Why can't the league office just make a decision????

NormanDale

Maybe it's just me, but our league office sure does pick a lot of "co" winners.  Just pick one!!!

CO-PLAYERS OF THE week

SETH FURNAMEK, ORU/NICK FREITAS, SUU

JR., GILBERT, ARIZ. (CHANDLER GILBERT CC)/SR., HONOLULU, HAWAI’I (MIAMI)

Furnamek and Freitas share Player of the Week honors both belted two homers and recorded six RBIs in their respecitve three-game series’. Both players also recorded two doubles and four runs scored. Furnamek had a .583 average compared to Freitas’ .556, while Freitas also collected two stolen bases and a walk.

Also nominated: Tell Ross, Centenary; Chris Gottschall, IPFW; Taylor Traub, Oakland; Joel Blake, South Dakota State; Cole Waddell, Western Illinois.

CO-PITCHERS OF THE week

BOONE WHITING, CC/STEVE JOHNSON, SUU

SO., OAKDALE, CALIF. (OAKDALE HS)/JR., LAKEWOOD, COLO. (CERRO COSO CC)

Whiting and Johnson were named Co-Pitchers of the Week after both registered solid performances. Whiting had a 0.84 ERA and collected a career-high 10 strikeouts in Centenary’s 8-4 win over No. 1 Texas A&M and allowed just one run in 10.2 innings of work last week. Johnson threw a complete-game, shutout in SUU’s 12-0 win over Utah Valley. He gave up only five hits and fanned three batters.

Also nominated: Matt Anto, IPFW; Jerry Sullivan, Oral Roberts; Jordan Faller, Western Illinois.

You've touched on something that I've been thinking about for a while now.  When you have 2 or 3 teams that have good to great rosters, there will always be some behind the scenes bickering. (If only in the locker room).  I wonder if the current "Co-Player" trend is a means to quiet the rumblings.  To me, if Boone Whitting has a game like he did against the No. 1 team, that's a no brainer.  The hitting aspect is not always an easy decision, so C0 PLAYER, might be the right thing to do.

It's just an "AT A BOY" anyway.  Peer recognition is always nice to get.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Irish

Because otherwise it would be the "ORU Player of the Week" and the "ORU Pitcher of the Week".

Whiting and Johnson were named Co-Pitchers of the Week after both registered solid performances. Whiting had a 0.84 ERA and collected a career-high 10 strikeouts in Centenary?s 8-4 win over No. 1 Texas A&M and allowed just one run in 10.2 innings of work last week. Johnson threw a complete-game, shutout in SUU?s 12-0 win over Utah Valley. He gave up only five hits and fanned three batters.

While I agree Whiting had a great outing against the nation's #1 team, how about the fact that his 10 K's didn't come in the win but the loss!  Seems like someone should have caught that typo. 

I'm very impressed you caught that, NormonDale.  Here's a quote from the "win" article:

"On the mound, senior Chris LaLonde was credited with his first win of the season after pitching two solid innings of relief, as he allowed only one hit and two earned runs. Joe Hagen started the game, pitched six innings, allowed just two runs on six hits, while walking three and fanning one. Justin Kraft secured the victory in the ninth by striking out two of the final three batters."

Apples and Oranges.  In my humble opinion, a pitcher has to pitch well enough to keep his team in the game.  Whiting did just that and against the number one team in the nation.  A pitcher by himself can not win the game.  A run has to cross the game in a 1-0 score.  The hitters make the pitcher a winner by providing runs.  You can't hold the teams batting against the effort of the pitcher.  Whiting didn't get the win,  but the team did.  Without his effort, A & M chalks up another W.  That's what makes it a no brainer for me.  No disrespect to the co-pitcher, but Whiting should have been alone in receiving the award.  Again, hitting is a different ball of wax altogether.  You could have two or more individuals that have identical stats, all contributing to the win for their team.  There's more of an argument for a co-player of the week in this instance.  You would then have to rate the level of their competition.  Good pitching will always allow an opportunity for the win. 

Look at the boxscore Irish ... Centenary lost the game Whiting pitched.  Now I still think he deserves the pitcher of the week award.  I was just pointing out the mistake by the Summit office.

Wow!  Good catch, I humly stand corrected.  I think Sully pitched a heck of a game.  UTSA is no pushover.  With the wind chill, I believe they were below 30 degrees at times.  Man, that's cold.  After a while your fingers get numb and gripping the ball get harder, your release point may not be as consistent, which may account for the uncharacteristic number of walks.  I'm a big Serrano fan.  I think it was a brilliant move by Walton to move him to middle relief - even if it is temporary.  I still believe that Serrano will be part of the rotation.  LaMontagne should improve once the weather gets warmer.  He has great command of the fastball and as we all know..... Fastball command is key, it allows you to dominate with above average secondary pitches.  All of our pitchers have above average secondary pitches.  You need 2 to be a starter and 1 to be a reliever.