100-0, Covenant School over Dallas Academy

tmh8286

An interesting story out of Dallas.  I won't bring up the word "sportsmanship", because it always results in a cacophony of shrill posts from those that apparently don't have any :wink:!  I'll let the story speak for itself, the highlights of which are these:  Covenant has withdrawn it's team from further competition this season, has forfeited the win, it has resulted in a firestorm of bad publicity for the school, and their coach has been fired.

"The final score of the high school girls basketball game was 100-0, and his team had the nothing. Still, a week later, Dallas Academy Athletic Director Jeremy Civello was chalking up the game in the win column.

"My girls never quit," he said. "They played as hard as they could to the very end. They played with all their hearts at 70-nothing, 80-nothing and 100-nothing. I was really proud of them. That's what I told them after the game."

The game took place Jan. 13, on the road, against The Covenant School. Civello didn't expect his girls to win. He never really does. His girls haven't won a game in his four seasons at the White Rock Lake-area school, renowned for its work with students with a variety of learning problems. In most games, they haven't come close.

The Bulldogs play, Civello said, for more than the final score. They play in hope of improving skills, learning teamwork and picking up whatever life lessons athletics may bring.

But they won't be playing Covenant again this season; they canceled their Jan. 30 game against the team. After the game, Dallas Academy informed the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools that it was withdrawing its girls team from the league for the rest of the season."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui8Su4aEP4E

the dallas morning news has been all over this story.  despite the school's aplology, the coach is unapologetic.

Covenant coach disagrees with apology to Dallas Academy over 100-0 victory

By BARRY HORN / The Dallas Morning News

bhorn@dallasnews.com

(excerpt)

The coach of the Covenant School of Dallas girls’ basketball team sent an e-mail Sunday morning saying he disagreed with the head of school and chairman of the board who have apologized for the school’s 100-0 victory over Dallas Academy.

“In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Website, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed,” Micah Grimes wrote in an e-mail that was sent to The Dallas Morning News. “We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.”

On its Web site Thursday, the school posted a statement that said it “regrets the incident of January 13 and the outcome of the game with the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team. It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition.” It was signed by Kyle Queal, the head of school and Todd Doshier, board chair.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/012609dnsptcoach.16be742.html

I like how they released an apology/"PR release" the news wires. Almost as classy as running up the score in the first place.

Yeah that story made big news here for a few days and just when I thought it was done being run into the ground the national media caught on.

It's horrible - I don't know how the winning coach allowed his girls to keep shooting.

Lot's of questions about this.... why does a school that only has 20 girls enrolled and several on the team who have never even played basketball field a team? What did they expect? Sounds like they could not even get the ball across half court. The coaches or refes should have cancelled the game. I assume the winnng coach played his 2nd and 3rd string squads. He should have had his team play left handed (opposite).

There are many ways a coach can slow scoring without completely calling off the dogs, but still not run up the score. 

From what I've read, the Dallas Academy coach didn't call off the full court press until after they'd scored 100 points. 

Real classy.... was he going for the record?

I would have pulled a player and played 4 on 5 to see if it would be more competitive.... the winning team did not get any stronger from the win.

from what i've read the coach of the winning team played his starters until late in the 4th quarter and they were still shooting threes to the end (probably trying to get to 100).  i think that more than anything that is what upset the parents of the losing team.  i think they are accustomed to losing because they have not won a game in four years.

Real classy.... was he going for the record?

I would have pulled a player and played 4 on 5 to see if it would be more competitive.... the winning team did not get any stronger from the win.

That's really the key argument against any support of "a wide-margin victory . . . played with honor and integrity", in my opinion.

i can see the onion story already:

in a shocking move, dallas academy has fired their coach and named the recently fired covenant coach, micah grimes, to lead their program. :-D