Golden Eagles Open Regular Season in WNIT

ORUTerry

Golden Eagles Open Regular Season in WNIT

11/10/2005

TULSA, Okla. -- The Oral Roberts University women's basketball team will open regular season play this Friday, November 11, when they visit the University of New Mexico in first round action of the preseason Women's NIT. The Golden Eagles and Lobos will square-off in The Pit at 8:00 p.m. (CST).

Live audio available on Tulsa's AM 970 KCFO and via the internet at www.orugoldeneagles.com.

ORU posted a perfect 2-0 mark in exhibition play, topping Arkansas Tech (64-45) and Northeastern (Okla.) State (99-68). Junior forward Elisha Turek (Council Bluffs, Iowa), a preseason first team all-conference pick, led the way in both contests for the Golden Eagles as she averaged 20.5 points and 7.5 rebounds.

New Mexico also went 2-0 in its exhibition schedule, defeating both Ft. Lewis and Merto (Colo.) State. The two wins were highlighted by the post play of sophomore Dionne Marsh (15.0 points and 8.5 rebounds). The Lobos return 10 letterwinners, including three starters, from the 2004-05 squad that finished with the best record in school history (26-5).

The winner of Friday's match-up will advance on to face the University of California in the WNIT's second round. ORU will open the home portion of its 2005-06 slate when they host Jackson State on November 21 at 7:05 p.m.

-ORU-

Women: Oral Roberts vs. New Mexico

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

11/11/2005

When: Friday, 7 p.m.

Where: University Arena, Albuquerque, N.M.

TV: None.

Radio: KCFO 970am Oral Roberts (0-0)

Pos. Player Ht. PPG RPG

C Alycia Seay 6-2 4.5 4.5

F Elisha Turek 6-1 20.5 7.5

G Sarah Davidson 6-0 11.0 4.0

G Rachel Balzer 5-9 13.0 1.5

G Leah Cannon 5-5 6.5 *5.5

*Assists per game.

New Mexico (0-0)

Pos. Player Ht. PPG RPG

C Jana Francis 6-3 5.4 1.9

F Dionne Marsh 6-1 13.0 5.5

G Abbie Letz 6-0 6.8 4.6

G Katie Montgomery 5-10 7.3 3.8

G Brandi Kimble 5-8 1.8 0.7

Game notes: The two teams are 2-2 in four previous meetings. New Mexico won the last contest 65-48 on Jan. 1, 2000. The Lobos received votes in both the preseason Associated Press and USA Today/ESPN preseason polls.

I just don't get it. They have a quarter page article about TU women's hoops with a large picture today. I have no problem with that - except that ORU is playing in the WOMEN"S NIT TONIGHT!!!!! What are they thinking?

The TU story is nice and I have no problem with them getting a big story with lots of publicity. Both schools appreciate it. But how in the world does the Tulsa World explain no preview story for ORU's game in the NIT Tournament? It just stinks.....

Guest EagleBackr
I just don't get it. They have a quarter page article about TU women's hoops with a large picture today. I have no problem with that - except that ORU is playing in the WOMEN"S NIT TONIGHT!!!!! What are they thinking?

The TU story is nice and I have no problem with them getting a big story with lots of publicity. Both schools appreciate it. But how in the world does the Tulsa World explain no preview story for ORU's game in the NIT Tournament? It just stinks.....

Easy there, big fella - according to the story, Thursday was TU's Media Day for women's basketball. That's why they got the nice story, just as we did about Leah Cannon following our ladies' media day a couple of weeks ago.

If the ORU women get past New Mexico, I think they would play next at OU against Sherri "The Hair" Coale & the Paris Twins - can you say "roadie"?

I didn't know it was TU's media day, so that explains the size of the story. Again, I don't begrudge TU getting media attention - I just think the Tulsa World gets it wrong at times. I venture that there are multiple TU grads working at the Tulsa World and very few ORU grads.

If the ladies win tonight, their second round game would be at California on Sunday. The ORU-OU match up wouldn't happen until the semis, Nov. 16 or 17.

One interesting thing to note is that California beat E. Washington in their first round match-up on Tuesday, giving thier players two more days to rest and their coaches two more days to prepare for us/New Mexico.

I think the Lobos are in the top 25 - or got a lot of votes for top 25. They are pretty good. That said, Jerry's teams are always better at the end of the season than at the first.

I'm gonna guess a little of both. Terrible shooting for the night for both teams, looks like the Lobos really made it count at the line though. ORU got killed on the boards 51 to 34.

Let's look at the positive - at least Davo had a good game. Hopefully her knees will hold up throughout the year. Coach Finkbeiner's quote during the Mid-Con tourney about her having the knees of a 70 year old woman (can't remember the exact age but it was in that neighborhood) make me chuckle every time I remember it.

On another note, looks like Beckie Francis is back in at Oakland. They're always a good team, this makes them even better.