Update on Brian Van Kirk

ron

BVK is playing in the Toronto Blue Jay organization at the A level with the Lansing Lugnuts. He just represented his team on the 23rd in the Midwest League All-star game. He is currently batting a team-leading .302 with 32 rbi in 62 games. He also leads the team in slugging and obp's of .502 and .390 respectively. He is playing left field with only 2 errors to his account. He has 9 HR's.

His team, on the other hand, is not sharing his success. The Lugnuts is 20.5 games out of first place with a winning percentage of .384.

Good find ron! BVK was a solid hitter here at ORU. Good to see that he is still batting well in minor league ball.

Soon I will moving all the updates for ORU players in the pros (wooden bat, minor, & major league) to the new "ORU in the Pros" board under baseball so it will be quick and easy to find updates on BVK, Sullivan, Chapman, Serrano, and any the others...

The Lugnuts?.....almost as bad as the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.... :-P

Imagine having to tell your family and friends that you play with a bunch of nuts. "Mom, they're great guys, but they're nuts . . . every one of them." Don't teams set themselves up for abuse by choosing those names?

The Lugnuts reside in Big 3 (Much Smaller 3) territory and the neighbourhood probably bears the moniker with pride, but what happens when there is more than one screw loose and the wheels come off? I hope Brian doesn't take this personally, but the Lugnuts are doing so badly that it looks like they're hoping for some sort of bailout and a piece of the stimulus package. :|

The Lansing Lugnuts are not new to ORU players.  As I recall, Josh Lex played for them a couple of years ago.

The Lansing Lugnuts are not new to ORU players.  As I recall, Josh Lex played for them a couple of years ago.

As a Canadian, I have precious little choice on who to cheer for so I keep hoping for a resurgence of the kind of team that the Jays had in the early (0's. That's why it's easy for me to follow BVK's exploits. I'm sort of killing two birds with one stone. (Any pun here is most definitely not intended.) Upon cursory examination, however, the Jays are having some trouble loading up on young talent at this level, BVK excluded of course. Josh Lex was before my time, of following ORU baseball that is. Whatever became of him?

Good find ron! BVK was a solid hitter here at ORU. Good to see that he is still batting well in minor league ball.

Soon I will moving all the updates for ORU players in the pros (wooden bat, minor, & major league) to the new "ORU in the Pros" board under baseball so it will be quick and easy to find updates on BVK, Sullivan, Chapman, Serrano, and any the others...

Sounds like a great plan :-D! How much longer are you going to keep us waiting? I just finished asking dbl78 about another player. The demand for the product is definitely there  :-D.

• 1 month later...

TheEagleman went to see the AA Trenton Thunder today vs. New Hampshire Fisher Cats in a DH and who was in the line up for NH but that Brian Van Kirk....played RF in game 1 and DH in game 2....he went a total 1-6...apparently, he was just called up to the AA level within the past 10 days.... :)

TheEagleman went to see the AA Trenton Thunder today vs. New Hampshire Fisher Cats in a DH and who was in the line up for NH but that Brian Van Kirk....played RF in game 1 and DH in game 2....he went a total 1-6...apparently, he was just called up to the AA level within the past 10 days.... :)

Got to hand it to you, Eagleman, you're a true sports fan. You attend more games, at every level of competition, than anyone I know.

Thanks, TMH....TheEagleman is fortunate to live within an hour of A ball Lakewood...35 minutes from Phils Citizens Bank Park and 15 minutes from AA Trenton...also just 90 minutes from AA Reading and AAA Lehigh Valley.....plus, I have two little grandsons who love baseball as much as TheEagleman and enjoy going....had no idea that Brian Van Kirk played for New Hampshire...he was batting in the 6 spot yesterday..... :)

Looks like the Jays have moved BVK up to the next level. He is having his usual adjustment issues. He either owns the pitcher or can't touch him. BVK has always done the cream thing and risen to the top and I expect him to do the same at this level. His rbi will no doubt steadily improve as he settles in. Great that you can see him play the odd game, Eagleman. Thanks for being our reporter at the scene.

That's the last trip in to Trenton for the Cats....we'll see if BVK is with them next season or he moves up....if i would have known he was playing, TheEagleman would have tried to get down near the dugout early to say hello....maybe next year....BVK was wearing #22 for New Hampshire..... :D

• 11 months later...

It appears that BVK has been playing with Dunedin in the Class A Florida State League this season....he's hitting .236 with 8 HRs and 44 RBI so far this season.....TheEagleman was hoping to catch him in Trenton this year with AA New Hampshire but Brian has not been called up from A ball..... :geek:

• 2 years later...

BVK is batting .296 with AA New Hampshire. He is 27 years old. What are his chances of getting to the show. I am still rooting for him. It seems like it takes him about two years to really master the next level, but he appears ready for AAA. What criteria do teams use to move someone up? Eagleman, have you seen BVK play recently?

TheEagleman was over to see Trenton Thunder AA ball a couple of weeks ago with the grandsons but they were playing Richmond....i will have to check the schedule to see if New Hampsire is coming in again before the end of the season..... :nerd: