ESPN Mid Majors to Watch

vcboy2000

Guest Rob Marshall

Very nice national recognition, however how much stock should we buy in the opinion of a point guard who was a 40% FT shooter like Gottlieb?

Furthermore, his comment of "it's now or never" is telling that his favorable opinion is more a bias prop for the team coached by the youngest son of his old head coach than that of a well informed college hoops analyst (as most of us realize, ORU very well COULD be even better NEXT season than this).

Old Dominion made the other three analysts' "top three" lists.

I agree Rob, if a guy can't shoot free throws, regardless of how he could dish the rock, his opinion isn't worth a hoot.

I remember hearing Steve Bontrager talk on the Buzz during the Gottlieb era at OSU, after working with Doug on free throw shooting. He called Gottlieb a "mental midget" because of the trouble that he had shooting FT's, a problem that apparently Steve wasn't able to resolve. I thought that was a rather remarkable statement to make on the radio under the circumstances. Seems like such a thing could get a guy in a bunch of trouble.

I remember hearing Steve Bontrager talk on the Buzz during the Gottlieb era at OSU, after working with Doug on free throw shooting. He called Gottlieb a "mental midget" because of the trouble that he had shooting FT's, a problem that apparently Steve wasn't able to resolve.

ah... irony

Guest Rob Marshall

BREAKING NEWS!!!

That wasn't the FIRST or LAST time Bontrager's mouth should/could have gotten him in trouble! :shock:

Overall Steve really is a good guy, and if he's for you there isn't a bigger fan/friend a person could have. Unfortunately, he often speaks before he thinks, thus positioning himself for much criticism. Steve has a wealth of basketball experience as well as a terrific understanding about how to play the game.

Bontrager is a VERY opinionated and candid guy, and that is what makes him a great interviewee from a media perspective. I'd love to see him more involved with ORU basketball again, and perhaps sometime in the future he can/will be. ORU would benefit from Steve's involvement as much as Steve from being plugged in again with Golden Eagle Basketball.

Well if Bontrager was the one that called Richard Roberts' cell a couple times after the big loss to Oakland, I doubt he'll be involved with the Golden Eagles for a loooooong time.

Guest Rob Marshall

Not suggesting Steve was or was not involved in the above referenced phone call(s), but it is my understanding that whoever did make the before metioned phone calls has done the right thing and apologized to President Roberts for his actions thus gaining back the favor of the President.

For whatever it's worth, I heard that Steve participated in the Golden Eagle Club Golf Tournament in September.

I've had the chance to get to know Steve a little bit the last couple of years, and he really is a good guy. But he's quick to verbalize his opinions, and I'm sure that that causes him problems. While he never told me this directly, I sensed in conversations that I had with him that he was unhappy with ORU for not showing more interest in his son Mike a couple of years ago, from what I've heard I think this was the case. Hopefully over time fences will be mended and we'll be seeing Steve in his usual place, court-side, during games.

From my perspective, Steve provided the most interesting and knowledgeable color commentary during game radio broadcasts of anyone since I've been following ORU basketball. It would be great for him to be doing that again.

Guest EagleBackr
Not suggesting Steve was or was not involved in the above referenced phone call(s) or not, but it is my understanding that whoever did make the before metioned phone calls has done the right thing and apologized to President Robers for his actions thus gaining back the favor of the President.

....if we're all done winking about Steve, it should be pointed out that his foursome recently won the Golden Eagle Club golf tournament, so I guess he's not completely persona non gratis right now. I think the guy is great, but maybe he just needs to institute a curfew on his cellphone address book....

Guest Rob Marshall

You're correct Tim, Steve was a guest participant of one of the GEC golf tournament's team sponsors ... incidentally, that team won the event I believe. And yes, unfortunately any hard feelings Steve may have stem solely from ORU not recruiting his son Mike.

Not suggesting Steve was or was not involved in the above referenced phone call(s) or not, but it is my understanding that whoever did make the before metioned phone calls has done the right thing and apologized to President Robers for his actions thus gaining back the favor of the President.

Whether or not it was him, I'm glad to hear that whoever it was did the right thing.

Steve is one of the sharpest basketball minds I have ever heard.... he was the color commentator for an ORU-TU game several years ago and was able to tell what was going to happen in certain situations before it occurred - for both teams. It was amazing.