Outspoken Gossage set for benefit - TW (1-24-06)

ORUTerry

Outspoken Gossage set for benefit

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

1/24/2006

One of the biggest pet peeves of former baseball players is being compared to modern-day players.

Closer Rich "Goose" Gossage is no different in that regard.

Nothing gets the former Yankee great's blood boiling than comparing him to current New York closer Mariano Rivera, or Barry Bonds to Hank Aaron.

"How can they compare me to Mariano?" asked Gossage, who will be in Tulsa on Sunday for the John A. Ferguson Diamond Dinner, which benefits the ORU baseball program. "I used to say I was brought into situations God couldn't have gotten out of because I could strike people out. It was power against power. I wish the young writers would stop comparing us to them and compare them to us."

"And how can anyone compare Barry Bonds to Hank Aaron? The first two pitches Hank Aaron had to worry about were the two coming at his head. Barry goes up there every day taking batting practice."

Tulsa Drillers executive vice president and general manager Chuck Lamson agrees somewhat with Gossage.

"It is hard to compare players from different eras," he said. "There are guys with statistics who are in (the Hall of Fame), whose statistics are not as glowing as some who are not in there.

"Perception is reality.

Sandy Koufax's career numbers are maybe not on par with Greg Maddux. But there's no doubt in people's minds that if Sandy Koufax hadn't gotten hurt early, he would have been one of the greatest all-time and people recognized that and he is there.

"Barry Bonds never had to face Bob Gibson. With Barry's penchant for sitting on the plate, back in Gibson's day he would move them off or hit them to get them off. Then there's the issue of guys wearing armor so that in case they do get hit, they won't miss games."

A 22-year major league veteran, Gossage recorded 310 saves and compiled a 124-107 record with nine different teams from 1972-94. He went to three World Series, two with the Yankees and one with San Diego, and pitched in nine All-Star games.

Gossage finished third in the voting for the Cy Young in 1980 and finished in the Top 10 four other times. He holds the single-season National League strikeout record for a reliever with 151 in 1977.

Named the Sporting News Fireman of the Year in 1975 and 1978, Gossage owns a lifetime earned run average of 3.01 with 1,500 strikeouts in 1,800 innings.

Does he deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? His numbers speak highly of the Colorado native. But despite impressive stats, he didn't get the required 75 percent vote needed to get in on the most recent ballot.

Months after the vote, Gossage remains outspoken on the issue.

"So many of these young executives have lost touch with the game," he said. "It's no longer strictly on talent. You see very few multidimensional players in the big leagues today. A lot of them are one-tool guys. Look at (Boston's) Manny Ramirez. He drives in 150 runs but his (lack of) defense may allow 50. Today's writers reward players simply because they can hit."

Gossage doesn't like how the game has changed.

"I have seen the total evolution of the bullpen from where it was when I came in to where it is today," he said. "When I started, the bullpen was like a junk pile for pitchers who couldn't start. It's evolved into the specialty it is today.

"I remember coming up with Chicago (White Sox) and being told I was going to the bullpen. It wasn't what I wanted, but it was the major leagues. I would have mopped the floors to get in."

Today's closers are one-inning wonders, he said.

"It's an easy position compared to what we used to do," he said. "We usually pitched three or more innings and would be lost to the team for two to three days. And they were grueling outs. To have a guy like Rivera available every night is unbelievable. They are so dominant in the role because it is easier. Thirty saves was unbelievable when I pitched because you came into a lot of games where the score was tied or you were behind."

He also voiced displeasure at how the game has become about numbers.

"It isn't only in relievers, it's every other statistic also," he said. "We're seeing 100-year records that were shattered. It's not because the players are that much greater, the game has changed so much.

"I only had 310 saves, but they were grueling saves. I'd be interested in seeing how many one-run, three-inning saves they would have if they pitched today like we did. The setup guy has more problems than the reliever in today's game."

Gossage also believes that once pitchers such as Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson and Tom Glavine enter the Hall of Fame, there might not be another starter voted in.

"Six innings used to be a quality start, but today's pitchers don't pitch past five innings a lot of times," he said. "When I broke in, if you could only go six innings, you were sent to the bullpen."

Gossage said he has seen few current players who could have played in his era. Two exceptions are current Yankees Derek Jeter and Garry Sheffield.

"Jeter could play in any era," Gossage said. "Sheffield is a great hitter, but he also is a good defender. He doesn't get credit for his defense."

Other changes he has seen include a limited strike zone.

"The game is soft," he said. "Pitchers can't go inside or they will be thrown out of the game. Everything is for the hitter. It's a home run derby every night.

Getting into the Hall of Fame won't complete his career.

"I don't know if I will ever get in," he said. "I was hoping that (Bruce) Sutter and I would go in together. But there are a lot of guys who deserve to go in. Guys like Jim Rice, Bobby Bonds, Tommy John, Sparky Lyle and Lee Smith. Sparky won the Cy Young in 1977 and he isn't in.

"They put Dennis Eckersley in and there are other guys who deserved it before him. Don't get me wrong, he's a great pitcher and he deserves the honor, but he had to resurrect his career. He was almost out of baseball. He's probably the first guy of the one-inning save variety. But I'm happy for him and Bruce."

Even without the Hall of Fame, Gossage has a closet full of memories.

"All I ever wanted to do was put on a big league uniform one time," he said. "And that turned into 22 years. I still have to pinch myself. The whole big league experience, I will take to my grave.

"Fans are what the game is all about. I don't want to take anything away from what it meant to me. Baseball is still a great game, it's just a different game."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lynn Jacobsen 581-8461

lynn.jacobsen@tulsaworld.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John A. Ferguson Diamond Dinner

When: Sunday, 6:30 p.m.

Where: Marriott Tulsa Southern Hills Silent auction from 5-6 p.m. followed by VIP Reception at 6 p.m.

To reserve a table or individual seats, call 495-7213

• 2 weeks later...