NDSU at SDSU on channelsurfing.net (in OT right now)

Mike Minyard

FWIW.....You can trash SDSU. No problem. We are in just our 2nd year of D-1 eligibility and we're 2-3 against you in men's bball and we finished a close 4th this year. Next year we put quite possibly our best team ever on the floor. Our women's team has now gone 2-for-2 on NCAA tourneys. I just don't think any ORU fan should be knocking the SDSU program.

As for the Summit Tourney. I'll admit, I don't know what kind of numbers you guys put up. I watched the C-USA from Tulsa today and saw alot of empty seats and it doesn't take a genius to know that C-USA will draw twice what Summit will. I do know what kind of numbers Sioux Falls put up (most were record breaking) and that the Summit extended the tourney in SF in a wink of an eye. I also know that once we get USD and possibly UND that it's going to be even more successful.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• SDSUJacks

• ManiacAlum

• tmh8286

I think UND's membership is inevitable - there's no way they'll remain the only Dakota school not in D-1 once USD makes the jump. The mascot issue will eventually be resolved - they'll have a some new "official" mascot, but everyone for at least this generation will still call them the Fighting Sioux.

I think all this conversation regarding the other schools is about who the 12th team will eventually be.

Dead on, OT. The only reason they are clinging to the Sioux name is dollar bills. Hockey is their baby, big, big, bigtime. Their jersey, I believe, is the best selling hockey jersey there is. But Independent status is hell. They have had success in bball (Bill Fitch, Phil Jackson, Jimmy Rodgers, etc) and football (D2 nat'l champs) but this whole process seems to be screwing all that up. I think, as of right now, they are way behind the other 3 Dakota schools, but they would be a solid addition. A no-brainer over DBU, Chi-State, Denver, UVSU, etc.

I just don't think any ORU fan should be knocking the SDSU program.

Me neither, I think the SDSU program is the greatest group of athletes assembled in modern sport, or as I call them-- the "big blue and bright yellow machine".

Or The Great Whities of the Great White North. Or, in the interest of keeping it short, racists, sinners or trolls. |(

Or The Great Whities of the Great White North. Or, in the interest of keeping it short, racists, sinners or trolls. |(

You're so completely right on. We definitely throw around the "racist" and "sinner" labels on a regular basis. Not going to or being associated with ORU automatically makes you a sinner in our book so I'm glad you're catching on quickly.

And that's what we 'holy' people at ORU call "sarcasm." I often feel in the midst of the praying hands, prayer tower, 900ft Jesus, sexual references, Jesus freak, and other misc jokes so commonly made by fans of opposing teams, they are really begging for us to throw out the sinner label just to complete some kind of fantasy of theirs. So many countless people would get their jollies if just one fan would tell them they're going to hell if they don't repent and talk to Jesus just to finalize this ignorant, uninformed, idiotic view of a university that they actually know so little about. And the ironic thing is...when I read 95% or more of posting by ORU fans on the basketball message board, all they seem to want to talk about is...basketball. Such a novel concept.

As for trolls...well for those that come on the board just to stir up trouble...if the shoe fits...

Get your facts straight.

This doesn't warrant it's own thread, but it IS interesting - from Rush The Court

"Summit League Championship. Oakland 76, IUPUI 64. Oakland head coach Greg Kampe didn’t hold back on confidence when he stated after his team’s championship tonight that he believes Oakland is the best team in the history of the Summit League and that they plan on pushing on through to the Sweet Sixteen in next week’s NCAA Tournament. It helps when you have someone like Derick Nelson on your side — broken nose and all — when he shoots 15-23 from the field for 36/9 in a career-best performance. Whatever Nelson wasn’t doing, center Keith Benson was, as he ripped down 17 rebounds and blocked six shots to ensure the school’s second NCAA berth in its history (OU also went in 2005). The Golden Grizzlies are now riding an 11-game winning streak and have won 20 of 21 since a pasting at the hands of Syracuse just before Christmas. With a trio of excellent players at the point (Johnathan Jones), wing (Nelson) and post (Benson), Oakland is certainly an interesting team to consider as a first round cinderella next week."

I don't have a comment on it other than to say you set yourself up for criticism when you make value judgments like that. Whether it was an indescrete statement in a moment of exuberance or he openly feels that way is hard to say . . .

TMH, I have a feeling this will get PLENTY of response...might want to thread it! :D

I think UND's membership is inevitable - there's no way they'll remain the only Dakota school not in D-1 once USD makes the jump. The mascot issue will eventually be resolved - they'll have a some new "official" mascot, but everyone for at least this generation will still call them the Fighting Sioux.

I think all this conversation regarding the other schools is about who the 12th team will eventually be.

It was clear from the git go what your position on this one would be, Old Titan. :)

This doesn't warrant it's own thread, but it IS interesting - from Rush The Court

"Summit League Championship. Oakland 76, IUPUI 64. Oakland head coach Greg Kampe didn’t hold back on confidence when he stated after his team’s championship tonight that he believes Oakland is the best team in the history of the Summit League and that they plan on pushing on through to the Sweet Sixteen in next week’s NCAA Tournament. It helps when you have someone like Derick Nelson on your side — broken nose and all — when he shoots 15-23 from the field for 36/9 in a career-best performance. Whatever Nelson wasn’t doing, center Keith Benson was, as he ripped down 17 rebounds and blocked six shots to ensure the school’s second NCAA berth in its history (OU also went in 2005). The Golden Grizzlies are now riding an 11-game winning streak and have won 20 of 21 since a pasting at the hands of Syracuse just before Christmas. With a trio of excellent players at the point (Johnathan Jones), wing (Nelson) and post (Benson), Oakland is certainly an interesting team to consider as a first round cinderella next week."

I don't have a comment on it other than to say you set yourself up for criticism when you make value judgments like that. Whether it was an indescrete statement in a moment of exuberance or he openly feels that way is hard to say . . .

Kampe clearly got carried away with something. Is Oakland a good team? Yes. Are the a great team? I doubt it. They haven't beaten anyone with an rpi lower than theirs, have they? Before the conference season, when the whole Summit was cheering for them, they didn't beat any significant teams. To prove that they have an exceptional team, they will have to reach at least the Sweet Sixteen. On paper their team looks exceptional. They should be Elite Eight material. Before making those kind of boasts though, Kampe should win at least a game. At this point, the burden of proof still lies with Oakland. If Oakland proves that they have put their losing ways behind them , I will be one of the first to jump on the band wagon.

The Summit League is improving, no question about it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think we will have 4 20-win teams next year. SDSU's coach has indicated that he can coach. I think ORU, Oakland, IUPUI and SDSU will be those teams. We will probably all win some non-con games to boost the win numbers (although I'm not sure about Oakland ;) ). I love the development in the league, but Oakland the best team ever in the Summit? In my days of playing street hockey in the neighbourhood, the boys were pretty straight with their analysis. They might have said something like, "Put up or shut up."

It was clear from the git go what your position on this one would be, Old Titan. :)

I'm just waiting for the animial rights folks to convince people it's an insult to animals to use them as mascots - I've heard that they're already trying.

BUT - as I pursue my hobby of stargazing I find that there are plenty of STARS that we could use as mascots. I'd vote for ORU being named after Albireo - the blue and gold double star in the constellation Cygnus. . . :geek:

The ORU Fighting Albireos

Albireo.jpg

I guess Kampe can say that about his team regarding the Summit League, they ran through the conference with the best-ever record...The Sweet 16 comment is definitely cringe worthy. Now I just wonder if some other Summit schools want to vilify him like Kevin Ford? |(

Oakland's regular season and tournament championship's make them the 2nd current Mid-Con/Summit school to accomplish both feats multiple times. (2nd Regular season title- 1999-'00, 2009-'10; 2nd Tournament- 2004-'05, '09-'10)

ORU still leads the way in regular season titles (5), tournament titles (3), and total postseason appearances (12) ]:)

Which we need to keep going. Next year we need to wreck shop.

I like Kampe and the Griz but the best team ever in the Summit? They had a brutal schedule, which helped their RPI, but they didn't really play those teams close. They did run through the league but I would like to see them make some noise outside the Summit before labeling them the best ever. I know you guys had some great teams and then there is Valpo.

I apologize for the "sinner" comments. I do stand by the racist and troll comments. I was the one banned on here for responding to a thread openly racist against the people of the Dakotas, Summit League and referees.

If I were a "troll" and only concerned w/ ruffling your feathers, I would have posted the facts and my opinions of the Roberts family long ago. Never have, never will.

I have "enjoyed" a very cold reception here on this Christian school board. All b/c I dared "talk up" my university. If I am wrong, if I have made several personal and inappropriate comments about ORU, then please post them. I think you'll be surprised how few of these you can find from this "troll". |(