Wichita State Wins Valley Tournament

Old Titan

...last night at Eck Stadium, 4-2 over Creighton, who had no-hit them earlier in the tournament:

Shockers Earn NCAA Bid

An incredible turn of events, considering this was (in terms of regular season record) Gene Stephenson's worst team in over 30 years at Wichita.

Regular-season MVC champ Missouri State, which swept a doubleheader earlier this year against ORU in Springfield, is now playing the waiting game for an at-large bid.

Wonder if there's any way the Shockers could be a #4 seed with a #3 ORU and a #2 Arkansas at either Missouri or OU?  :-o

I would say that there might be a good chance that we could see all of the area teams (sans OSU) in a regional together. Then again, the selection committee could spread us to the wind. It would make sense if they are trying to save costs though.

I would say that there might be a good chance that we could see all of the area teams (sans OSU) in a regional together. Then again, the selection committee could spread us to the wind. It would make sense if they are trying to save costs though.

It's not just about saving on travel costs (though that's a consideration these days), it's about selling tickets:  an OU/Arkansas/ORU/Wichita regional in Norman would do great box office.

Remember, Stephenson is still vilified by Sooner Nation for jilting OU less than 24 hours after accepting the job that Golloway eventually got by default.

That would certainly be a tough ticket in Norman next weekend....the only foursome better than that would be Tiger, Phil, Vijay and Sergio... :-D

It's not just about saving on travel costs (though that's a consideration these days), it's about selling tickets:  an OU/Arkansas/ORU/Wichita regional in Norman would do great box office.

Remember, Stephenson is still vilified by Sooner Nation for jilting OU less than 24 hours after accepting the job that Golloway eventually got by default.

I would bet that the OKC Sports Foundation was wishing that the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark was available next weekend.  A regional with OU/UoA/ORU/WSU would sell out very nicely in that stadium.  All of the teams' fan bases travel well and to have these four teams in one place would keep all of the seats filled for the entire Tournament - just not when their favorite team was playing.  The concessionairres would be in hog heaven - as the saying goes!  :-D

Regardless of the regional, I think that WSU goes in as a #4.  With a #92 RPI, they will be hard-pressed to get in as a #3 seed anywhere.  That being the case, it makes sense to send them to Norman and let Sonny and Gene duke it out.  I know that OU would like that since the smacked WSU very nicely in two games this season.