Oakland U. game.....

theeagleman5

So how did we do against Oakland which is from what I gather, the best team in the Summit League?....perhaps we can get some comments from those in attendence?...big crowd?..... :-P

Here's the answer to your question, EM!

ORU Knocks Off No. 30 Oakland in Overtime Thriller 

Senior Jordan Tatum scored the game-winning goal on Saturday 

TULSA – Senior Jordan Tatum (Grapevine, Texas) bounced a corner kick off an Oakland defender and into the net as time expired in the first overtime period to lift the Oral Roberts University men’s soccer team to a 1-0 victory over the 30th-ranked Golden Grizzlies on Saturday night at the ORU Soccer Complex. The Golden Eagles improved to 3-5 overall and 1-0 in conference play, while Oakland dropped to 7-3 on the season and 1-1 in league action.

“We had a good week of practice,” said ORU assistant coach Michael Meachum. “We came into the game very prepared. All the guys knew their roles and played them very well. We were under pressure for most of the match, but we stayed composed and got the result we needed in a conference game.”

The Golden Eagles played the preseason Summit League favorite into the overtime period, led by junior goalkeeper Irving Peralta (Tulsa, Okla.), who posted seven saves in the contest.

Tatum quickly got the corner kick off as time expired, deflecting off of an Oakland defender and into the goal for ORU’s second consecutive victory. The goal was Tatum’s third of the season, which ties for the team lead.

“This was the funnest game I’ve been a part of,” said Tatum. “We had a good first half and never gave up in the second half, and we were finally rewarded.”

Oakland outshot ORU by a margin of 16-8, and goalkeeper Steve Clark posted three saves in the loss.

The Golden Eagles return to action against Northeastern State at 7 p.m. on Tuesday night at the ORU Soccer Complex.

In reading the article, I wonder why the Head Coach was providing the quote instead of the Assistant Coach.  Nothing against Coach Meachum or Media Relations, but it makes you wonder if Steve Hayes made the trip and why he wasn't asked for a quote.  Maybe someone who knows these types of things can educate us.

Great win for ORU!....congrats to the boys in blue!..... :-D

In reading the article, I wonder why the Head Coach was providing the quote instead of the Assistant Coach.  Nothing against Coach Meachum or Media Relations, but it makes you wonder if Steve Hayes made the trip and why he wasn't asked for a quote.  Maybe someone who knows these types of things can educate us.

First of all the game was at home, so there was no trip to be made. And it was just a quote. Maybe you were reading into it a little too much. But regardless, it was a HUGE win, and a great way to start off conference play. A big shutout and confidence booster for the defense and GK as well. It was probably the most physical game we've played this year. Their coach (with a similar coaching style to Kampe) and some of their players had some choice words for us after the game just like last year... I'd say its turning out to be a pretty good rivalry. :-D

My bad...I failed to catch that this was a home game.  Still puzzling though why the Head Coach would not speak to the media instead of an Assistant Coach - especially on a win over a ranked team.  I wouldn't expect Tom Hankins to speak for Scott Sutton when ORU beats UNC this December.  :-D

Goldeneagoal...congratulations on the big win!  I had some pretty harsh criticism for the program last week and the team delivered and took the first steps to proving me wrong.  Good to see and I hope that you guys keep the momentum going...

Glad to see us whip Oakland and drown out their smack talk....not sure why the Asst Coach would be giving out quotes but TheEagleman can't wait to hear what coach Hankins has to say in place of Scott Sutton when we kick UNC down at Chapel Hill in December...... :-D