Men Lose to #21 Drake.......

theeagleman5

I see where we lost a heartbreaker to a nationally ranked team in Drake U. last night, 2-1....any details from those in attendance?...how big a crowd was in attendance?..... :|

Sounds like it was a decent showing, however, it sure would be nice to see the soccer team pull out a BIG win once in a while...mediocrity and consistently underperforming seems to be the name of the game...some things haven't changed since the early 90's.

how about a coaching change?

Ouch....that's some stinging criticism there, Titan....i hear ya...but hey, the won yesterday at Central Arkansas......big game with Oakland coming up this weekend at home!..... :-)

I honestly feel as though I can rightly be critical in this area.  I have kept up with the program over the years and there has been and is a ton of talent.  It all starts with a system/philososphy that must be bought into and executed by all members of the team. 

The men's soccer program has definitely had some good wins over the years, however, I believe they are still underachieving and could do more.  Establishing a consisent pattern is key, and unfortunately, the only thing that has been consistent with the men's program is the coach...I know him well and unfortunately don't have too many encouraging things to say...I wish I did.  If said this before to others and will say it again, the alumni have a hard time supporting this program because of the current coach...there is absolutely no interest or desire on his part to involve and/connect to the alumni. 

Sorry for diverting from the subject...but think about it.  ORU is a unique school that can attract talent from all over the world.  Soccer is truly a global game and with the ability to recruit such unique/good talent and not deliver is a shame.  In my opinion, the sport with the easiest path to success on a the national stage is soccer.  We should consistenly be in the top 2 in the conference and should always challenge for a berth to the national tournament. 

You make some excellent points, titan....i am not familiar at all with the program since i graduated in the mid 70's....who is the coach and what are his problems?...how long has he been coach at ORU?...i agree that we should be attracting international players and i know we have a few but am not able to comment on how good they are having never seen the boys play...if you feel your comments would be too negative for this board, email me privately....theEagleman is interested in what you have on this subject....soccer should be a bigger sport than it is at ORU.... :|

how about more people showing up for their games?

how about giving $$$ to the program to help it out?

the coaches are not the problem.

1.) I think attendance is pretty decent...could it be better?  Yes, although hard for me to tell without living in Tulsa and not being connected to the Tulsa-area soccer community anymore.

Some interesting stats regarding attendance:

2008 avg = 481 (only includes 2 home dates)

2007 avg = 362

2006 avg = 342

2005 avg = 346

2008 vs. 2005 = 39% increase in attendance...pretty impressive

Oakland soccer attendance (arguably the cream of the crop in the Summit)

2008 avg = 722 (only includes 3 home dates)

2007 avg = 211

Considering OU's ranking in men's soccer, ORU's attendance is pretty impressive when looking at 2007.

Compare soccer attendance vs. baseball attendance:

2008 avg = 699

Given the fact that baseball is a money sport, has a greater following and has the better facility, I would say that soccer attendance as compared to baseball is pretty impressive....there are definitely a lot more empty seats in JL Johnson Stadium.

2.) I have donated to the program and know that even in good economic times most won't because of two reasons...a.) little means to do so, and b.) can't stand the coach (his philosophy, how he carries himself and how little he truly cares about the program and those that invested significant time building/representing the program over the years).

3.) The coach is absolutely part of the problem!  Last time I checked, boosters or alumni contributions are influenced by many things, two of which specifically do with "who the coach is" and the direction the program is taking.  That is what happens in big time athletic programs and there is no reason to think it shouldn't apply to small non-revenue generating sports.

Titan, your comments indicate a thorough knowledge of ORU soccer and are excellent...you've done your research....what years did you play at ORU?...appreciate your honesty in sharing......why is ORU willing to put up with such mediocre results on the field and a coach who doesn't appear to play nice with others?.... :-P

I played from '89 - '92...we had a team that was extremely talented, however, perfect at underachieving...or perhaps not, especially when you consider the fact that our coach regularly was a no-show for practice...not exactly what I expected out of a college program, but it was during the "drop to NAIA" years...but nonetheless, absolutely ridiculous.  I can't fault my coach as he had another job that actually put bread on his table.  The current coach was his assistant at the time and all I will say is that he is a total piece of work...still to this day.

Although I appreciate all the efforts of the Athletic Department, I believe soccer doesn't get the attention it deserves because it is considered a minor/non-revenue generating sport.

I also believe that the student body has and will actually get behind the program.  I believe this because the general student body can relate to a soccer player more so than a kid on the basketball or baseball team (at least it was that way when I was there).

I have some pretty good connections (direct and indirect) with some strong Christians that are involved in the college soccer scene...I have to believe we would be much better off landing one of them and would think leading ORU would be an attractive proposition...these guys hail from NAIA or DII soccer powerhouses that happen to be Christian universities...like Wheaton College, Seattle Pacific and Westmont College.  I just wish it would be more of a priority to elevate men's soccer at ORU...it can be done and staying the status quo just isn't producing the desired results...I view this situation as similar to the Colorado Rockies and Clint Hurdle...something has to change or the Rockies will never compete on a regular basis...the only constant over the years for the Rockies losing ways has been Hurdle...make a change for crying out loud...you might be surprised what positive things come out of it!! :-)

Well said, Titan...your comments are constructive and hopefully, ORU will get a big win tonight against Oakland U...... :-)

Titan...i did not realize you played for Doug Techanchuk....i knew him when i was at ORU in the 70's but not very well....i had a few friends on the team back then and i was a sports reporter for the Oracle....so it sounds like Doug was an absentee coach...lol....i don't know much about this guy Steve Hayes but sounds like you think a change is badly needed...with a sub .500 career record, that certainly seems like a logical conclusion.....where is Doug Techanchuk these days?.... :-P

Doug is still in Tulsa and I am not sure what he is doing.  I want to make sure its clear that I don't fault Doug for being an absent coach...given the circumstances, not sure if I would've done it differently. 

Doug is actually taking an active role in trying to establish a soccer booster club...something that is long overdue and badly needed.  It is going to be challenge though, especially given the current economic climate and the fact that many of the alumni have the same feelings as I do with the current coach.  Doug has a lot of passion for ORU and the soccer program and I respect him for that.  I pray that we can find a way to look past our differences and make a positive change...what makes it so frustrating is that I don't believe it will take that much...we're close to making this a legitimate program.