Why Coach Sutton Got Tossed at WIU

Old Titan

from the "ORU-IPFW Comments" thread from last week:

I really wish Coach Sutton would get two technicals in a game and get tossed, just to send a message to the league office that this practice of hiring any idiot with a whistle from Wal-Mart and a uniform from The Foot Locker, and calling them a Division-1 referee, has got to stop.

Homer Drew got tossed from several games when Valpo was in the league, and everybody still thinks he's a nice guy. I remember one night in the Mabee Center when he just walked right off the bench to half court in the middle of live play to argue his point - the referee looked like he wanted to run away from him.

I think it would send shockwaves through the conference if straight-laced Scott just went flat-out ballistic one night - preferably on that diva Frank Spencer. :@

Ah, the power of the message board!! ;)

TheEagleman was out tonight....have heard a little but what happened?.....sounds like Coach Sutton finally had had enough....gotta love it.... :clap::clap::clap: .....is this the first time an ORU coach has ever been tossed?.... ;)

Eagleman, in his post game interview Coach Sutton said it was the first time he's been tossed. He also said that he deserved the first one but thought the second one was a "quick whistle." (quote may not be 100% accurate, there was some egg nog left over from Christmas).

Hax pointed out on the radio broadcast that the technical was called at the start of the media time out. Therefore, Coach Sutton was not limited by the coaches box.

Bush league all the way around. There's got to be better high school officials in Illinois than the clown that got his feelings hurt and decided to show the Coach "you're not the boss of me."

Looks like the guy that tossed Scott (Danny McKenzie, who at least he gave two technical fouls) was someone who has only officiated one other college game this year and a total of four college games in the last two seasons. We must have been scrapping the bottom of the barrel for referees tonight (literally).

Looks like the guy that tossed Scott (Danny McKenzie, who at least he gave two technical fouls) was someone who has only officiated one other college game this year and a total of four college games in the last two seasons. We must have been scrapping the bottom of the barrel for referees tonight (literally).

Saturday night in the Summit League: the college basketball version of "Amateur Hour". :doh:

That's amazing....reffed only one other college game this season and four in the past two seasons?...i know that guys have to get experience somewhere but does it always have to be ORU games?....it's pretty sad when a basically well mannered coach like Scott Sutton gets heaved....just maybe the league office will sit up and take notice now?.....nah....... :puke:

It would probably be an interesting feature story in the paper to see on how Conferences get their officials, how they are assigned and, in the case of the Summit League and other mid-majors, how they pay and acquire officials for their games (especially in determining how to find and assign lesser-used officials when no one else is available). In McKenzie's case last night, he was "the last kid selected in a pick-up game" and acted it out accordingly. He didn't have the acumen or temperment to handle a D-1 college game.

It would probably be an interesting feature story in the paper to see on how Conferences get their officials, how they are assigned and, in the case of the Summit League and other mid-majors, how they pay and acquire officials for their games (especially in determining how to find and assign lesser-used officials when no one else is available). In McKenzie's case last night, he was "the last kid selected in a pick-up game" and acted it out accordingly. He didn't have the acumen or temperment to handle a D-1 college game.

You get what you pay for. (In this case the quality of officiating) I really hope we can move past the bad officiating on the board, or just have one thread designated too it. We just need to come to grips that Summit leage officials are not good, not going to get better, and we are going to have to win even despite them. Remember both teams have the same officials. Our opponents probably have the same gripes about the officials too.

You get what you pay for. (In this case the quality of officiating) I really hope we can move past the bad officiating on the board, or just have one thread designated too it. We just need to come to grips that Summit leage officials are not good, not going to get better, and we are going to have to win even despite them. Remember both teams have the same officials. Our opponents probably have the same gripes about the officials too.

Since so many of our league games this year are being played close to the vest (due to the short bench), officiating is more of an issue.

And bad officiating is particularly damaging.

In past years, we had the talent and depth to make it less of a factor, and less noticeable.

This season, it is unfortunately something we can't just "outscore", or ignore.

TheEagleman read where this was Sutton's first ejection in 11 yrs....however, can anyone answer the question as to whether any previous ORU coaches have been tossed from a game?...I never remember Trickey or Hale getting thrown out back in the 70's...how about the others in between?....an ORU coach must have been ejected somewhere along the line.... :geek:

TheEagleman read where this was Sutton's first ejection in 11 yrs....however, can anyone answer the question as to whether any previous ORU coaches have been tossed from a game?...I never remember Trickey or Hale getting thrown out back in the 70's...how about the others in between?....an ORU coach must have been ejected somewhere along the line.... :geek:

I asked Even Older Titan, and he said he didn't think Trickey (first time around), Jerry Hale or Ken Hayes ever got "run", but wasn't too sure about Lake Kelly, who had a notoriously short fuse, or about Trickey in his second, ill-fated stint.

It was a big deal for an ORU coach to get even one technical foul when Oral was around - there was some concern that you might get called on the carpet for it by "The Man".

And, Trickey just wasn't in many games (the first time around) where the scores were close enough to warrant chewing out a referee.

Agreed, OT....it was virtually unthinkable back in the 70's for an ORU coach to get a T let alone tossed....i do remember Trickey getting one technical but can't recall the game....somebody must have been tossed somewhere in the past...hard to believe this would be the first time in 40+ yrs of ORU basketball..... :o

It's also worth noting that, according to StatSheets.com, in the 31 games that Mr. McKenzie has officiated in the past eight years this is his first ejection.

You've got to start sometime . . . |(

It's also worth noting that, according to StatSheets.com, in the 31 games that Mr. McKenzie has officiated in the past eight years this is his first ejection.

You've got to start sometime . . . |(

31 divided by 8 is less than 4 games per year. Sounds like the guy has a couple of games left in him this year! Wonder if he'll get another one of our games up north... :?:

31 divided by 8 is less than 4 games per year. Sounds like the guy has a couple of games left in him this year! Wonder if he'll get another one of our games up north... :?:

He's still got two to give this season, so it could happen . . .

FWIW....the SDSU vs. NDSU game last Saturday had a black official. ;) It didn't help, they were terrible. NDSU probably didn't think so as they were whistled for 1/3 fewer calls and shot twice as many FT's. (I think they were equally awful)

I used to coach a team and one particular destination always, always had horrible officials. I used to have my guys prepared so they knew what to expect going in and could control themselves. It usually wasn't an issue b/c we just knew they were going to be awful. I imagine the Summit coaches do the same thing.