Does the impending flood in Fargo endanger university grounds?

ron

A concerned Canadian from Winnipeg is watching the developments in Fargo and hoping that all preparations for a deluge of water will be completed in time. Can we have an update from Bisonland?

A concerned Canadian from Winnipeg is watching the developments in Fargo and hoping that all preparations for a deluge of water will be completed in time. Can we have an update from Bisonland?

Everything sounds good so far, there has been a massive sandbag effort and it sounds like city officials are confident that Fargo can withstand the predicted crest.

Not looking as great today, the river is supposed to crest at 41 feet and a lot of people were hoping that it would crest at the lower level of the 39-41 foot range that was forecasted. The mayor has said the city is good up to 42 feet but we could see a level of 41 feet for a few days.

The record river level in Fargo is 40.1 feet.

Not looking as great today, the river is supposed to crest at 41 feet and a lot of people were hoping that it would crest at the lower level of the 39-41 foot range that was forecasted. The mayor has said the city is good up to 42 feet but we could see a level of 41 feet for a few days.

The record river level in Fargo is 40.1 feet.

Did you get a lot of snow/rain today/yesterday? It's been snowing here a good part of the day and hasn't stopped yet. If this melts at the same time as the crest from Fargo arrives, it might be a little interesting here as well.

Did you get a lot of snow/rain today/yesterday? It's been snowing here a good part of the day and hasn't stopped yet. If this melts at the same time as the crest from Fargo arrives, it might be a little interesting here as well.

We had just over 6 inches of snow today at 6 p.m. and we might get 1 or 2 more inches tonight. The snow is supposed to make the crest last a few days as it slowly melts.

I was out sandbagging today, it wasn't easy with the cold temps but the turnout was great. The mayor is trying to get every dike to 43 feet after getting them all to 42 feet yesterday.

We had a nice article in our main paper up here talking about how your basketball team took the lead in the sandbag-filling department. One good thing about crises like these is that it really brings people together. Too bad it often comes at a high cost.

I think your mayor is making a good decision by bagging to the 43 ft. line. The waves from the water can reek havoc on the top of a dike if you have nothing to spare. A few days at maximum level is a while to hold out. Hopefully everything works well! What does your dike look like?

Hang in! Good on ya for joining the bagging efforts!

Bad news today, all day. River could go to 43 feet, all dikes going to 44 feet. A few neighborhoods are being evacuated. So far my family and I are in areas of the city that are safe, but the river is going to be so high it is just hard to get any kind of handle on what just might happen. If all the dikes hold we should be safe, about all we can do is just hope and pray that they hold.

I guess I never answered the question that this thread is about, but the main campus of NDSU is safe at 43 feet but the downtown campus is not. Right now NDSU students are being called out to fill sandbags since the main filling area is at the Fargodome and they are within walking distance. The city is enforcing a travel ban at midnight on many main arteries. Hopefully the students on campus can pump out a 3-400,000 more bags because the city needs them.

Seems to me that you guys dodged the bullet. From what I hear up here, you didn't get the volume that you expected. Congrats . . . or did I miss some bad news somewhere?

Seems to me that you guys dodged the bullet. From what I hear up here, you didn't get the volume that you expected. Congrats . . . or did I miss some bad news somewhere?

I read that there was a breach in the levy at one point and that a Lutheran elementary school was severely damaged.  Otherwise, the river crested almost two feet below previously predicted, which is wonderful news.

Only five homes were lost in the city of Fargo, which is amazing considering we had a record flood. It took a massive effort, over 80,000 volunteers and 3.5 million sandbags but it looks like things are fine for now.

The story about the school is sad though, they spent a lot of money protecting and rebuilding from the last major flood in 1997 and from what I understand two of their buildings took on major damage. Thankfully they were able to save the three others.

Now there are some fears about a second crest in mid-April, there is already about 10 inches of snow on the ground and we are likely going to put another foot of snow on top of that with the storm that is just now moving in.

Only five homes were lost in the city of Fargo, which is amazing considering we had a record flood. It took a massive effort, over 80,000 volunteers and 3.5 million sandbags but it looks like things are fine for now.

The story about the school is sad though, they spent a lot of money protecting and rebuilding from the last major flood in 1997 and from what I understand two of their buildings took on major damage. Thankfully they were able to save the three others.

Now there are some fears about a second crest in mid-April, there is already about 10 inches of snow on the ground and we are likely going to put another foot of snow on top of that with the storm that is just now moving in.

We're starting to get a few flakes now too. I hope there isn't too much new snow and that the thaw is gradual. Congrats again on a tremendous community effort to stave off the worst!