UTSA

ORU-sisko

3-2 UTSA... heading to the top of the 2nd inning....

Furmaneck is an animal...he goes 4-4 yesterday...and homers to start this game.

The teams combine for 2 homers in the game already and a triple.....turning in a total of 5 runs in one inning...this may turn into a slugfest.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• Bogus Smith

• jmg1984

Good to be able to come from watching a good basketball team to following an awesome baseball team. Go Eagles!  . . . as you try for the sweep.

Baseball has always been my sedative when i am trying to recover from a basketball heartbreak.

We aren't looking good yet today, but I still feel good about Walton & CO.

Primarily the content.  Not only are they calling players faggots and homos, but they're calling the opposing players out by name (because scorecards are being distributed of both rosters) and making comments that are unnecessary.

So if you heckling you can't use their name?  There's no excuse for other insensitive comments but I think a little heckling even by using their names is all right.  Even for ORU. 

So if you're heckling you can't use their name?  There's no excuse for the other insensitive comments but I think a little heckling even by using their names is all right.  Even for ORU. 

BBall, we'll just agree to disagree on this point.  When the guys are talking ALL of the time at decibles greater than the PA system, they are saying stuff like , you're pathetic! or you're a failure!! or you're going to strikeout because you're just visualizing failure!! which is pretty immature in my book.  That's not to say that they didn't come up with some good material, like chanting "Steroids" when their guy hit a home run or heckling the second baseman when he missed a high pop-fly, but it isn't necessary to make the attacks personalized.  I have heard that type of stuff in New York and other places (usually pro parks), but not here. 

When I was a student here, we used to do similar things, but we did it over the visitors dugout.  We would continually talk to the third baseman and would make comments to the players in the dugout.  Once in a while, we'd strike a nerve and get them to look up at us, but usually they'd take it in stride and it never became personal.  This isn't to say that I was the most mature student hecklers in ORU history, but the group that we had was very tame compared to these guys.

The Mrs. and I are planning to go to Dallas for the DBU series in a couple of weeks and I'm interested to see how our guys are treated.  I'll provide a report and let you know.  It may be that I'm just too old and this is how college kids communicate, but I am thinking that these guys are over the top.

BBall, we'll just agree to disagree on this point.  When the guys are talking ALL of the time at decibles greater than the PA system, they are saying stuff like , you're pathetic! or you're a failure!! or you're going to strikeout because you're just visualizing failure!! which is pretty immature in my book.  That's not to say that they didn't come up with some good material, like chanting "Steroids" when their guy hit a home run or heckling the second baseman when he missed a high pop-fly, but it isn't necessary to make the attacks personalized.  I have heard that type of stuff in New York and other places (usually pro parks), but not here. 

When I was a student here, we used to do similar things, but we did it over the visitors dugout.  We would continually talk to the third baseman and would make comments to the players in the dugout.  Once in a while, we'd strike a nerve and get them to look up at us, but usually they'd take it in stride and it never became personal.  This isn't to say that I was the most mature student hecklers in ORU history, but the group that we had was very tame compared to these guys.

The Mrs. and I are planning to go to Dallas for the DBU series in a couple of weeks and I'm interested to see how our guys are treated.  I'll provide a report and let you know.  It may be that I'm just too old and this is how college kids communicate, but I am thinking that these guys are over the top.

You should take a visit down to College Station, Tx and listen to what real "immature" heckling sounds like.

I can definitely see how it may get annoying, and they should move over to the opposing dugout, but I guess it just makes me feel good to have people getting into the baseball game...

You should take a visit down to College Station, Tx and listen to what real "immature" heckling sounds like.

I can definitely see how it may get annoying, and they should move over to the opposing dugout, but I guess it just makes me feel good to have people getting into the baseball game...

I agree, Senior, that I would expect to hear this kind of stuff at aTm, OU, OSU, and many other secular schools, but ORU is different (and proud of it)!!  I'm glad that they're in the game, but think that they could do more "promoting" of our team and less "tearing down" of the other team.

I agree, Senior, that I would expect to hear this kind of stuff at aTm, OU, OSU, and many other secular schools, but ORU is different (and proud of it)!!  I'm glad that they're in the game, but think that they could do more "promoting" of our team and less "tearing down" of the other team.

I can definitely agree with that

ok - here's my take.

Not only are they inappropriate at times, they sit right behind our box and yell ALL the time.  They try to be funny and spend a lot of time laughing at themselves.  I don't think drawing attention to the stands instead of the game is good.  I would think that they annoy our team as much as the opposing team (I know they annoy our fans).  They are EXTREMELY immature - it's hard to believe they are in college.

Wakeflip - We'd love to have you sit with us and keep them in control  :)

During Saturday's game there was one on the third base side and one on the first base side.  8-)

It was like crows trying to out do each other and then the echo effect.  If you saw one of them you would know who he is.  8-)

I was at the game Saturday and all the heckling was done over the visitor's bench but I have seen it both ways.  Does proximity to heckling really matter?  What is the difference between them doing it over our bench or the visitor's bench.  I think the personalized heckling is a way to strike a nerve just like yours (and mine) were.  Whats the difference between using their name or shouting their number out?  Not much in my book.  We always want fans out at the games and then some "rowdy" students show up and get blasted for having some fun.  Immature?  Yes.  Out of line?  Probably pretty close.  But this is very very mild compared to any other school (including high schools).  If we can't have some heckling and cheering maybe we should just play Bible colleges then. 

What took place last Friday while I was at the game was annoying, but wouldn't keep me away.

What was going on the Friday before would. 

Beyond that, though, I don't really understand why two or three have to make being at the game unpleasant for the rest of the crowd - or at least for many of the crowd.

While I definitely respect what you're saying TMH, I think there's another point in this discussion.

Some of us are these  "type" of annoying people to spectators at the Mabee Center that don't believe you should stand up during the basketball games.

Several times, I or someone I have been at the game with, have been told to sit down when we're up cheering. Why? Because they think it's annoying that someone is standing when they prefer to sit.

I'm separating this cheering discussion into 2 categories in my mind.

1. If the content of what is being yelled is taking away from the integrity of what ORU stands for, then I'm all for toning it down.

2. If this about being annoyed by how loud the students can get, then I completely disagree with trying to tone them down. We're probably not always going to understand why they think they're funny, but if it brings fans back to the game and they're enjoying themselves, I say let them have their "fun."

Eventually this type of behavior will turn into pride when one of their OU friends attempts to talk mess about ORU athletics. People defend what they've invested in, even at a minute level.

Just my take....

While I definitely respect what you're saying TMH, I think there's another point in this discussion.

Some of us are these  "type" of annoying people to spectators at the Mabee Center that don't believe you should stand up during the basketball games.

Several times, I or someone I have been at the game with, have been told to sit down when we're up cheering. Why? Because they think it's annoying that someone is standing when they prefer to sit.

I'm separating this cheering discussion into 2 categories in my mind.

1. If the content of what is being yelled is taking away from the integrity of what ORU stands for, then I'm all for toning it down.

2. If this about being annoyed by how loud the students can get, then I completely disagree with trying to tone them down. We're probably not always going to understand why they think they're funny, but if it brings fans back to the game and they're enjoying themselves, I say let them have their "fun."

Eventually this type of behavior will turn into pride when one of their OU friends attempts to talk mess about ORU athletics. People defend what they've invested in, even at a minute level.

Just my take....

Man senior, we are on exactly the same page...which is why I enjoyed going to the bball games with you this year, wish we would have watched more together when we are in school, too bad we are in different cities now

All I'll say is, I REALLY look forward to school getting out  :| . . .

Funny how we rail students for participation at the basketball games, then kill the few that come to the baseball games. 

If you were really considering what I've said you would realize that I haven't asked for these guys to be talked to or limited in any way, bballmangc.  All I've said is that what it apparently takes for them to enjoy being at the games is unpleasant to me.  And in reality, the ONLY reason I posted anything about it on this thread was to back up what Bogus and Mrs said.