Bain an Olympian

ORUalum

ORU runner wins spot on Bahamian Olympic team

Associated Press - June 30, 2008 11:45 AM ET

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Oral Roberts University track star Andretti Bain has won a spot on the Bahamian Olympic team.

Bain finished second in the 400-meters in Saturday's Bahamian Olympic Trials in Nassau, Bahamas.

He also won a spot on the 1,600-meter relay team.

Bain's 44.62 in the NCAA outdoor final earlier this month is the fourth-fastest time in the 400 meters this year.

I was wondering if we would see Bain at the Olympics. I know a couple of events now that I won't want to miss.

Bain wins bronze in Bejing....has a nice ring to it..... :-D

we have another person on the team going to the olympics Marvin Bonde is going too!

Yeah!

Go Golden Eagles!

• 2 weeks later...

Levarity predicts eight Olympic medals

By FRED STURRUP

NG Associate Editor

Rudy Levarity knows something about track and field.

An outstanding basketball player-turned elite track star, Levarity established the national sprint record of 10.18 seconds that lasted for 25 years before Derrick Atkins' 10.14 eclipsed the mark in 2006.

So, Levarity has a proven background and can indeed speak knowledgeably about track and field.

He hit me with a surprise the other day however, when he listed eight medal picks for The Bahamas at the Beijing Olympics. In this space previously, I projected three medal favourites, sprinter Atkins, high jumper Donald Thomas and the men's 1,600 metres relay squad.

The former national sprint champion also sees either Chris Brown or Andretti Bain winning a medal in the open 400 metres, running around 44.20 seconds.

Full Story: http://freeport.nassauguardian.net/sports/363684175913102.php