UTSA

ORU-sisko

If you were really considering what I've said you would realize that I haven't asked for these guys to be talked to or limited in any way, bballmangc.  All I've said is that what it apparently takes for them to enjoy being at the games is unpleasant to me.  And in reality, the ONLY reason I posted anything about it on this thread was to back up what Bogus and Mrs said. 

Point taken...we all have things that irk us differently

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• Bogus Smith

• jmg1984

The few times I heard these guys heckling it seemed to be all about them - and not the ball game. There is nothing wrong with heckling the opposing team... That is part of baseball. These guys thought they were trying out for the Comedy Club. Relentlessly boorish.

2. If this about being annoyed by how loud the students can get, then I completely disagree with trying to tone them down. We're probably not always going to understand why they think they're funny, but if it brings fans back to the game and they're enjoying themselves, I say let them have their "fun."

IF you haven't sat on the first base side and listened to these students you don't understand and maybe shouldn't even comment.  I am all for cheering on the team.

What if more PAYING fans stay away from the game while the free admission students come to the game and have their fun?  How does that help the team or the baseball program?

The few times I heard these guys heckling it seemed to be all about them - and not the ball game. There is nothing wrong with heckling the opposing team... That is part of baseball. These guys thought they were trying out for the Comedy Club. Relentlessly boorish.

EXACTLY!!  At least relate the heckling to the game.  I go to the game to watch baseball.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I talked to enough people out at the game to know that it wasn't just me.

I do love the students coming out to the games.  I wonder though if I sat in front of the maniacs at the basketball game how much I would enjoy it.  :)  Maybe we need to find a "student" section for the baseball games.

Bogus and I are going down to OU on Friday to watch OU play UCLA.  We'll be watching with our sons, but I'll report on their crowd.

EXACTLY!!  At least relate the heckling to the game.  I go to the game to watch baseball.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I talked to enough people out at the game to know that it wasn't just me.

I do love the students coming out to the games.  I wonder though if I sat in front of the maniacs at the basketball game how much I would enjoy it.  :)  Maybe we need to find a "student" section for the baseball games.

Bogus and I are going down to OU on Friday to watch OU play UCLA.  We'll be watching with our sons, but I'll report on their crowd.

That's a great idea - a "JL Johnson Jokers" section right above the visitor's dugout.  Keep it clean, and be as loud as you want!

What if more PAYING fans stay away from the game while the free admission students come to the game and have their fun?  How does that help the team or the baseball program?

TMH - I definitely am considering your point of view and I was trying to communicate that I understand. I apologize if that point didn't get communicated correctly. I was simply saying that sometimes we may have to agree to disagree with the hecklers, and in the grand scheme of things it's better to have them there.

Of course the board is a great place to express your opinion and I understand that too.

Mrs. Smith - I can definitely respect that but I just don't think it can be an us vs. them system. This is an organic issue...

I have sat behind them and I know what you guys are talking about when you say it's annoying....let me reiterate - I KNOW it's annoying at times  :-)

Eventually the hope is that those "free admission" students turn into paying fans - if not them, then who will?

TMH - I definitely am considering your point of view and I was trying to communicate that I understand. I apologize if that point didn't get communicated correctly. I was simply saying that sometimes we may have to agree to disagree with the hecklers, and in the grand scheme of things it's better to have them there.

Of course the board is a great place to express your opinion and I understand that too.

Mrs. Smith - I can definitely respect that but I just don't think it can be an us vs. them system. This is an organic issue...

I have sat behind them and I know what you guys are talking about when you say it's annoying....let me reiterate - I KNOW it's annoying at times  :-)

Eventually the hope is that those "free admission" students turn into paying fans - if not them, then who will?

Thanks, senior - I appreciate your effort to see both sides - actually I was responding to bballmangc's post right above mine.  I should have quoted to prevent confusion over what I was responding to. 

I wasn't there, and have not attended a baseball game at ORU for over a year.  I usually become very angry and involved when people are making racist, crude, or otherwise ridiculous attacks on the opposing team...I have no idea if that was happening, and if it was then i am mutually disappointed.

HOWEVER....

A teams record, batting average, coaching...et cetera....DO NOT MAKE HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.

Fans do.

Fan support and their ability to create a hostile environment for the opposing team and possible influence of umpires and refs creates home field advantage as much as anything else.

I am glad that ORU has such strong records at home (many of our teams have outstanding home records) but lets not forget or ignore the fact that it could be even more dominate.

If you glance around the country at the most grueling places to play, it is marked with astounding home win streaks that often translate to the road as teams build confidence.

I have seasons tickets to the Washington Nationals and the Seattle Mariners (as i fly between my two places of residence within the US) and i am telling you that baseball is not baseball without ruthless heckling.  It gets into players heads and is a natural part of the game and the tradition is older than many modern baseball rules.

BBall and Senior, I appreciate all that you've said today.  Sorry that I haven't been around today to participate fully on this, but please believe me when I say that I really want the students around at the games and to enjoy, cheer and heckle at our sporting events; however, I love my University and its mission more.  No student (or students) are bigger than the University.

I am as avid a fan of ORU athletics as the next guy.  My kids (and sometimes the Mrs.) "run away" from me when I get too "in to it".  :-D  I have attempted to encourage good "heckling" with this group by engaging the students with thumbs-up and telling them "good job", but I have also confronted bad behavior with this same group such as when they called a player a faggot in Spanish (a hispanic visiting player) and asking another player if he was a Homo.  I don't go to baseball games to confront fans - I go to root on the good guys.  IMHO, life is too short to deal with this type of behavior - regardless of their age or maturity.  You'd think that they still need their parents or the Dean of Students to provide boundaries.

Please continue to support our Eagles and support our fans.  I, for one, appreciate you guys and appreciate the students, too.