Arizona State's Murphy Unexpectedly Resigns

Old Titan

One of the posters in the ESPn comments section lists Rob Walton as possible candidate (among others) for the ASU opening.

One of the posters in the ESPn comments section lists Rob Walton as possible candidate (among others) for the ASU opening.

*yikes* :sweat:

That would be a great opportunity for Rob. I've always heard that he liked it here in Tulsa, and wanted to wait till his kids are out of school before considering other jobs, but one, I don't know if that's actually true ( or if it's message board gossip :angel: ) and two, an opportunity like that doesn't come along very often :(

Dave Serrano of Cal State Fullerton also seems to be a prime target.

I always kind of thought Walton would stick around at least until OSU opened up? Maybe not?

Would be hard to pass up on ASU

I believe that there are many reasons why Rob likes and stays at ORU and there are other reasons why jobs at places at ASU, Auburn and others have not (will not) appeal to Rob. I still think that the facilities at ORU are as good as any other available at any D-1 school in the nation. Certainly the fan base could be A LOT better and part of that is due to the City's bias towards ORU and the fact that the stadium hides back in the campus where people don't see it easily. Regardless of Rob's decisions for his employment, I believe he will find his way to Omaha soon. He is too good of a coach and too good of an evaluator of talent to not get there. With the facilities that he currently has to work with, he has all of the tools needed to succeed (IMHO).

• 1 month later...

The reason for Pat Murphy's departure are revealed by the allegations below. It will be interesting to see how this affects the ASU baseball program in the future (and the reason that a quality coach was not interested in the position).

NCAA’s Charges Against ASU Revealed - Baselball America

Posted Dec. 20, 2009 12:19 pm by Aaron Fitt

The allegations are piling up against Pat Murphy and the Arizona State baseball program.

On Saturday, the Arizona Republic published a full list of 10 violations the NCAA is accusing the Sun Devils of committing under Murphy’s leadership. Per the Republic:

1. Baseball officials violated a one-call-per-week rule by making at least 490 phone calls to prospective athletes between January 2004 and June 2009, the NCAA said.

NCAA's Charges Against ASU Revealed