him, and to me, Caleb is a poor man's Wayman Tisdale (lefty and all). However MOST big college basketball games are won by the team with superior guard play and as talented as Bluitt and Tutt are, McClellen and Gill in my opinion would be overall superior to JB and Ken.