Scott Cherry blog

titansforever

What was our RPI each of the last five (5) years?  I know it was considerably better this past season, but prior to that I don't believe it was all that impressive (outside the top 75)...stat man, errrr big bro, can you please post those #'s for us at your convenience...thank you in advance.  :wink:

I'm not big bro, but I CAN give you the RPI numbers for the Scott Sutton era:

2008 - 53

2007 - 87

2006 - 130

2005 - 92

2004 - 157

2003 - 170

2002 - 166

2001 - 258

2000 - 258

1999 - 144

(From KenPom.com - not official NCAA RPI's)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LarryL

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

The other question is, is anyone saying that ORU just throws out an arbitrary attendence figure?  That it isn't at least based on seats sold?

ORU Big Brother, do you have a comment on that?

Nope

Don't teams split the gate receipts?  Is there a possibility that part of the problem with scheduling good teams at home is because we cannot gaurantee them a certain amount of $$?

Also, if the trend continues, is there a good possibility of an RPI of under under 50?

As I remember, people in the blue section were told they could come down, but a large majority didn't move. It didn't make sense, because the t-shirts were in the gold section and they might have gotten one to put on if they had moved down. Voice could probably remember more clearly.

At that point I was pretty wet from tailgating in the rain, but it was a lot of fun and I would do it again!  :lol:

As I remember, people in the blue section were told they could come down, but a large majority didn't move. It didn't make sense, because the t-shirts were in the gold section and they might have gotten one to put on if they had moved down. Voice could probably remember more clearly.

At that point I was pretty wet from tailgating in the rain, but it was a lot of fun and I would do it again!  :lol:

If all the people from the Blue seats would have moved down, the Gold seats would have been COMPLETELY filled with still a decent number to spare.

There were around 6,000 in the building for that game.

Just to second what ORUVoice said, there were 6000+, but I was hoping for more like 7500.

Maybe we would get better crowds with  $1 draft nights on weekdays........Coors Light or Bud?.... :-D

Maybe we would get better crowds with  $1 draft nights on weekdays........Coors Light or Bud?.... :-D

Not to mention the sponship dollars either distributorship would pay for pour right to all Mabee Center events... :-D

But as much as ORU is "evolving," I don't believe we'll ever see that...Mike Minyard, may I say, "never ever" see that?  :wink:

Just to second what ORUVoice said, there were 6000+, but I was hoping for more like 7500.

Guys, guys, guys...I have ten years of experience actually counting heads at events in the Mabee Center...as much as I wish you both were right, you're not.  Sorry...

Golden Boy....you really should be a politician.

So, are you saying that you didn't 'inflate' attendance numbers during your stint at ORU? And, are you suggesting that it is OK to 'inflate' a little? That's what it sounds like...

What then is the acceptable 'inflation' number/percentage?

Mike, we absolutely "inflated" announced attendance figures...like from actual attendance of 3,558 to 3,9XX (XX being whatever today's date was; for example if the game were played today it would have been 3,918)...

We'd factor in both team benches, game day staff, building operations personnel, parking lot attendants, prayer partners on the phones in the television studio, the live television audience whenever possible, people eating dinner across the street at Zio's, and our final figure added to the count was the number of guests staying at the Grandview, errr Hilton Hotel across the street...so our typical add on was between 300-400 total.  :-D

I'm not big bro, but I CAN give you the RPI numbers for the Scott Sutton era:

2008 - 53

2007 - 87

2006 - 130

2005 - 92

2004 - 157

2003 - 170

2002 - 166

2001 - 258

2000 - 258

1999 - 144

(From KenPom.com - not official NCAA RPI's)

Tim, can I just say it once again, YOU my friend are THE man!  STAT man that is!  Thanks for your ever faithful ability and willingness to do the research!  Appreciate you, brother!  :-)

With RR and LR gone...times they are a changin'...I can see the slogan now in 2009 .... ORU and Michelob....Perfect Together....... :-D

oh yeah....i underderstand there would have to be a 2 beer limit per game per student.... 8-)

My all-time favorite marketing slogan for beer:

"Budweiser:  Helping Ugly People Hook Up Since 1876"  :lol:

I'll tell you what, even though some of us may be disappointed that bigger programs are not willing to come into the Mabee Center, I am sure glad that ORU does not sell itself out to serve as warm-up acts during the first half of the season.  If  you look at some mid-major conference schedules, (Southern Conference, eg.) early on they are nothing but doormats for the likes of Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky, etc.

Not that I wouldn't to see us play a couple of them on their floor, some of these schools start at 0-5, apparently for the almighty $$.

ORU is a good program, and has some class. 8-)

I'll tell you what, even though some of us may be disappointed that bigger programs are not willing to come into the Mabee Center, I am sure glad that ORU does not sell itself out to serve as warm-up acts during the first half of the season.  If  you look at some mid-major conference schedules, (Southern Conference, eg.) early on they are nothing but doormats for the likes of Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky, etc.

Not that I wouldn't to see us play a couple of them on their floor, some of these schools start at 0-5, apparently for the almighty $$.

ORU is a good program, and has some class. 8-)

I don't think it's because we play an easier schedule than those guys.  We play programs every year just as good if not better than Michigan, Illinois and Kentucky.  Just look at the schedule the past few years:

2007-08

Texas A&M

Arkansas

Texas

Oklahoma State (W)

2006-07

Kansas (W)

Georgetown

Arkansas

Seton Hall (W)

2005-06

Southern Cal (W)

Marquette

Oklahoma

Minnesota

2004-05

Georgetown (W)

Indiana

And those are just the BCS schools we have played.  A 5-9 (4-1 neutral settings) record against those teams either on a neutral court or on the road is pretty impressive.

The difference between ORU and schools like your brought up is that ORU actually has the talent and coaches to compete at a respectable level against tough competition.

I know your post was not negative toward ORU at all, but it does make it sound like ORU ducks the top teams (and we know that is not true).

Yes!  My point was meant to be absolutely positive.  I should have emphasized that ORU is able to compete and win against any of these programs, unlike many of the schools that play 4 or 5 of them early on, and allow themselves to be virtual practice squads for the Majors. Supposedly smaller schools do this for the experience, but from what I've read, it comes down to money.  I'm just  trying to say that ORU has a good blend, can complete with anyone, and has a winning program.

ORU fan in SC