The Evidence

MadAdder

Do you plan to watch any of The Evidence when it starts airing in March?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to watch any of The Evidence when it starts airing in March?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
    • Only because I'm too lazy to change the channel after watching Lost

Did you guys see the promos for The Evidence that ran during the Super Bowl?

It's one of the shows we do at work, though most of us have seen only what you guys have, the spots on TV. The basis of the show is that you find pieces of evidence at the beginning and the detectives use it to solve a crime. I think the show has the potential to be a winner. It's being produced by John Wells, the same guy who does ER and West Wing. I figured it would be his attempt at "yet another CSI knockoff", but the guys that have seen everything of that show here think it has potential to be really good.

So here's the question - will you watch it when it starts airing?

• 1 month later...

I saw that promo and have to say it did look interesting. The fact that Wells did West Wing is a plus, but I don't think i'm going to watch this show at first. I'm tired of watching a show that only gets canceled shortly downt he road. I am to the point where I wait to see the ratings before I jump on board. I.E. House, 24, West Wing, I waited to make sure those shows weren't going down.

Don't forget about the brightest jewel in Wells' crown - ER - in its 12th season and under contract for at least 2 more. Third Watch also had a pretty good run of it too.

He also has a couple pilots that we're doing at work - Smith (starring Frank Liotta, Virginia Madsen, and Franky G, not too sure but I think it's about a group of criminals) and Prodigy Bully, a 1/2 hour sitcom about a kid who manipulates his family (should be fun to see how that one turns out since it isn't the usual John Wells shows).

By the way, Evidence recently had their episode order cut down (a couple months ago 8 episodes were shot, but recently I heard they were cut down to 6 or maybe even 4 episodes). Originally I think 12 episodes were ordered. Not a good sign.

Does that mean that it isn't doing well in front of test audiences?

Na, there haven't been any test audiences as far as I know. ABC has been fiddling with the show a lot, more than is normal, usually networks are relatively hands-off after they pick up a show. It's becoming a big hassle on the network and WB to get something out the door that everyone will like. Let me put it this way - the premiere is a week from tomorrow, and they've just now got their "final version" of the first episode done (and they've got a "long version" and a "short version" lol). I'm no expert and this is total speculation on my part, but I think it would take some really solid ratings (top 25 in the first few weeks) to keep this show around for next season.

Well after the hype from the Super Bowl commercials they really should have put it on tv much closer to the Super Bowl, I had all but forgotten about this show until you posted this thread.

Yikes, less than 24 hours until it airs and they were still making changes today! This show has definitely been a can of worms on our end, I hope the end product tomorrow night is worth it.

My thoughts on The Evidence:

It's a show about a cop in San Francisco whose wife gets murdered and he is obsessed with finding the killer. Give him OCD and its Monk, but not even close to as funny.

I don't really like the format. Showing you all the evidence at the beginning just makes it really obvious about what is important in the show. You don't have to pick out the clues, they give every one of them to you at the beginning. Also, as if we can't remember the evidence, they keep flashing back to it every time we see one of the pieces of evidence during the show. It would be like if they showed you Monk's summation at the beginning of every episode.

I don't like the parts about Inspector Sean Cole. They try to give him a back story with his wife and it just seems boring. Then the end where they went all Alias and had him walking around to sad music, didn't like that.

Enough bashing the show-

I really like Orlando Jones. You can call me Inspector Cayman Bishop from now on.

Sorry that I keep comparing it to Monk, but if you are going to do a detective show if San Francisco, then I'm going to compare it to Monk.

If they get rid of Rob Estes and bring in Leland Stottlemeyer; then, it might be a keeper.

My thoughts on The Evidence:

It's a show about a cop in San Francisco whose wife gets murdered and he is obsessed with finding the killer. Give him OCD and its Monk, but not even close to as funny.

Sorry that I keep comparing it to Monk, but if you are going to do a detective show if San Francisco, then I'm going to compare it to Monk.

If they get rid of Rob Estes and bring in Leland Stottlemeyer; then, it might be a keeper.

This is funny, I was thinking the exact same thing about it being in San Fran and his wife got murdered, now if we just get randy newman to sing the theme song we might have something there.

Also, MadAdder you seemed to be hooked up in hollywood can you bring back arrested development, I would be ever so grateful if you did. I am having some serious withdrawals from not seeing it.

Also add Eddie Griffin in there.

You can have Orlando Jones and Eddie Griffin going to Mexico because they think Orlando Jones killed someone. They would then have to trade identities. It would be like a "Double Take" because of the traded identities.

Alright, I just got done watching it here on the west coast. Biased as I may be, I liked it. I like that they give us the evidence then show us how it all falls into place. I also liked that they're putting the focus on Bishop and Cole instead of just spreading it around to a bunch of characters like most of the other crime shows out there. I thought the way they introduced the characters was pretty good, I suspect that if the show keeps on going that we'll find out more about Bishop's background. I definitely didn't suspect that security guy, I figured it was probably the doctor who called her a few times in the middle of the night.

The main thing I didn't like was the pace of the edits in some parts. I felt like it was too fast and they were switching shots too quickly, but that's just me. And it was weird seeing "The Make 7-Up Yours" guy in a serious role.

I hope that the show was able to draw decent ratings so it'll survive into next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. It looks like next week's episode (appropriately entitled "Down For The Count") has to do with boxing. Their timeslot isn't great, but I think they might stick around if they can maintain enough of the lead-in from "Lost".

Sorry richie, I can't bring back Arrested Development, lol.

Maybe you could just make some new episodes of Arrested Development for those of us on the board

but seriously, do you work for a production company or something?

MadAdder I am going to expect a miracle on the arrested development thing, I know if you dig down deep and grease the wheels a little, maybe chat to Mitchell Hurwitz (I assume you guys are good buds) and bring it back. OHHHHHH I miss it so........

Yeah, I work at a post-production company out here in L.A. Evidence is one of the shows we do (with about 20 or so others). We didn't do Arrested Development, so I don't know anyone that worked on that show.

What shows do you do?

Anything on the Food Network?

Good Eats?

Monk?

Lost?

The West Wing?

Scrubs?

My Name is Earl?

The Office?

House?

24?

Boston Legal?