ORU vs NM

MrsSmith

Brent Mackey is right - this team deserves to have something good happen to them.  I think they're still getting better, and at some point they're going to go on a tear!

I hate to be hard on them in this situation but the truth is - something good was happening for them for a long time tonight. New Mexico is a three point shooting team, and while I know we played solid defense for a while, they had a terrible night of shooting. We should have won this game tonight and we let it slip out of our hands because we didn't seem to want it as much. I hated seeing them out rebound us and every time there was a loose ball, everyone on their team went after it - I mean they got on the floor and dove after the ball....we need to get tough. Sad and heart breaking loss.

But hey...we'll get there and I still love my Eagles.

Let's take 3 in Puerto Rico!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• vcboy2000

• ORUalum

I hate to be hard on them in this situation but the truth is - something good was happening for them for a long time tonight. New Mexico is a three point shooting team, and while I know we played solid defense for a while, they had a terrible night of shooting. We should have won this game tonight and we let it slip out of our hands because we didn't seem to want it as much. I hated seeing them out rebound us and every time there was a loose ball, everyone on their team went after it - I mean they got on the floor and dove after the ball....we need to get tough. Sad and heart breaking loss.

The point of the statement is that they deserve to win a close one, as many close ones as they've lost.

The point of the statement is that they deserve to win a close one, as many close ones as they've lost.

And that certainly wasn't argued against in my post. I agree.

Box Score

Pretty much tells the story we already knew - difference in the win was free throw shooting - although, had we done better in rebounding the score wouldn't have been so close.

Another tough loss...TheEagleman is down.....but, on to San Juan and let's get Wright State on Saturday!..... :-P

Very tough loss tonight....we could (and should) be 6 - 4 at this point.  We shot terribly at Tulsa and had LaLa, UALR and UNM, but the team is still learning defense.  We (the team) have to will a stop a trip or two down the court to expect to overcome these second half collapses. 

Next year, we will win these games, but for this season, we're going to have to go through the growing pains with the team.  I hope we grow up soon!!  :-D

That was a heck of a game in the Pit tonight.  My butt cheeks were clenching when we were down 15.  Our run at the start of the second half really fired up the crowd.  I don't think I sat down during the second half.

Your guys played awesome defense on Toppert (0-7).  He had a couple good looks but none dropped.  The officiating was a joke; bad (non) calls both ways.  The crowd was loud.

You have a good young team.  Good luck the rest of the year.

That was a heck of a game in the Pit tonight.  My butt cheeks were clenching when we were down 15.  Our run at the start of the second half really fired up the crowd.  I don't think I sat down during the second half.

Your guys played awesome defense on Toppert (0-7).  He had a couple good looks but none dropped.  The officiating was a joke; bad (non) calls both ways.  The crowd was loud.

You have a good young team.  Good luck the rest of the year.

Thanks, LoboDave.  We ALWAYS appreciate positive posts from our opponents' fans, especially after a loss!  You guys have a great team, and that was an extremely exciting game - just wish we'd come out on the other side of the w/l column.  Wish I'd been able to watch the game - it's hard to get a feeling for all the nuances from the radio.  One thing I CAN tell you - the crowd came through loud and clear over the airwaves!

After a night of crying myself to sleep...  :wink:

I think I came to an optimistic conclusion.

First let me say, I hate losing. I don't believe in "moral" victories but I do believe you can learn a lot of positives things whenever you come up short in anything. We have an incredibly young team, that in my eyes, appears to be playing good team basketball. (This is a stark contrast to the team we saw take the floor against SWOS)

I was a bit discouraged and frustrated with another loss because of the lack of hustle (and free throws) but the truth is - this team has come a long way in the short time they've been together. New Mexico is a strong team who put a beating our Ole Miss just a couple of nights ago. We didn't surprise them out there, or "pull a quick one." They knew about us and they were ready - and we still should have won.

I'm grateful for our coaching staff and I truly believe we'll be playing good basketball by the time the conference tourney comes around.

After a night of crying myself to sleep...  :wink:

I think I came to an optimistic conclusion.

First let me say, I hate losing. I don't believe in "moral" victories but I do believe you can learn a lot of positives things whenever you come up short in anything. We have an incredibly young team, that in my eyes, appears to be playing good team basketball. (This is a stark contrast to the team we saw take the floor against SWOS)

I was a bit discouraged and frustrated with another loss because of the lack of hustle (and free throws) but the truth is - this team has come a long way in the short time they've been together. New Mexico is a strong team who put a beating our Ole Miss just a couple of nights ago. We didn't surprise them out there, or "pull a quick one." They knew about us and they were ready - and we still should have won.

I'm grateful for our coaching staff and I truly believe we'll be playing good basketball by the time the conference tourney comes around.

Great post, senior!

Free throw shooting and turnovers in the paint killed them last night.

The last foul on Stokes was terrible as he didn't reach at all and guy ran through him. Looked like Lewis was fouled on the shot he put up towards the end.

Some of the shots Jarvis takes just make you cring and then of course he hits 2 from about 25 ft! With all of the attention he gets on the court his teammates are often pretty open and he just misses them or just prefers to fire it up there.

Lewis made some great passes in the lane but will not take the open 12 footer at all. (might be a good thing!)

I think the bigs got really tired at the end and Hardy was overmatched underneath the basket so that was some of the rebounding problems in 2nd half.

They should have won this game at The Pit which is one of the toughest places to play in the nation!

Morrison and Stokes as freshmen are both very good players and with Pearson next year at point the perimeter is in great shape!

The announcers on the tv did a great job last night and were raving about how good ORU was.

I am actually encouraged - which is aying something given our 2-8 record. I hope the coaches and players can keep their heads up and fight through this growing process.

It will take some time for Ford to get acclimated to game speed and to his teammates - and them to him.

I wondered how we would do in the second half with stamina. i thought Sutton did a great job in trying to sub players, but I think we hit a wall.

Just not very deep up front and with everyone in foul trouble Morrison was forced to play down low some and just was overwhelmed along with Hardy.

New Mexico is very athletic and has a good team and ORU had the game with just a few less turnovers and make a free throw!!!

If they can get 2 out of 3 this weekend and get into conference and win a few in a row i think they can get on a roll!

The schedule this year has been brutal but that is what they had to do to get Missouri and New Mexico on the home slate for next year.

Is Guyton sick, hurt, in the doghouse, or didn't have a good matchup with UNM?  I haven't seen anything on this topic.

Is Guyton sick, hurt, in the doghouse, or didn't have a good matchup with UNM?  I haven't seen anything on this topic.

On the radio last night they said he hurt his hip in practice on Monday, and while he made the trip to New Mexico it was decided beforehand to rest him for this game to get him ready for Puerto Rico.

We just need to put a full game together. With a young team, it is not unusual to be a bit inconsistent. The season is a marathon.... just need to improve and start to peak in conference play - and especially the tournament.

Geoff was on the phone with the sports Animal a little while ago (he's traveling back from NM, so wasn't at the helm of his own show), and he was saying that while it's been tough to spend so much time on the road and play so many really talented teams, he said how exciting it has been for him as a basketball fan to visit such great basketball venues as Cameron Indoor Arena, the Dean Dome and The Pit.  About last night he was saying that while the environment was not easy to play in, it was still a great experience to be a part of it.