TU Football

Old Titan

They aren't all bad, but they have a couple who are the all time worst people I've encountered involving athletics -- maybe the worst ever.  They will say and do anything.  It doesn't even make sense.  They just want to disturb you for no real reason.  I prefer that we have nothing to do with them ever again as a result, even if we lose out on the couple of nice fans they have. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold*

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• Mike Minyard

I really wish TU wouldn't have kicked Texas Tech off the schedule.  TU vs. Tech would be an incredible offensive display and it would give TU a chance to play a good team.  Kudos to TU but I still want to see them beat somebody decent.  Even Arkansas won't count if TU wins.  Beat a Top 25 team and I'll be a believer.  Of course, it's not TU's fault that their conference stinks.  Unless they get a BCS berth, we'll never know how good these guys are.  Playing some .500 BCS conference school in the Liberty Bowl doesn't count, either.

Their offense is good.... I have seen them in person the last two weeks and it is like an orchestra. The only way to stop them is to keep the ball out of their hands - or if they stop themselves. The pace of the gmae wears opponents down mentally and physically.

Their offense is good.... I have seen them in person the last two weeks and it is like an orchestra. The only way to stop them is to keep the ball out of their hands - or if they stop themselves. The pace of the gmae wears opponents down mentally and physically.

If TU can continue to run the ball between the tackles against the likes of Arkansas, I'll be convinced.

But, if the Hogs' hogs take away the run and the offense becomes one-dimensional, TU may not  score as many points as usual, which will put a lot of pressure on a Golden Hurricane defense that at best is suspect and at worst is terrible.

That being said, I hope they beat Arkansas by 50 - the only followers more contemptuous toward ORU than TU fan is Arkansas fan.

TU beating Arkansas would be so huge.  There is so much bad history there.  Under no other circumstances would I be cool with us going to play them.  They owe us a home game by now.  And that's not even mentioning the Malzahn factor or all our Arkansas players.

The good news: Charles Clay will play and it sounds like he'll play both ways.  He has been out the last few games and it shows.  He can make the difference if our running game isn't clicking; he's a nightmare to cover.

Gotta agree about Charles Clay - that kid is good. Very good receiver.

How much of the success that TU is having with their receivers is attributable to Bill Blankenship? I know they are talented, but I have to think that Coach Blankenship has had a part in that success.

He is certainly a big part of that, though I think he is now primarily special teams coach (we are one of the few D1 programs to use that title).  Our special teams are much better.  A name to pay attention is Mike Norvell, the graduate assistant.  I think he has a big part of it.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Got in a car wreck on the way over; rear ended at a stop light by an Arkansas fan driving a Lexus SUV, also headed to the game.  She appeared to hit the gas instead of the break.  My wife's car was messed up pretty bad, but the Arkansas Lexus was barely scratched.  Turns out the Ark fan didn't have her insurance card (she had never been in a wreck before).  The Arkansas fan did find time to shop for a fruit at a stand near the scene of the accident, though.

Anyway, we barely made the game and had less than five minutes to tailgate. 

My brother had mentioned that he was giving our extra ticket to a friend of his with a parking pass.  Turns out his buddy was a foam at the mouth hawg fan, sitting right in the middle of the TU section.  And he sat next to me.

In the end, it was a day where I should have just stayed in bed.

That was a weird game.  Our playcalling in the red zone was awful at times.  I have no idea why TU gave up the conventional running game when they were dominating the Arkansas d line.  The Arkansas linemen were gasping for air at the beginning of the fourth quarter.  Instead we went with all the goofy double reverses.  And we pulled the national leader in pass efficiency for two of our final four plays?

And TU killed itself a couple of times.  Two turnovers on the Arkansas side of the field, one in the red zone?  Snapped the ball over the QB's head on the three yard line?  Put the third string in on the kickoff Arkansas ran back?

Honestly, that wasn't that great of an atmosphere.  The stadium has about 25 different types of architecture in it.  It wasn't very loud.  They did have good, quick concessions.

The officiating was as expected.  It didn't cost TU the game, but there was something not quite right.  They did blow an obvious interference in favor of TU in the end zone.  The clock started to run during a couple of timeouts quite mysteriously. 

Arkansas definitely deserved to win.  But who would have thought TU would hold the leading rusher in the SEC to under 50 yards, while out-rushing Arkansas 3-1, and lose?  TU chose a terrible day for a very flat, uninspired performance by the staff and QB.  Charles Clay, AJ Whitmore, our defensive line, and our offensive line were outstanding.  I'm not even that mad about this loss.  Just sort of scratching my head.

Losing to freakin' Arkansas again does, though.

I doubt Tenn makes a bowl game and I'm not sure we want to play them in Memphis.  I'm hoping for Ole Miss or a rematch with Arkansas.  Of course, there is a lot of football left to be played.  Houston will be a huge task; we have a bye week to prepare, but they also basically have a bye week with the addition of full contact practice (Tulane). 

The Houston game should be on the screen in the Reynolds Center, if the powers that be at TU are doing what is best.  Haven't seen anything in writing that says it will be -- all the fans just assume they will get us to stick around and watch the game.  They've done that a couple of times before and handed out free popcorn, etc.  If someone was really industrious, they'd order some extra  and decent food to feed people.

The AP is reporting that Tennessee has called a press conference for this afternoon at which head coach Philip Fulmer is expected to announce his resignation, effective at the end of the season.

The "other" TU, huh?

I'd be surprised if they looked at Graham based on how the Arkansas game went, and even then, I suspect they'll look for an NFL type HC/coordinator or the usual group of names like Kiffin and Muschamp.  I'm more worried about whatever job they hire from.  One rumor had Butch Davis looking at that job and UNC did want to to interview Kragthorpe (they were quickly rebuffed).

Of course, if Tenn did call, I wouldn't blame Graham at all for that one.  It's a legit top 10-15 job and we're trying to insulate our football coaches leaving but for that kind of job.

Tennessee fans are as bad or worse than Kentucky basketball fans regarding who they think they can get as their next coach.

Would not be at all surprised to hear their faithful, with straight faces, mention names like Mack Brown, Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops.

They will then howl with disapproval no matter who eventually gets the gig.

If they were smart, they would go hard after Mike Leach - and then Texas Tech emerges as a real threat to come after Metroplex-native Todd Graham.

You think Tech would come after Graham after he jerked them around on opening the season in Lubbock?  As much as some might want to paint that as Bubba's doing, Graham had a big part of it and Tech was outraged over it.  The lead story on their Rivals page for a couple of days was their AD whining about TU exercising the contract buyout.

You think Graham would want that job?  I think he can do a lot better.  I would think Tech would go after someone crazy like Malzahn or maybe a safe choice like Patterson at TCU.  Bottom line, it takes either a special personality (Leach) or a unique scenario (Bobby Knight) to get a name coach down there.  And, I reckon Graham made more at TU last year than what Tech will pay him.

Leach would be a great pick for a lot of schools.  Sadly, I think Tenn is stuck in that SEC "cloud of dust" mindset.  There are reasons so many schools have overlooked Leach.  I think a better job for Leach might be Washington, if he wants to move on.  He may like to remain the Pirate King of Lubbock.