About Dr. Mark Rutland... Post your thoughts

Mike Minyard

excerpt from the Southeastern press release:

"The Southeastern athletic program responded to a challenge put forth by Dr. Rutland and has now participated in 33 NCCAA II national tournaments, captured 25 South Region titles, and won 12 NCCAA II National Championships. 85 athletes have been named NCCAA All-Americans."

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• ORU Eli

excerpt from the Southeastern press release:

"The Southeastern athletic program responded to a challenge put forth by Dr. Rutland and has now participated in 33 NCCAA II national tournaments, captured 25 South Region titles, and won 12 NCCAA II National Championships. 85 athletes have been named NCCAA All-Americans."

Let's hope that Dr. Rutland sees the value of competition at the Division I level.

It is important that he have intellectual credentials - but there are other considerations as well: integrity, experience, leadership, vision, communications skills, fundraising ability, etc. It appears that he has these qualifications. I like that he has shown the ability to revitalize a moribund institution and also seems to realize the importance/impact of athletics to a university.

Southeastern University President Dr. Mark Rutland announced January 14 that he will be recommended as the next president of Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma, when the ORU Board of Trustees meets January 28.

Having recently celebrated his tenth year as Southeastern's president, Dr. Rutland has overseen tremendous growth in enrollment, facilities, fundraising, and academics, making it one of the country's fastest-growing Christian universities.

"Southeastern University has experienced unprecedented growth over the past ten years with Dr. Rutland as the catalyst. His extraordinary leadership and vision have transformed Southeastern into one of the leading Christian universities in the United States," said Southeastern University Chairman of the Board Charles Kelly. "We will be forever indebted to Dr. Rutland and appreciate all he has accomplished for the university far more than words can express. He will be greatly missed. However, the call of God is leading him to ORU, and we trust the same God to bring us the leader that will take Southeastern into the future."

http://www.seuniversity.edu/news/stories/200901140115.php#more

I have two sisters who are Southeastern Alum.  I must say that I've been very impressed with what he's done at SouthEastern.  I think he's a perfect fit for ORU.

I did a little investigating on what current students think about Dr. Rutland and here is one student's comments...

"D-Rut is the best thing thats ever happened to SEU..

He's an amazing President, and truly cares about the school..."

"He is not one of those Presidents that just stays in his office, goes to athletic events, and has lunch in the cafeteria with the student body at times..."

"To be completely honest I dont want him to leave.. but thats only me being selfish because i truly believe that God has something bigger planned and I'm happy that he has this opportunity!!"

In my experiences, students are some of the most upfront individuals when it comes to their opinions. It's nice to know that the "common" student thinks this highly of our potential president:-D

Oral Roberts Courts Southeastern's Rutland

Appointment would be effective July 1; panel would find new head for school.

By Cary McMullen

The Ledger

Published: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 12:01 a.m.

Last Modified: Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 11:40 a.m.

(excerpt)

LAKELAND | Never let it be said that Mark Rutland doesn't enjoy a challenge.

Southeastern University President Mark Rutland held a press conference Wednesday in Lakeland after he announced he will be recommended as the next president of Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklamoma. Rutland made the announcement to students, faculty, and staff during a chapel service Wednesday morning at the school. January 14, 2008. The Ledger/Michael Wilson Buy photo The Southeastern University president, who turned a small, run-down college into a polished, expanding university, announced Wednesday that he has been offered the presidency of Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Okla.

Rutland indicated he would accept the position, which would become effective July 1, pending approval by the school's board of trustees Jan. 28. At a news conference Wednesday, Rutland said the new position represented "a fresh opportunity and a fresh challenge."

"Oral Roberts University is certainly not without its challenges. However, having said that, I'm 100 percent convinced the opportunities far outweigh the challenges," he said......

Link to The Ledger (Lakeland, FL)

From Rutland....

"At its peak, it had a law school, a medical school and a hospital. He envisioned a school that was bigger than he was. Nobody gave him a chance of doing it. I want to honor the past and yet move forward," he said.

Rutland said a high priority at Oral Roberts would be raising its enrollment, which currently stands at 3,067, according to the school's Web site, to as much as 6,500.

"It is not my dream to ever go anywhere and restore a school to faded glory. It's my dream to move an institution into an area where it's never been before," he said.

From Rutland....

"At its peak, it had a law school, a medical school and a hospital. He envisioned a school that was bigger than he was. Nobody gave him a chance of doing it. I want to honor the past and yet move forward," he said.

Rutland said a high priority at Oral Roberts would be raising its enrollment, which currently stands at 3,067, according to the school's Web site, to as much as 6,500.

"It is not my dream to ever go anywhere and restore a school to faded glory. It's my dream to move an institution into an area where it's never been before," he said.

HEY!!!!  What about the DENTAL SCHOOL???  Somebody needs to EDUCATE  this guy!!

HEY!!!!  What about the DENTAL SCHOOL???  Somebody needs to EDUCATE  this guy!!

he might be an anti-dentite :-D

That's just what I mean . . . it starts with a few jokes and some slurs . . . the seemingly innocent omission of the Dental School form the list of professional schools that used to be at ORU . . .

I'm certain - he's and antidentite!!

Tell me this, though - where would he have gotten that sparkling smile if it wasn't for some of . . . "those people!!!"  8-)

There used to be a dental school at ORU?? No way... I don't believe that. I've certainly never heard of it. Next thing ya know you'll be telling all of us you floss daily too.

My first semester we had all the schools and we all attended chapel at the Mabee Center.  :-)

Those were the days, eh, drclean?

There used to be a dental school at ORU?? No way... I don't believe that. I've certainly never heard of it. Next thing ya know you'll be telling all of us you floss daily too.

ANOTHER antidentite!!!  They're coming out of the woodwork . . .