• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• Cletus

• titansforever

I had the pleasure of knowing him and interacting with him on many occasions. He was a genuinely nice person. Sincere and caring. God Bless Oral Roberts.

From the time I was around five years old, he influenced my life. At a tent meeting in Scottsbluff, Nebr, I watched the cataracts vanish from my father's eyes as he held me in the healing line. When I came to ORU for a student weekend in 1967, Timko Barton was the cafeteria and the only dorms were EMR & Claudius. We walked on boards that Easter to avoid the mud.....as we listed to Chancelor Roberts, we saw his dream of ORU becoming the Notre Dame of the evangelical world.

With only 1100 students the fall of 1969, we all had the honor of seeing him frequently. One of my favorite memories is his catching me skipping chapel to spend time in the prayer garden, and the smile on his face when I realized I'd been caught.

Thankfully he lived to see ORU out of debt and enjoyed coming back for Homecoming 2009 and the Inauguration of Dr. Rutland.

We will miss him, but we can rest assured that he is enjoying Heaven with his darling wife, Evelyn. My heart felt sympathy to the Roberts family.

God honored Oral Roberts by allowing him to live to see the fulfillment of his vision - "Raise up your students to hear my voice, to go where my light is seen dim, where my voice is heard small, and my healing power is not known, even to the uttermost bounds of the earth. Their work will exceed yours, and in that I am well pleased," and to know that the vision lives on, with the mantle of leadership passed on to capable and worthy hands.

God bless Oral Roberts.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1209/687732.html

To the Oral Roberts University Family:

I wanted to you inform you that our dear Chancellor, Oral Roberts passed away this afternoon at the hospital in California.

Chancellor Roberts was one of the brilliant spiritual lights of the 20th century and a giant of the Christian faith. At the core of his legacy is a great university that bears his name. Like millions worldwide, I am mourning his passing and am grateful for his visionary life and contributions.

Please join me in prayer for the Roberts family. We will send details on the memorial service as they are available.

Your servant at ORU,

Mark Rutland, Ph.D.

President

Met him under the unfortunate circumstances of his wife's memorial service in the Mabee Center. I'm so grateful for his life. One of the things I've always enjoyed hearing is how he brought college basketball to a premier sport in Oklahoma with the building of the Mabee Center back in the 70's. That vision to have premier D-1 athletic program at a Christian university is one of the main reasons I opened my heart to leave the southeast and attend school at ORU, through which God has changed my life. God bless Oral Roberts and the Roberts Family for their sacrifice and labor of love.

Met him under the unfortunate circumstances of his wife's memorial service in the Mabee Center. I'm so grateful for his life. One of the things I've always enjoyed hearing is how he brought college basketball to a premier sport in Oklahoma with the building of the Mabee Center back in the 70's. That vision to have premier D-1 athletic program at a Christian university is one of the main reasons I opened my heart to leave the southeast and attend school at ORU, through which God has changed my life. God bless Oral Roberts and the Roberts Family for their sacrifice and labor of love.

The following is being reported by the Tulsa World:

ORU men's basketball coach Scott Sutton:

"He was a great man who touched so many lives. Certainly, our family has had a long relationship with him, going back to when my dad (former OSU head coach Eddie Sutton) was a high school basketball coach, I guess for 50 years. He was a great, great man, and he'll be missed. "Everybody knew he was a big basketball fan, and I think he had a great vision for athletics and how it fit into his ministry."

I'm sad to hear the death of Oral Roberts, but I'm in the mood to celebrate an amazing life at the same time. Christians have reason to celebrate an earthly death. 

Oral Roberts has driven the direction of my life by obeying God. I attended my first ORU basketball game just months old and I attended the ORU Early Learning Center at a very early age.  I rarely missed an ORU game throughout my life and would pick ORU basketball over almost any other thing the world has to offer.  

It was easy for me to apply to only one school when it came to furthering my education.  

There has always been a connection between me and ORU hoops. I'm thankful that Oral made big time college basketball a priority. ORU basketball has provided almost all of the best moments of my life, but it rarely has had much to do with the outcome of the games. Don't get me wrong, the wins have been awesome too. I'm talking about the coaches, student-athletes, staff, fans and the experiences outside the arena. I have so much to be thankful for because of Oral obeying God. I would not have the life I love without him doing so.

Despite my life being saturated with ORU, I didn't get to meet or even shake hands with Oral until Homecoming 2009. That tiny moment of Oral's lifetime meant the world to me. He's the founder of my alma mater, but more importantly he led me to my salvation.  I promise to do my part to keep ORU strong until I can shake hands with him again in heaven.  

God bless Oral Roberts for obeying His voice. 

TheEagleman is also saddened to hear of the passing or Oral Roberts but happy to know that he's in heaven tonight....he was a truly great man and was very nice and cordial to me the few times i had the pleasure to be with him as a student....one time back in 1974, I was a young married commuter and late for class one morning....I parked my car at the Mabee Center lot and was hurrying to class adjusting my tie when I heard a voice from behing call to me..."late for class, young man?"....well, it was OR....he came up beside me and we walked together for a few minutes from Fred Creek to the LRC....he was in a good mood and asked me my name...when i told him, he said, "I know you...you write a sports column in The Oracle....very good stuff"...I felt honored that he even read it....he asked me where I was from and when I said Philadelphia, he started talking about the Cardone Family and asked if I knew them....I told him that I had lived across the hall last year from Jon Cardone and we were friends....anyway, just small talk but he patted me on the back as we parted and he made me feel 10 feet tall that day....it's a memory that TheEagleman always carries with him....I visited ORU on a prospective student weekend Thanksgiving of 1971 with no intention of coming to ORU as a student....but after watching the ORU basketball team and hearing a rousing message by OR, my mind was changed...I completed an application and was accepted a few months later....the rest is history....God Bless Oral Roberts....truly a wonderful man and great evangelist of the 20th Century....but also a man who related to us ORU students....he did love us....and he did have a temper...how about the infamous "I'll take you to the mat!!" speech back in 1972 when dozens of empty beer cans were found to be clogging up the trash chute in the men's dorm....lol....that was us (pre-Youngblood)...lol.....i never told him it was us!.... ;)

Sorry to see Oral's name mixed in there with that crook, Benny Hinn.....no comparison there.... |(

Louisville will have a moment of silence before tip off tomorrow to honor Oral Roberts.

Found this out a few hours after the news of his passing.

God bless Oral Roberts.

Have a good night.

Louisville will have a moment of silence before tip off tomorrow to honor Oral Roberts.

That would be a classy move by the Cardinals. Glad to hear that!

Found this out a few hours after the news of his passing.

God bless Oral Roberts.

Have a good night.

That's a class move by a school with basically no connection to us, other than the playing of the game tomorrow night. Recognizing our loss while having no emotional connection with Oral themselves. I find it pretty impressive that they would do that.

Thanks for the heads-up, Geoff.