Racial slurs at NDSU against IUPUI

ORUalum

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... roup/home/

NDSU addresses security at basketball games following IUPUI complaint

FARGO - North Dakota State said it will probably station a police officer behind the opposing team’s bench for all basketball games following a complaint of rude fan behavior at the Bison-IUPUI men’s game Thursday night

Bison athletic director Gene Taylor said three Bison fans were responsible for riding the Jaguars team in the course of the IUPUI’s 66-52 win at the Bison Sports Arena. IUPUI head coach Ron Hunter said some of the comments had a racial tone.

Taylor said NDSU normally has an enforcement officer behind the opposing team’s bench for the more well-attended games like South Dakota State, Oakland University (Mich.) or Oral Roberts. There were plenty of empty seats Thursday behind the IUPUI bench.

From the Fargo InForum newspaper:

NDSU addresses security at basketball games following IUPUI complaint

FARGO - North Dakota State said it will probably station a police officer behind the opposing team’s bench for all basketball games following a complaint of rude fan behavior at the Bison-IUPUI men’s game Thursday night

Bison athletic director Gene Taylor said three Bison fans were responsible for riding the Jaguars team in the course of the IUPUI’s 66-52 win at the Bison Sports Arena. IUPUI head coach Ron Hunter said some of the comments had a racial tone.

Taylor said NDSU normally has an enforcement officer behind the opposing team’s bench for the more well-attended games like South Dakota State, Oakland University (Mich.) or Oral Roberts. There were plenty of empty seats Thursday behind the IUPUI bench.

This is on "around the summit league" its my post about what happened, its blown out of proportion by a local radio guy "DAN the TOOL MAN HAMMER" who is our EX rival UND's voice" ron hunter is whining like he does on every call!!

oh man, ndsu was 42-42 with iupui then we went ice cold.

at this point, im hoping to lose to wiu and be the #8 seed and knock off oakland in the 1st round, geez!!

p.s= ron hunter telling a ndsu student "watch it boy, else ill whoop your ass"

ndsu student "id like to see you try"

Glenn and Young jumping around the chairs with fist's clenched.

way to stay classy IUPUI (the ndsu students were jawwing back and forth telling them "why arent you at butler or indiana U or Purdue?"

This is already being discussed in the NCAA forum... I am merging the topics.

I really didn't think too much of this at first, seeing as how Ron Hunter is involved... but it is interesting that a couple IUPUI players were so upset that they were ready to go into the stands after a double-digit win.

It's not hard for people to make racially "suggestive" comments without them being slurs, happens every day. Here are some classy responses to the situation from the NDSU board:

Welcome to the PC world where if some minority group cries they get their way ever damn time.

Reality is this is BS.......typical black minority bringing out the race card.

I hear ya.

My kids really wanted to pizza last night. Thinking they wouldn't eat a bite and that my money is hard earned, I said no. I was quite the n****rd.

{Hunter} What did you write? This is the most outrageous thing I've ever seen posted on a message board. BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!

You students are lame.

I would have responded: "Whip me?" "What is this, Virginia in the 1840's?"

(Give 'em a second to figure our you're talking about slavery, then point to Hunter and say): "This nXXXX knows what I'm talking about!"

that would at least give 'em a reason to be pissed.

And Dakotans wonder why people think they're backwards? I know it's just a couple of idiots making comments, but geez...

TheEagleman is not surprised....no wonder we never see any black refs up in the Dakotas..... :P

Sounds like the heckling wasn't anything different from the norm, I have serious doubts it was racially charged(for multiple reasons), I think Hunter flipped out and to an extent is blowing things out of proportion.

The guy was really worked up into a lather all game, running out onto the court, yelling at the refs and his players. I guess the fans were not up to his standards as well so he took it to them.

A few weeks ago Kampe was in town laughing at these same hecklers, Hunter tells them he is going to whoop their a**. I can see why our AD called this a "nonevent" most coaches would have handled a heckler a bit differently.

Ron Hunter blow things out of proportion?....no way...... |(

TheEagleman is not surprised....no wonder we never see any black refs up in the Dakotas..... :P

There was a black ref in Fargo at the NDSU-SDSU game as well as one in Brookings for the SDSU-NDSU game. And there have been others too. Not sure why you or your board admin doesn't see how this is insulting to both black and white people. |(

Is this guy completely clueless or what....no sense of humor.....how about an hispanic ref?..... |(

Is this guy completely clueless or what....no sense of humor.....how about an hispanic ref?..... |(

Oh, that was supposed to be funny? Gotcha. The constant, untrue claims of no minority officials in the Dakotas as well as Dakotans being racist is funny. Okay then....

Bison athletic director Gene Taylor said three Bison fans were responsible for riding the Jaguars team in the course of the IUPUI’s 66-52 win at the Bison Sports Arena. IUPUI head coach Ron Hunter said Friday the constant barrage of foul language, including some comments that had racial overtones, by a few individuals was too much.

“I’ve been around basketball all my life,” he said. “I’ve never heard it that constant. I’ve never heard a group of people use the language that they used.”

Taylor said he could not confirm racial slurs in talking with four NDSU workers stationed near the bench.

“All four are African-American and they didn’t hear anything,” Taylor said. “My two football players who were right there said they hear it all the time and are sensitive to that. But they said, ‘Gene, we didn’t hear a thing that was racial.’”

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... up/sports/

And Dakotans wonder why people think they're backwards? I know it's just a couple of idiots making comments, but geez...

I guess I don't wonder b/c I've never heard people say that. Okay, some ignorant people who have no idea about the Dakotas not to mention have never been nere probably think that way, but why worry about such a juvenile, uninformed opinion? Do a little research on the city of Sioux Falls. I think you'd be surprised.

With that said, some of those comments on Bisonville were way out of line. I know on our board they would be removed immediately and one would be put in timeout.

I prefer to use isolated incidents to make broad generalizations about people I've never met

now. for what happened in the ndsu/iupui game thursday night. NDSU fans (a whopping 3 of them behind the iupui's bench no less) starting chanting stuff like "why arent you guys at purdue or butler"?? and then the WHITE player for iupui looked like the dude from the movie "THE RINGER" and they chanted "RING-ER... RING-ER" which yes, sounds like ____ _____... but I digress.... RON Hunter said "I will whoop your ass " to a ndsu student... that said student said "Id like to see you try buddy" and then #5 and #23 jumped in this kids face with FISTS CLENCHED!!!!

but nooooooo the students are made out to be the bad guys. grow some skin MR HOT ROD HUNTER!!!! youre a joke and you were exposed!!!

now. for what happened in the ndsu/iupui game thursday night. NDSU fans (a whopping 3 of them behind the iupui's bench no less) starting chanting stuff like "why arent you guys at purdue or butler"?? and then the WHITE player for iupui looked like the dude from the movie "THE RINGER" and they chanted "RING-ER... RING-ER" which yes, sounds like ____ _____... but I digress.... RON Hunter said "I will whoop your ass " to a ndsu student... that said student said "Id like to see you try buddy" and then #5 and #23 jumped in this kids face with FISTS CLENCHED!!!!

but nooooooo the students are made out to be the bad guys. grow some skin MR HOT ROD HUNTER!!!! youre a joke and you were exposed!!!

I think part of the problem here is that instead of it being an entire student section, or at least a large group of students, yelling, "B*** S***", or as in the classy video someone posted on the Bison message board, "F*** You!" at kick off during a football game, these were INDIVIDUALS sitting close to the bench saying outlandish things, up close. The problem with that is it becomes personal.

Then there's the whole issue of "trying to get in their head". That's what they were trying to do - they succeeded. Then, when they get a response, they can't believe it and say the coach and players need to grow thicker skin!! If they do that, then you won't get in their heads!!

That whole concept is silly. Go to the game, have a good time, make a bunch of noise but don't be obnoxious. (I'm sure there are those that sit around me that would say I'm telling you to do as I say, not as I do.) Friendly rivalries are one thing, hatred between teams is another. Bitterness and hatred is all that develops from this sort of thing. Like I said in another post, nobody really wins.