Olympic Hockey

ron

Canada leading Switzerland 1-0 after one period. Are you watching the game, Doc, or will the next game be the first interesting one for you ;) ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ron

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• Cletus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched the game. I never thought it would come to a shoot out :o. Canada just has way too much offensive power to allow that! USA is leading group A after 2 games... we are over achieving, I'll take it!

Olympic Hockey is probably one of the best sporting events around. It's everything World Cup soccer pretends to be but fails at.

As for the "border-war"... it should be intense. Miller will have to play a monster game for USA to even have a chance.

------------------------------------

Have just see youtube clips but:

Russia just doesn't look as intimidating as I thought they would be. Maybe group C is just awful but both Sweden and Finland both look legit... they are fast, can score (high goal differentials), and have they good goaltenders.

Wikipedia entry for 2010 Olympic Hockey

I'm surprised there haven't been any comments about the USA/Canada hockey game yesterday - don't want to rub it in too much for our Canadian friends, especially Queenjaquita - actually, I'm feeling kind of bad for you guys. Here's an interesting quote from the Vancouver Sun:

VANCOUVER — It has been written before — and it's a horrible disservice to the 160 or so Canadian athletes who aren't competing here with hockey sticks in their hands — but there's a certain amount of truth to it:

Win the Olympic men's hockey gold medal, and Canadians will quickly forget whether the sliders and skiers and skaters owned the podium or, actually, what that oddly confident-sounding phrase was all about.

But get taken to the woodshed by the Americans on pretty much every Olympic Games venue for 10 solid days, and then fail to stop the bleeding against Team USA at Canada Hockey Place — at the end of a sad, dispiriting weekend in which our Own The Podium aspirations were officially rendered null and void — and it would be difficult to pick the national chin off the floor for these last seven days.

And so it will.

It's pretty bad for Canada when the lowly Americans beat their best players at their own sport in their own country in the biggest spectacle of athletics with the entire world watching....would be similar to the USA Dream Team losing to say Argentina in basketball in the Olympics on American soil....TheEagleman must admit after watching last night that the Canadians have the better talent and the USA stole that one last night in Vancouver with gritty play for 60 minutes and Miller the goalie who was sensational....we are certainly playing as a team while Canada seems to be having problems jelling...we'll see what happens over the next few days for these ugly Americans who weren't even predicted to be one of the top 5 hockey teams in these Olympic games...but now we are the #1 seed in the medal round....I still think Russia or Canada will take the gold...and don't count out Sweden, the Czechs or Finland.....Belarus is no slouch either....but if the USA takes a medal, that would be quite an accomplishment.....this win over the Canucks will be long remembered no matter what happens...it was 2 1/2 hrs of non stop action...good stuff....U S A !!!..... :clap::clap::clap:

Yes, losing to Americans in hockey is a pain in the butt, no question about it. The only consolation is that there wasn't a medal on the line yet. More important to Canada is to beat the Russians though. If Canada wins against the Russians, the most important goal has been achieved. Beating everyone else and winning the gold medal would be icing on the cake. Are you guys aware of the 1972 series USSR/Canada that Canada won in the last minute of the 3rd period of the final game? That is forever etched in the memories of the generations of those that watched it. But you are definitely correct, the hockey gold medal is the most important gold in the winter olympics.

Canada up 7-3 at the end of the second period. Twenty minutes left in the game. It's a good day to be Canadian!

Canada looks impressive tonight. It seems like they flipped a switch and are now playing very well together. Canada will be very tough to beat.

The USA rolls Finland today....maybe Canada can do the same tonight vs. Slovakia....could be another barnburner Sunday afternoon in Vancouver for the Gold....go USA...all the way!.... ;)

The USA rolls Finland today....maybe Canada can do the same tonight vs. Slovakia....could be another barnburner Sunday afternoon in Vancouver for the Gold....go USA...all the way!.... ;)

There's a lot at stake for Canada tomorrow. We need hockey gold! It'll be a good game. I'm probably going to the hockey arena to watch it with other fans tomorrow afternoon. It will be a crazy environment!

Are you in Vancouver?

No, but I wish I was. These games have been GREAT for Canada! It's hard to define, but I'm sure there will be many paragraphs written about it in the next days. If we win hockey gold, it will cap everything off. To be totally honest, we don't really NEED hockey gold, but it sure would be nice. Canadians are all about being gracious and nice. We don't like braggarts much, but we love effort and determination. Look for an intense hard-fought game tomorrow. I think our guys will leave everything on the ice to win. Our prime minister said it well: On paper we should win, but the US has been the most consistent in these Olympics.

I'm concerned about Miller (your goalie). He has been absolutely hot. Our scorers are on track again, but we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Sorry, tmh. I just understood your question. Our hockey arena in Winnipeg will have four giant screens hanging down from the scoreboard. EVERYBODY will be watching the game tomorrow. The question is only - where? Entry charge for the arena will be $5.00 and $1.00 from each ticket will go to support a city food bank.

All the pressure is on the Canadians today....good luck against our goalie Miller....you're gonna need it.....USA hasn't won Gold since the 1980 Miracle on Ice....Do you still believe in miracles?...YESSSSS!......USA 3 Canada 2....have another Labatts Blue...... ;)