#1 Picks who have played on a World Series Winner....

theeagleman5

The Philly paper yesterday had an article/chart showing only 7 players in major league history who have been drafted #1 in the MLB amateur entry draft and gone on to play for a World Series winner....one of those on the list is ORU's own Mike Moore who was the #1 pick in 1981 of the Twins and went on to play for the 1989 A's who won the Series....a few of the others were Chipper Jones, Rick Monday, Tim Foli and most recently David Erstadt.....Pat Burrell of the Phils or David Price of the Rays will extend that list to 8 depending on who wins the Series..... :-)

The Philly paper yesterday had an article/chart showing only 7 players in major league history who have been drafted #1 in the MLB amateur entry draft and gone on to play for a World Series winner....one of those on the list is ORU's own Mike Moore who was the #1 pick in 1981 of the Twins and went on to play for the 1989 A's who won the Series....a few of the others were Chipper Jones, Rick Monday, Tim Foli and most recently David Erstadt.....Pat Burrell of the Phils or David Price of the Rays will extend that list to 8 depending on who wins the Series..... :-)

I believe Mike was picked by the Mariners in the first round in 1981 before being traded to the A's after several years at Seattle with no offensive support; eventually signing a three-year free agent contract for $10M to end his career in Detroit (another team of futility).  Mike and Dave Stewart were the aces on a very good 1989 World Series pitching staff.

If Moore was picked by Seattle, then the paper was incorrect...they had his draft team listed as Minnesota...but, it matters not....he is still in an elite group of #1 overall picks who have a World Series ring.... TheEagleman is praying for Pat Burrell to become #8.......it has been 25 years since we have had a championship of any kind in our four major sports here in Philadelphia.....geez...... :-P

You're correct, Eagleman...it matters only that Mike is in an elite group of people that ORU benefits from.  To set the record straight, though, this is Mike Moore's bio from the ORU media guide (complements of the best Media Relations department around).

Former ORU standout and 14-year Major League veteran Mike Moore had his number 22 jersey retired on April 22, 2003.  Moore, who pitched at ORU from 1979-81, was the number one overall draft selection by the Seattle Mariners in the 1981 June Amateur Draft.  He went on to spend 14 seasons in the big leagues with Seattle, Oakland and Detroit, compiling a 161-176 career record.

Moore was selected to the American League All-Star team while pitching for Oakland in 1989 as he went 19-11 with a 2.61 ERA for the World Champion A’s.  Moore helped lead Oakland to consecutive American League pennants (1989-90), serving as a key member of one of baseball’s most feared starting rotations, alongside Dave Stewart and Bob Welch.

While at ORU, Moore won 28 games in three seasons playing for Larry Cochell, leaving as the school’s all-time wins leader.  He was named a First Team All-American by The Sporting News in 1981.

Mike was in my English class at ORU.

He was always very nice to me and we talked about baseball every time before class started.

In the Major Leagues, what I remember about Moore was that he hit Cal Ripken in the head with a pitch.

Ripken was taken out of the game but vowed he would never miss another game for anything.

The rest is history for Ripken.

Nevertheless, I watched Mike pitch on television in World Series and other games with Oakand A's.  I was glad I had a few opportunities to chit chat with him in class.

See

www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/ripken/bal-cal1982sep23,0,286499.htmlstory

Out-of-towners may not know that Mike Moore continues to be very supportive of ORU baseball and ORU in general.  He's involved with Varsity Club activities, participates in the Diamond Dinner every year, typically shows up for Hall of Fame night during the basketball season, and I believe I've seen him at Homecoming activities as well.  He's a great ambassador for ORU. 

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Mike at the Diamond Dinner a couple of years back, and found him to be a really nice guy.  When we got there he had autographed baseball cards of himself at each seat around the table.  That was really a nice thing for him to do, I thought.  Got a load for it on Ebay (JK - it's actually an important part of my ever-expanding collection of ORU sports memorabilia).

I'm not 100% sure, but Mike may have a kid at ORU now.  He was here with family during the first week of school, so I assumed he was moving in a child on campus.

I once heard Mike speak about how he was a non-believer when he came to ORU, but that ORU helped him become the Christian he is today.

I've heard that about quite a few baseball players.  I think that aspect is under appreciated at ORU.  I've talked to some recent former players that are glad they paid attention in chapels, because minor league teammates ask some tough questions about God on those bus trips.  Most of the players on the team assume the former ORU guy knows everything about God so they get a lot of questions.

Good stuff....i read the same thing about Mike Moore finding the Lord while at ORU....just wondering....what % of our athletes would you guess are non-christians?....i would think it might be a hard task to come to ORU and not be saved....then again, i had some doubts about dorm mates while TheEagleman was a student.....i imagine some guys come to ORU to get the scholarship and the exposure......any thoughts?.... :-P