Scott Cherry blog

titansforever

Hope you're right Larry.

This year's incoming freshman will be coming into school during a transition phase in terms of leadership, however, they're the first class to start in a very long time where there will not be any major negative stigmas concerning the governing body of the school. They're basically starting at the same time as the re-birth of ORU into a mature, responsibile, exciting Christian university with limitless potential and I hope that bright transition is reflected in the pride they take in the school the next four years. I think it will. And that can only mean good things for students becoming more involved and taking more ownership over ORU athletics. Not so sure I miss all the studying, but if I had a chance to start all over again and be a freshman in 2008 instead of 2000, I'd have to really consider it. Students are blessed to go to ORU period, but especially right now...what a time to be directly involved with the school.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LarryL

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

Well said!  I look for a new positive outlook to permeate every aspect of the University, including Athletics.  Excited about a great season coming up.

+1 Eli

Very well said.  This is truly a great new beginning for the school.  I think that we will have a genuine upturn in city wide respect and campus wide school spirit.  I hope that it translates into excitement for the sports programs including increased attendance. 

BTW - All of you diehard ORU fans that are in town need try to come to a few of the Girls Volleyball matches this year.  TU on Thursday, Sept. 4th during the ORU Classic Tourney which they have 4 matches in 3 days.

It is $$FREE.99 and there are always great give aways by the Cheerleaders. 

I know this is the basketball board, but Ed, please keep the reminders about volleyball games coming.  I would love to go to some games this year if there are some on the weekends.

I know this is the basketball board, but Ed, please keep the reminders about volleyball games coming.  I would love to go to some games this year if there are some on the weekends.

2008 Home Volleyball Schedule

Thursday Sept. 4 Tulsa# 7:00

Friday           Sept. 5 Fordham# 7:00

Saturday Sept. 6 Arkansas-Pine Bluff# Noon

Saturday Sept. 6 North Texas# 7:00

Friday           Sept. 26 Oakland* 7:00

Saturday Sept. 27 IPFW* 7:00

Thursday Oct. 16 Houston Baptist 7:00

Thursday Oct. 23 South Dakota State* 7:00

Sunday         Oct. 26 Western Illinois* 7:00

Wednesday    Nov. 5 Texas-Pan American 7:00

Saturday Nov. 8 IUPUI* 7:00

Sunday         Nov. 9 Centenary* 2:00

Friday           Nov. 15 North Dakota State* 7:00

Saturday Nov. 16 UMKC* 3:00

Fri.-Sat   Nov. 21-22 Summit League Tournament

Thanks Mike!

Let us all know when you'll be in town and going to a VB game, OKCE, and maybe we can meet up at the game.  It will be a message board invasion!

It's really shameless by using Volleyball talk to extend this thread in an attempt to break the record...lol.... :-D

Let us all know when you'll be in town and going to a VB game, OKCE, and maybe we can meet up at the game.  It will be a message board invasion!

Definitely do OKCE.  Dawn, the kids, & I will be at nearly every match.  With Sofia playing Club Vball and getting quite good (yes I'm the proud dad talking) we want her to get all the exposure to good play she can.

And Sorry for hijacking the thread.  It is summer though and with all the directions this thread has taken, I figure one more tangent won't hurt.

I still say if we crowned a different homecoming king and queen during halftime of each home game, we would break all kinds of student attendance records.

Maybe we should do it like "The Bachelor" - start the season off with 15 guys and 15 girls, and vote one of each "off" every game.

We could have them all participate in some sort of elimination test each halftime, showcasing their royal talents:  who can wave the longest without cramping, how quickly can they put on a sash and crown at halfcourt, who can circumnavigate the Mabee Center floor the fastest in high heels/patent leather loafers, etc.

I'm telling you, this student body would be camped out in sleeping bags outside Moskowitz Lobby for tickets to the final game...  :wink:

All seriousness aside, the name of the game for student participation, besides winning with an exciting team against quality opponents, IS fun, and making the games a social event.  Hey, give it a try . . . :-)

We need a more concerted effort from all parties: student government, administration and the athletic department. Winning will also help.

I noticed this Methuselah of a thread was on its death bed; thought I would try to resuscitate it.

Though honestly I can't remember what 90% of the darn thing is about...  :-P