• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmg1984

• tmh8286

• ORUalum

• Dr. Cornelius

Top Posters In This Topic

Burleson mops it up with a K and a double play ball (6-4-3) to end the game.

Just a solid, solid performance by the boys today - they really took care of business, and Jerry was nails as usual.

One down, two to go!!  :-D

Largest margin of victory by an ORU baseball team in NCAA Tournament play!!  Great game boys!!  Let's bring it again tomorrow night!!

great convincing win by the guys big game tomorrow will follow asu- ksu tonite

Largest margin of victory by an ORU baseball team in NCAA Tournament play!!  Great game boys!!  Let's bring it again tomorrow night!!

Oh, now you're going to make me look that up!  :lol:

Seriuosly, didn't ORU beat North Carolina 11-0 in the first game of the 1978 College World Series?

TheEagleman just got home and is pleased to see that we wasted Cal-Poly 13-3.....sounds like they must have trotted their football team out there today.... :-D......great effort by Sully and our bats hitting the long ball....now, let's rest up and take on ASU tomorrow.....TheEagleman will be shocked if they don't beat Kent tonight....Big effort needed from All American Serrano tomorrow..... :wink:

From the ORU media guide:

"ORU made a splash in its initial CWS game, routing North Carolina 11-0 on June 3, 1978. Center fielder Vince Bienek went 3-for-5 with a double, triple and four RBI for ORU and Ron Meridith hurled a complete game shutout for the Titans, fanning eight batters."

But that of course takes nothing away from today's game, which was one of the more dominant performances in ORU NCAA baseball history.

TheEagleman went to ORU with Ron Merideth and was even in a couple classes with him my Sr. year....he was a nice guy and a good pitcher....I guess that is the only game ORU has ever won in the CWS.... :-P

Of Course ORU is TOUGH!

The coach is Rob Walton, an alumnus of Rutherford HS in the Bergen County Scholastic League - American Division here in New Jersey.  :-D

Of Course ORU is TOUGH!

The coach is Rob Walton, an alumnus of Rutherford HS in the Bergen County Scholastic League - American Division here in New Jersey.  :-D

not to mention the guy on the mound last night - Sully is an NJ boy as well :wink:!

Sully is THE MAN!....TheEagleman is hoping that next week the Phillies take him in the amateur draft to join Chance Chapman..... :wink:

From the ORU media guide:

"ORU made a splash in its initial CWS game, routing North Carolina 11-0 on June 3, 1978. Center fielder Vince Bienek went 3-for-5 with a double, triple and four RBI for ORU and Ron Meridith hurled a complete game shutout for the Titans, fanning eight batters."

But that of course takes nothing away from today's game, which was one of the more dominant performances in ORU NCAA baseball history.

Yeah, it looks like my information was a little "bogus".  I guess I should just wait for the print version of the hype to come out and see if it changes between the time it's received and the time it makes it into a copyrighted source, huh??  :-D

Yeah, it looks like my information was a little "bogus".  I guess I should just wait for the print version of the hype to come out and see if it changes between the time it's received and the time it makes it into a copyrighted source, huh??  :-D

Oh, I was just having a little fun - I figured you probably meant largest victory margin in Regional play, which is true and has been stated correctly in several recaps this morning.

Here ya go - from ORUGoldenEagles.com:

TEMPE, Ariz. – The Oral Roberts University baseball team pounded out 18 hits and posted its largest margin of victory in a NCAA Regional contest with a 13-3 victory over Cal Poly on Friday afternoon at Packard Stadium.

I thought I heard Geoff say it the other way as well, though, Bogus.  In reality, we're only talking about a one run difference, but for accuracy sake, I guess you have to make the distinction.

In the next game of the '78 CWS, ORU jumped out to a 5-0 lead but eventually lost by a run to who??... Anybody want to take a guess?  :-P

In the next game of the '78 CWS, ORU jumped out to a 5-0 lead but eventually lost by a run to who??... Anybody want to take a guess?  :-P

Arizona State:  stinkin' Bob Horner (All-American and eventual Atlanta Braves star) hit a grand slam the very next inning...  :cry:

Great "Q", alum - I had to look it up -

ORU lost to ASU, 7-6, and were eliminated by Miami, 5-3.