ORU vs NM

MrsSmith

It is also does wonders on the recruiting side when kids you are looking at can watch you play the #1 team in the nation on ESPN and you stay in the game!

Kids like to go to KU and NC and NM and play at those places.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• vcboy2000

• ORUalum

To add to the "post-UNM" analysis, I think we are also underestimating the value of Kyron Stokes as a rebounder.  When he fouled out early in the second half, we lost not only a 3-point threat, but an accomplished back-court "board-crasher".  Many of the Lobos offensive rebounds in the second half were on long caroms off of the rims that Ford and Lewis couldn't get to, but Stokes would have if he had still been in the game.  One might look at the box score and see his 3 points, and determine that his fouling out did not hurt ORU, but I think it played a VERY significant role.

losing this game was disappointing and in my opinion, shouldn't have happened...some key take aways from my standpoint:

1.) Ball possession is horrible...this includes everyone on the team...way too many turnovers

2.) We need a true point guard that is rock solid and doesn't turn the ball over

3.) Need to develop more scorers on this team...outside of Jarvis, I don't see anyone that can consistently put the ball in the basket

4.) Need to be much stronger with the ball...we get it knocked out of our hands way too easily

5.) This is a good team that has the potential of being really good.  Having Ford is a great asset from here on out and losing Stokes really hurt down the stretch.

6.) Morrison needs to be more confident...and put on some serious muscle over the summer...his fast break where he crumpled and didn't even get the ball to the rim (and was fouled, but not called) had to be one of the most hideous attempts I've ever seen...that should've been two, no questions asked.

7.) Free throw shooting was horrible

8.) Hardy was not much of a factor on the offensive end

9.) Why don't we do more full-court or half-court presses?  Or did I just miss something last night fast forwarding through parts of the game?

Titan,

That is a GREAT post and really describes some of what went wrong last night.

The long rebounds were killing ORU and Stokes would have made a difference on that part.

Lack a little depth to full court press and really pressure the ball. Also could get bigs in foul trouble pretty quickly that way. Don't have but 2 of those!!

To add to the "post-UNM" analysis, I think we are also underestimating the value of Kyron Stokes as a rebounder.  When he fouled out early in the second half, we lost not only a 3-point threat, but an accomplished back-court "board-crasher".  Many of the Lobos offensive rebounds in the second half were on long caroms off of the rims that Ford and Lewis couldn't get to, but Stokes would have if he had still been in the game.  One might look at the box score and see his 3 points, and determine that his fouling out did not hurt ORU, but I think it played a VERY significant role.

Great take, as always, Blue.

losing this game was disappointing and in my opinion, shouldn't have happened...some key take aways from my standpoint:

1.) Ball possession is horrible...this includes everyone on the team...way too many turnovers

2.) We need a true point guard that is rock solid and doesn't turn the ball over

3.) Need to develop more scorers on this team...outside of Jarvis, I don't see anyone that can consistently put the ball in the basket

4.) Need to be much stronger with the ball...we get it knocked out of our hands way too easily

5.) This is a good team that has the potential of being really good.  Having Ford is a great asset from here on out and losing Stokes really hurt down the stretch.

6.) Morrison needs to be more confident...and put on some serious muscle over the summer...his fast break where he crumpled and didn't even get the ball to the rim (and was fouled, but not called) had to be one of the most hideous attempts I've ever seen...that should've been two, no questions asked.

9.) Why don't we do more full-court or half-court presses?  Or did I just miss something last night fast forwarding through parts of the game?

Good eval of the game, TS8.  A couple of comments - to me few things are more frustrating during a game than for our guys to get a rebound, then get it stripped.  I was listening on the radio, not watching, so I didn't actually see what happened, but it seemed like Kevin Ford came down with the ball a number of times only to have it taken away.  We've got to get him holding on to the ball more tightly (I made that comment last night during the game, too :wink:).

Morrison will be a star at ORU, there's just no doubt about it - but he'll need to keep working at it, as you said.  In reading posts on the Lobo board some of their posters were commenting on him, and the fact he's only a freshman - commented that he out-played some of their more highly touted freshmen.  I look forward to seeing what's he's capable of in two or three years :-o!!

The few times I've seen him on a fast break when he's about the be fouled - he consistently does that curl up. It's strange and may be a bad habit he just needs to break out of.

Morrison was having a great game, then he disappeared.  He had something like 9 early points, then i didn't hear much from him.  Had he played like that all game, it would have made a big difference.

Not sure how many of the posters watched the game vs. listening to it on the radio.  I watched it on the mtn and was honestly, fairly impressed with ORU's team this year.  There is something about this team that makes me see greater potential than previous years.  I am not too disappointed by this loss, because I think we could've easily won it and it will provide valuable experience later in the season. 

In my opinion, it wasn't just Ford that had the ball stripped from him.  I recall Morrison losing a handful of times, Lewis suprisingly getting out-muscled when he put the ball on the floor or brought the ball down and Hardy just looking a little soft...which surprised me.    One thing that Coach Sutton needs to stress is that our big men should stop putting the ball on the floor...I think we had at least 5 - 8 TO's because our big men put the ball on the floor and had it knocked away.  I think our boys could definitely benefit from some hand strengthening drills with the medicine balls...way too many times where the ball was bobbled which led to a TO.

Regarding the several long offensive rebounds that New Mexico seemed to grab late in the game...it looked like our guards were out of position, mainly caused by the tendency to break out immediately for the fast break thinking that our big-men will grab the rebounds.

TheEagleman really hurts after this one....it was another game we should have won...the story of our season....we knew it was coming but it just hurts to watch/listen.....gotta shoot better from the line and stop with the TOs....gotta improve over the next 2 weeks before we get back to conference play..... :|

Even though we are currently 2-8, I think there's a reasonable chance of us being at or above .500 before the calendar turns to February.  If we take 2 of 3 in Puerto Rico (which we should on a neutral court) and lose at USC, we'll sit at 4-10 entering the new year.  And, looking at the January schedule, there's a REAL possibility of a significant run in January... in fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised at an 8-0 start to 2009.  After a challenging early-season schedule, there's hope in the very near future!

Even though we are currently 2-8, I think there's a reasonable chance of us being at or above .500 before the calendar turns to February.  If we take 2 of 3 in Puerto Rico (which we should on a neutral court) and lose at USC, we'll sit at 4-10 entering the new year.  And, looking at the January schedule, there's a REAL possibility of a significant run in January... in fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised at an 8-0 start to 2009.  After a challenging early-season schedule, there's hope in the very near future!

I like your take, Blue.

+1

Blue for President!..... :-D

Not sure how many of the posters watched the game vs. listening to it on the radio.  I watched it on the mtn and was honestly, fairly impressed with ORU's team this year.  There is something about this team that makes me see greater potential than previous years.  I am not too disappointed by this loss, because I think we could've easily won it and it will provide valuable experience later in the season. 

In my opinion, it wasn't just Ford that had the ball stripped from him.  I recall Morrison losing a handful of times, Lewis suprisingly getting out-muscled when he put the ball on the floor or brought the ball down and Hardy just looking a little soft...which surprised me.    One thing that Coach Sutton needs to stress is that our big men should stop putting the ball on the floor...I think we had at least 5 - 8 TO's because our big men put the ball on the floor and had it knocked away.  I think our boys could definitely benefit from some hand strengthening drills with the medicine balls...way too many times where the ball was bobbled which led to a TO.

Regarding the several long offensive rebounds that New Mexico seemed to grab late in the game...it looked like our guards were out of position, mainly caused by the tendency to break out immediately for the fast break thinking that our big-men will grab the rebounds.

You once again prove to be one of the most perceptive posters on the board. Agree with everything you said. Although, Lewis' game is to put the ball on the floor. He does not have a 'catch and shoot' post game, like myself.

You are alright for a soccer guy!  :wink: