One Republic Playing on Friday Night of Homecoming 2009...

Mike Minyard

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• SOLO_Gold

• tmh8286

• ORU Eli

Sorry... never heard of 'em. Doesn't sound like I'm missing much, either. Get a real act and I'll get interested.

It's not really intended for you.  You're not the target market.

I don't think any thought you would be up to date with pop culture.  The band is doing it as a part of Homecoming since they have ORU connections.

So it's not really about you.

...and I can't tell you how many times I went to a concert not hearing the band before only to walk way impressed.  I'd sure hate for someone to be open minded and to give something a chance.  Unless you're the type that only listens to what others tell you to listen too.

Ryan Tedder was actually featured in a past Excellence Magazine, while he was a student at ORU. This is a great opportunity for the university to connect with a band who has made a significant impact on their sect of the music industry. Here's a tidbit from their wikipedia page.

"The single, as featured on Shock Value (Apologize), has gone three times Platinum (marking three million copies sold in the US) and five million copies worldwide.[10] It peaked at number three on the UK official Top 40 Week on November 11, 2007.[4] The week of November 10, 2007, "Apologize" was the biggest radio airplay hit in the history of Top 40 radio in North America, racking up 10,331 spins in one week.[11] The song held the number one position for five months before the record was broken by "Bleeding Love," a song co-written and produced by Tedder.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OneRepublic

It's going to be a great show!

I'm not into their music (and I wouldn't go to see them) but this is a better booking than most acts at the BOK. Most BOK acts were relevant 20+ years ago. At least this group is nominated for a Grammy this decade.

I was actually more impressed when ORU got mewithoutYou to play at the start of school a few years ago.

I'm not into their music (and I wouldn't go to see them) but this is a better booking than most acts at the BOK. Most BOK acts were relevant 20+ years ago. At least this group is nominated for a Grammy this decade.

I was actually more impressed when ORU got mewithoutYou to play at the start of school a few years ago.

Listen, Dr. C, there are quite a few of us on this board that were ALSO relevant 20+ years ago  :wink: . . .

And, BTW, they SELL OUT the BOK with those acts 8-).

Well I'll be honest.  I'm not going to the One Republic concert because I'm just overwhelmed to see them.  I'm going to the concert to be supportive of the effort made by the university to enhance the Homecoming weekend.  I appreciate the EFFORT to make it an entertaining weekend.  My girlfriend happens to be excited about them too.

I think it is worth it for ORU Alumni to support this concert.  One Republic has an ORU guy that jumped through hoops to make this concert work.

You don't care for the band?  Ok, I get that.  But at least consider going in support of the university for Homecoming weekend.  It's kind of like Orange Peel for OSU people.  ORU Alumni need to support this concert if they want bigger and better acts in the future for Homecoming.

Well I'll be honest.  I'm not going to the One Republic concert because I'm just overwhelmed to see them.  I'm going to the concert to be supportive of the effort made by the university to enhance the Homecoming weekend.  I appreciate the EFFORT to make it an entertaining weekend.  My girlfriend happens to be excited about them too.

I think it is worth it for ORU Alumni to support this concert.  One Republic has an ORU guy that jumped through hoops to make this concert work.

You don't care for the band?  Ok.  But at least consider going in support of the university for Homecoming weekend.  It's kind of like Orange Peel for OSU people.

Great post, Mike.

Listen, Dr. C, there are quite a few of us on this board that were ALSO relevant 20+ years ago  ;) . . .

And, BTW, they SELL OUT the BOK with those acts 8) .

Ha. Point well taken.

You don't care for the band?  Ok, I get that.  But at least consider going in support of the university for Homecoming weekend.  It's kind of like Orange Peel for OSU people.  ORU Alumni need to support this concert if they want bigger and better acts in the future for Homecoming.

I get what you're saying... I wasn't dogging the band (my fault if I communicated otherwise). I think it pretty cool that the University and the band both agreed to do this!

so i went on the mabee center website, and quite frankly i don't get the negative comments about the acts brought in...just look at the first week in march

5 March -- pink floyd cover band

7 March -- the dulcet tones of gordon lightfoot

8 March -- the coal miner's daughter - loretta lynn

try and tell me those are relevant acts for this decade or any decade :-D

I'm going to see Brian Regen on Feb. 6 with some friends. He's a good clean comedian that has been on Comedy Central more than a few times. I'm actually excited about the show.

so i went on the mabee center website, and quite frankly i don't get the negative comments about the acts brought in...just look at the first week in march

5 March -- pink floyd cover band

7 March -- the dulcet tones of gordon lightfoot

8 March -- the coal miner's daughter - loretta lynn

try and tell me those are relevant acts for this decade or any decade :-D

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down

Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead

When the skies of November turn gloomy.

I'm going to see Brian Regen on Feb. 6 with some friends. He's a good clean comedian that has been on Comedy Central more than a few times. I'm actually excited about the show.

He's hilarious!

• 2 weeks later...