19-0 ???

theeagleman5

Looks like all it took to awaken the ORU bats was a little Summit League pitching.....geez.....I guess more of the same today with a DH going on at JLJ....any comments from those in attendence?.... :-)

It was like leading the proverbial lambs to slaughter.  On the defensive side, ORU pitching struck out sixteen; Andre Lamontagne was brilliant with thirteen strikeouts.  I think it was the fourth inning before an IPFW batter didn't strike out - and that one popped up!!  It was a fun thing to watch.

Offensively, the Eagles' bats finally came alive, and they were getting hits, and getting hit, all over.  By that I mean we got a lot of men on from hit-by-pitches.  ORU had three home runs, including a late inning one by sub Brett Burch, a sophomore, whose HR was his first hit as Golden Eagle.  He was down in the count 0-2 or 1-2, and the crowd - what was left of it - really roared as the ball sailed out of the park, even though ORU was up by a bunch.  It was one of those great little moments in sports.

In one nightmare defensive stand by the Mastodons, Geoff said they had five errors in the inning (I wasn't keeping track) - I think it was the fifth, when ORU scored seven runs.

IPFW only used two pitchers, even when they were in deep trouble.  Geoff said something about their roster being very thin, and they just didn't have the extra horses to trot out there when one got in trouble.  I felt kind of bad for the poor first guy when his pitching was becoming batting practice for the Eagles and no relief was in sight!  A pitcher's got to feel very vulnerable at that point!

Well, all that was a bit rambling, but those were my main impressions from the game.

BTW, the weather forecast here today is a high of 77 and high winds.  At 8:45 AM the wind is already howling!!  It will be a rough day for playing two games of baseball!

Enjoy those warm upper 70s temps in T-town today....sounds great for baseball....right now it's 45 and high winds here just north of Phila....but the Phillies will be playing anyway down at the stadium.... :-P

Yeah, I'll take our conditions over your conditions any time!!  Actually, last time the Eagles played in town it was exactly like it will be in Philly today.

Today the wind will be no picnic for the Phils and Rays as they play the final exhibition game today at Citizens Bank Park....but tomorrow night it should be much nicer and in the 50's for the season opener vs. the Braves....hopefully, ORU will move on and sweep this weekend...IPFW looks like a nice o'rdoerve for the big Dallas Baptist game on Monday.... :-D

IPFW has a tough little catcher - he really runs the show.

That being said, the mastadons were as overmatched last night as any team I've seen in a while at Johnson Stadium.

Could someone explain again what this school is doing in D-1?  :roll:

I was wondering the same thing last night.  One of their players, I think it was the third baseman, had back to back errors on two consecutive plays. 

The first baseman rarely had an easy catch at first - he was digging most out of the dirt, which he lacked the ability to do, and consequently we got guys on that probably shouldn't have been. 

Keep in mind, though, that this same team has beaten Purdue twice, and lost to Creighton by 7-2.  I'd expect them to regroup and play better today.

TheEagleman expects a DH win today and then get out the brooms for Sunday....oh yeah, Irish....Mets stink!.... :-D

I'm a Yankee Fan, but I thought you might like the LETS GO METS! POST.  LOL. 

I HATE THE METS....... LET'S GO PHILLIES.