Former Golden Eagle Kyan Brown Joins Men’s Basketball Staff

Mike Minyard

Former Golden Eagle Kyan Brown Joins Men’s Basketball Staff

Courtesy: ORU Media Relations

Release: 06/24/2008

Kyan Brown is ORU's new Recruiting Coordinator.

TULSA—Kyan Brown, who helped Oral Roberts University to its first Mid-Continent Conference basketball championship in 1999, has joined the men’s basketball staff as Recruiting Coordinator, ORU head coach Scott Sutton announced today.

Brown, who graduated from ORU in 2001, spent the last four years (2004-08) as an assistant coach at Missouri State under former Golden Eagles head coach Barry Hinson.

“We’re very pleased about Kyan returning to ORU,” said Sutton. “He’s worked his way through the college coaching ranks, from junior college, to Missouri State and now here. He did a great job for Barry, and his enthusiasm and passion for the game make him a great addition to our staff.”

Full Story: http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1483328&DB_OEM_ID=17000

An absolutely terrific pick up for the staff...the guy simply never has a bad day...truly a win/win deal for everyone involved!

An absolutely terrific pick up for the staff...the guy simply never has a bad day...truly a win/win deal for everyone involved!

Couldn't agree more, GB.  I saw him at the SS Team Camp this past weekend - he works a crowd like a politician - only with a lot more sincerity!  He's just a super nice guy.  I wanted to tell him welcome back to ORU, but I didn't quite have the nerve.  Anyway, it's really great to see him  back at ORU.

Kyan was nice before he had to be nice... I remember him working at JL Johnson Stadium while he was a student and always being pleasant and courteous. Great move (again) by Scott Sutton. Nice to have an alum on the coaching staff. Is this the first one?

Sounds like a great hire.

Does this mean someone on the present staff is leaving - or will they reassign positions, and fill the position vacated by Conley Clarke?

Sounds like a great hire.

Does this mean someone on the present staff is leaving - or will they reassign positions, and fill the position vacated by Conley Clarke?

He is "replacing" Conley Clarke :roll: . . .

“We’re very pleased about Kyan returning to ORU,” said Sutton. “He’s worked his way through the college coaching ranks, from junior college, to Missouri State and now here. He did a great job for Barry, and his enthusiasm and passion for the game make him a great addition to our staff.”

I like how Scott seems to indicate that ORU is a step up from Missouri State in the coaching ranks.  I'm not sure that is quite true (although based on his relative jobs at each place it could be an obvious improvement), but I like the attitude.