Changes in the ORU dress code and curfew

Mike Minyard

Students, Faculty and Staff:

Changes in the ORU dress code and curfew were announced in chapel today. The changes are effective immediately. The revisions are attached for you to review. Students who have any questions about the new code can contact student development at extension 7703.

The following is a list of the changes:

• [*:3vy1s2tt]For men, beards are now allowed for students, faculty and staff. They must be well groomed, neat, trimmed and lined up (professional looking). This is the only revision in the dress code that applies to faculty and staff as well as students.
    [*:3vy1s2tt]

• [*:3vy1s2tt]For women, modesty and good taste is addressed in more detail and the length requirement for formal dresses has changed.
    Knit shirts, blouses or non-athletic shirts must be modest and in good taste, not revealing or sheer with no cleavage showing.

• [*:3vy1s2tt]Formal dress may be worn with or without straps of any size (with no cleavage showing, the back no lower than the normal bra strap line (mid back) and no shorter than 4 inches above the knee- including any slits up the leg).

• [*:3vy1s2tt]Bermuda style shorts can now be worn by all students in the cafeteria. They must be no less than 4 inches above the knee and cannot be athletic style. This policy change applies to the cafeteria only.

• [*:3vy1s2tt]Curfew for male and female students is now the same. It is Sunday through Thursday at 12:30 a.m. (except Monday when everyone must be at their hall meeting at 11:00 p.m.) and Friday and Saturday at 1:30 a.m.

A beard is coming soon!

And our basketball team is going to look much older come Saturday!

Of course they change it after I graduate. 

I can finally walk through the GC to visit with some of my old former, slightly aged, brilliant profs without getting 21 year olds coming up to me and telling me I have to leave to go shave.

I can finally walk through the GC to visit with some of my old profs without getting 21 year olds coming up to me and telling me I have to leave to go shave.

... FORMER profs ... paaa-llleaze!

:o

Not knowing who has access to my transcripts, I made a few changes...

Got to give a +1 to my fellow accounting alum!

Got to give a +1 to my fellow accounting alum!

Haha...well thank you for your generosity but I must admit the only thing I'm an alum of when it comes to accounting is principles one and two. I quickly realized I didn't like it and switched my major to marketing. It was just a very fortunate and rare situation in which it was my least favorite subject, yet favorite class to go to because I truly had a great professor.  :-)

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very interesting development.  Mart Green was here in the Dallas area this summer for an event at Higher Power Aviation (where has Sterns 78 been lately, btw).  After I introduced myself he pointed to my van dyke and commented that he keeps hearing that if we allowed facial hair we could attract more male students. 

This management team (Rutland, Green, etc) is all about driving enrollment up.... Rutland has a clear track record of doing this at Southeastern. I expect we will see major (and minor) initiatives related to attracting new students. (See the 'Whole Man' scholarship project.)

Well Dr. Rutland said yesterday that he wants prospective students to look at ORU and think that Micky Mouse is a liar.  ORU is the happiest place on earth... not Disney World.

I really like the guy.  I think he could be exactly what we need here.

From what I've seen, he's exactly what ORU needs. The university has to be a standard bearer in its mission as a Christian school of higher education but has to avoid the trivial speedbumps of passing rules that often get students focused on what they COULDN'T do during their time in college than what they COULD and DID do during college. I think Rutland and the new administration and trustees (I like that...trustees, instead of regents) understand that. It's exciting. It's possible to be conservative AND progressive at the same time and I think they're working towards that.