'09-'10 Basketball Schedule Finalized

Old Titan

Looks like the exhibition game that was originally slotted with Rogers State on Saturday, November 7 will now be against Harding University of Searcy, AR:

Harding University Men's Basketball

No word yet from ESPN regarding the 50+ home teams that we might visit in the BracketBuster game on Feb. 20th.

Never heard of 'em.....but bring it on!..... 8)

Harding University.... Church of Christ school about 50 miles northeast of Little Rock.

I attended there my freshman year and met my lovely wife there too. I am not Church of Christ and quickly realized I was a 'fish out of water' and transferred to ORU. My twin brother stayed and is a graduate of Harding. Nice school with a good business program. They recently discussed going D-1 but that has been put on hold by the NCAA (and by them?)

We should be able to market to the surrounding CofC churches for the game.

Yeah....that marketing effort should sell another 40-50 tickets... :P ........then again, who knows...maybe that C of C crowd will pack the place.....TheEagleman takes it back....have heard of Harding....the Eagles have a LB on their roster, Tank Daniels, who went to Harding....he's been a pretty good special teamer and might stick again for the 2009 season.... :)

My wife went to a Church of Christ high school and dated a guy who ended up going to Harding. They have an enrollment of over 6,000 students and are NCAA Division II.

Over the next year they will also have Former President Geroge W. Bush and Laura Ingraham (political radio talk host) speaking at a lecture series on their campus.

I would guess that at least a few hundred Harding fans from local Churches of Christ will attend the game.

Abilene Christian University and Pepperdine (who we have played recently in baseball if I remember correctly) are also Church of Christ affiliated universities.

I would guess that this would be an easier game than Rogers State, but I wonder why we made the switch.

I was introduced to Harding through their American Studies Program - which is about 40+ years old. They get a pretty impressive list of people (usually former politicians, media people, etc) to come speak at the school. I have always wondered why ORU does not do something like that. Harding is considered the jewel of the Church of Christ schools and is conservative/orthodox in their CofC beliefs. If you think the rules at ORU are tough, try attending Harding. When I transferred from Harding to ORU in 1980, I could not understand students' uproar over the 'restrictions' - I felt as though I had been liberated. Pepperdine is nominally CofC and is considered 'apostate' by the devout members.

Harding and ORU have a lot in common, but there would never be any collaboration as the theological divide is too great.

I've had young patients that attended Harding.

Harding's American Studies Program sounds similar to to the program at Hillsdale College.

Where does the name come from?...former President Warren G. Harding?....TheEagleman is just wondering.... :?:

Where does the name come from?...former President Warren G. Harding?....TheEagleman is just wondering.... :?:

From the Harding website...

The college was named in memory of James A. Harding, co-founder and first president of Nashville Bible School (now David Lipscomb University) in Nashville, Tenn. A preacher, teacher and Christian educator, James A. Harding inspired his co-workers and associates with an enthusiasm for Christian education that remains a significant tradition at Harding University.

Harding University.... Church of Christ school about 50 miles northeast of Little Rock.

I attended there my freshman year and met my lovely wife there too. I am not Church of Christ and quickly realized I was a 'fish out of water' and transferred to ORU. My twin brother stayed and is a graduate of Harding. Nice school with a good business program. They recently discussed going D-1 but that has been put on hold by the NCAA (and by them?)

We should be able to market to the surrounding CofC churches for the game.

I am pretty sure winning this game will be a salvation or damnation issue for the kids on that team..Those CoC's are hardcore.

I thought this was a thread about the basketball schedule?

As MC would say: "This is like tryin' to herd a buncha cats!" :P

Meow........... :P

ORU's bracketbuster opponent will surely depend on how we are doing by late january when the games are set....hopefully, we could get a primo game like 2 yrs ago vs. Creighton....this year's game is definitely a road game, right?.... :worried:

Abilene Christian University and Pepperdine (who we have played recently in baseball if I remember correctly) are also Church of Christ affiliated universities.

So is Lubbock Christian, Oklahoma Christian and Lipscomb (Nashville).

LCU has a pretty respectable baseball program, I imagine you guys have played them. Lipscomb was a power in D2 hoops before moving to D1 10 or so years ago and they have fared well in D1.

Yeah, Jacks....we know....they just beat us in soccer......... :(