NDSU - Friday/Saturday Games

Bogus Smith

Tomorrow, we move from playing the #8 team to the #282 team in North Dakota State.  Even IPFW has a higher ranking than NDSU and we put 62 runs on IPFW.  With the weather in Fargo, I don't think that we'll have the same offensive punch as when we played IPFW, but I would like to think that this weekend's series will bring out the brooms on Sunday.

Tomorrow's weather??  Showers in the evening (game time is 6:30) and then cloudy with a temperature in the upper 30's and a north wind at 10 - 20 mph.  Why we are playing a night game in Fargo in April is beyond me, but hopefully no one gets frostbite.

I'm looking forward to hearing Geoff call the game and give us a description of the conditions.  GO EAGLES!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

• Bogus Smith

• ORUTerry

I hope he's not sitting out in the stands announcing the game - in 35 degree temps and a 20 MPH wind!!  I think that would be worse than the Southern Utah trip last year!

Just a reminder that NDSU will have a video broadcast of all four games this weekend available on ELive - or at least that's what the schedule shows.  I wonder how a blizzard looks on a webcast?  :evil:

I hope he's not sitting out in the stands announcing the game - in 35 degree temps and a 20 MPH wind!!  I think that would be worse than the Southern Utah trip last year!

He'll be nice and warm in the press box, the fans and players will definitely not be so lucky.

Of course it is only fitting that today we hit 80 in Fargo and tomorrow it is back to the 40s.

Night baseball in Fargo?.....Who's the genius making the schedule up there?....Marge Gunderson?....... :-D

Just a reminder that NDSU will have a video broadcast of all four games this weekend available on ELive - or at least that's what the schedule shows.  I wonder how a blizzard looks on a webcast?  :evil:

At least they have video!

Night baseball in Fargo?.....Who's the genius making the schedule up there?....Marge Gunderson?....... :-D

Hey, we need any kind of edge we can get against you guys. Cold weather baseball is something we are quite experienced with.  :wink:

I'm happy to report that THIS is the venue that ORU will be playing at tonight.  I think I confused Newman Outdoor Field with the unfinished stadium of SDSU's.  They've probably gotten it finished by now as well, but it looked like a cold place to be in poor weather.

newman.jpg

fargo3.jpg

fargo.jpg

I guess I approve :-D :-D!!

Hard to tell for sure, but there does not appear to be a press box at Erv Huether Field at SDSU"

This is where I THOUGHT we were playing tonight:

COBCNVKVMLFVYOR.20080207190542.jpg

I love the fact they named the NDSU facility Newman Outdoor Field - like the fact it's "outdoors" is some sort of novelty for a sporting event in North Dakota:  "Kids, we're going to the baseball game and they're playing it OUTSIDE!!  Isn't that GREAT??  Now, don't forget the thermos of hot chocolate, the blankets, and the snowmobile gloves."  :-D

The stadium holds 4,690 (at least according to one web site). 

Things aren't always as they seem, OT.  Originally called "The Nest", naming rights were later bought by Newman Outdoor Advertizing:

"The 4,513 seat facility was known as "The Nest" when it opened in 1996. In 1998, naming rights were sold to Newman Outdoor Advertising for $1.5 million."

Some nice reviews of the field are available here, here and here.

The stadium holds 4,690 (at least according to one web site). 

Things aren't always as they seem, OT.  Originally called "The Nest", naming rights were later bought by Newman Outdoor Advertizing:

"The 4,513 seat facility was known as "The Nest" when it opened in 1996. In 1998, naming rights were sold to Newman Outdoor Advertising for $1.5 million."

Some nice reviews of the field are available here, here and here.

Well, then, it's just like my ol' grandpappy used to say:  "Never let the facts stand in the way of a good story - or a good joke."

And the fact remains, this is a state that a few years back tried to hold an election to have the state name changed to just "Dakota", because some felt that the moniker "North" hurt their tourism.

Like a name change was going to somehow eliminate blizzards in May!

Weather update from Fargo, as of 3:00 p.m.  - Rain and 39º, wind chill of 29º.

And that's the good news.

The sleet and snow is to the west and south, moving right in their direction...  :|

Newman Outdoor Stadium is the kind of funny name that makes me think of Jenny Craig Pavilion at USD.  Both venues named after companies that make for odd sounding sports facilities.

North Dakota State-Oral Roberts Baseball Opener Rained Out 

FARGO, N.D.--Friday night's Summit League baseball series opener between North Dakota State and Oral Roberts was postponed due to rain.

The teams will play two 9-inning games beginning at 1 p.m. Saturday and finish the four-game series with another doubleheader Sunday at a time to be determined.

North Dakota State is 11-19 overall and fourth in The Summit League with a 5-6 record.  Oral Roberts is 21-10 overall and 11-0 in the league.

Good lord, its practically May!  :-o

So when the other 2 Dakota schools join the conference, will ORU win conference titles without ever having to play a series away from JLJ??

Newman Outdoor Stadium is the kind of funny name that makes me think of Jenny Craig Pavilion at USD.  Both venues named after companies that make for odd sounding sports facilities.

The worst sponsor name in the conference by far is Waste Management Arena in Macomb, home of the WIU men's and women's basketball teams.

Considering how bad their men's teams have been, that's quite a misnomer - the waste isn't being managed one bit in that place.

The worst sponsor name in the conference by far is Waste Management Arena in Macomb, home of the WIU men's and women's basketball teams.

Considering how bad their men's teams have been, that's quite a misnomer - the waste isn't being managed one bit in that place.

You're right- I was trying to think of some of the odder named venues, and forgot about that one.  It's surprising a place would be willing to have that moniker attached to their facility.  Anything for money, I guess :roll:.