We are playing UC-Irvine at 7 p.m. on Friday

Mike Minyard

This is from the Daily Pilot comment board, Newspaper from Newport Beach, CA

There are 1 comment(s) on

"’Eaters plan to make hay in Nebraska"

k mack wrote on May 27, 2008 7:51 AM:

" Yes, Oral Roberts has a better team batting average than UCI. HOWEVER, when compared to the other 296 Division I schools the national rankings are as follows:

RPI: UCI @ 20 & OR @ 37

Schedule Strength: UCI @ 15 & OR @ 115

ISR (Interactive Strength Rating): UCI @ 6 & OR @ 25

SO,the level of competition by UCI is much, much better than OR

Also, UCI has one of the best road records in the nation and that combined with the second best ERA means trouble for OR, Nebraska and East. Ill.

GO EATERS-ZOT,ZOT,ZOT "

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• Bogus Smith

• ric714

• ORU Big Brother

" Yes, Oral Roberts has a better team batting average than UCI. HOWEVER, when compared to the other 296 Division I schools the national rankings are as follows:

Also, UCI has one of the best road records in the nation and that combined with the second best ERA means trouble for OR, Nebraska and East. Ill.

GO EATERS-ZOT,ZOT,ZOT "

I don't disagree that UCI is a very good team, but the differences in stats is not that great between the two teams. 

Between UCI and EUI, yes the difference is great and UCI (as well as the rest of the field in the regional) is the better team; however, there is a reason why the game is played on the field and not on paper.

LOL...TheEagleman is more than pleased that he has stirred up the Anteater brethen at UC-Irvine....and we should not fear this Gorgan guy....our bats are the best in the regional....just have to be patient and wait for the good pitch....Anteaters...cut me a break...what kind of nickname is that anyway...they might be better off starting Josh Grogan....and he could sing the National Anthem. too....i am more concerned about this Dorn fellow from Nebraska on Saturday....am i wrong or wasn't he in the movie, Major League?..... :-D

GO EATERS-ZOT,ZOT,ZOT "

From the UCI message board:

Nebraska is saving their ace for Saturday

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like Nebraska will be saving their ace pitcher (Dorn), for the second game of the regional. Here's to hoping that they under estimate Eastern Illinois and get upset... 

Upshot - it's reasonable for a four seed to upset a one, but apparently the stats make it unreasonable for a three to upset a two.  ZOT, ZOT.

Looks like Jarman will get the start tomorrow (per the Regional Game Notes on orugoldeneagles.com) ... with Luna to follow on Saturday and Sullivan in game three.  Here's to a strong 7+ innings from Jarman tomorrow!

My prediction on the game tomorrow...

UCI - 7

ORU - 0

Gorgen goes deep into the game and both teams struggle with their offense.  In the end, the Eagles come through victorious, 4 - 3.

Good insight, thanks.  It sounds like if your pitchers are hitting their spots we will be in trouble.  But I really like how are top 7 have been hitting lately on this winning streak.  If we can string some hits together hopefully we can get a few runs that might be enough in a close, low-scoring game.

Come over and give us some fan insight re the Golden Eagles--We can read the press releases but we do have some interst what kind of rotation do you expect to use?  To what extent were your starters stats built up in league? or did they pitch extensively against teams from OOC from power conferences?  What can we expect from you offense?

GO EATERS-ZOT,ZOT,ZOT "

Isn't that the newspaper Brandon and Steve started on 90210?

GO EATERS-ZOT,ZOT,ZOT "

ORU had 11 Top 100 wins with ALL of them coming in non-conference play. So, of our 19 non-conference wins, 58 percent came against the Top 100. Can any team in America match that?

Overall, ORU is 11-6 against the Top 100, with each game a non-conference affair. In other words, the Golden Eagles played 63 percent of their 27 non-conference games -- the only part of a schedule any team has a say in -- against Top 100 teams

Hmm..let's see.

UCI went 11-5 in non-conference against the RPI top 100.  Add in the 9-6 record in conference games against RPI top 100 and you got 20-11 against top 100 RPI.  Include the 18-5 against non top 100 RPI teams and you got our 38-16 record. 

I think we matched your statement, and in fact, Irvine's looks better.

Hmm..let's see.

UCI went 11-5 in non-conference against the RPI top 100.  Add in the 9-6 record in conference games against RPI top 100 and you got 20-11 against top 100 RPI.  Include the 18-5 against non top 100 RPI teams and you got our 38-16 record. 

I think we matched your statement, and in fact, Irvine's looks better.

You get ZERO credit for games someone else schedules for you. Zero. If you want credit for that, then don't penalize us for the same thing.

Your conference was a damn good one long before you guys arrived. UC-Irvine has nothing to do with the Big West's previous successes.

The bold above is a stupid statement to make when trying to build yourself up against us. We went at least 33-5 against non Top 100 teams.

Zero credit for games someone else scheduled?  Huh?  What?  What does that have to do with the fact the games were played?  You don't make any sense.  Oh, i'm sorry, I guess finishing 3rd in the nation last year doesn't mean anything for the Big West. 

Umm, UCI took a 10 year break from baseball, we were in the Big West prior to that.

Let's look at your conference opponents...hmm..

North Dakota St - RPI 250

Centenary - RPI 198

Western Ill - RPI 219

Southern Utah - RPI 235

South Dakota St - RPI 232

Oakland - RPI 242

IPFW - RPI 268

The worst team in the Big West, Pacific, had an RPI of 196.  I can see how you went 33-5 against non Top 100 teams now...impressive conference.

Not surprisingly you're missing the point. No school has anything to do with how good and/or bad its conference is. No school can control it. Yes, you have to play those games, and yes, winning them is the object.

Several years ago, the NCAA Selection Committee stopped rewarding teams for being in "stronger" conferences, and also stopped penalizing teams in "weaker" conferences. Teams were graded and rewarded based on their non-conference schedules and results. That's because they knew its was unfair to reward teams for games someone schedules for them.

I love it when fans from the SEC, ACC, Big 12, etc., pat their teams on the back for finishing third in their league and act like they're so much more superior to teams in other leagues, especially in baseball. Of our 17 games (again, ALL non-conference) vs. Top 100, we played a whopping SIX at home. Six, or one-third for the mathematically challenged on the left coast. "Power" conference teams sometimes play three times that many at home. We don't get the luxury of playing very many Top 100-type teams at home. Six is the most I can ever remember. It's usually more like two or three.

All I can say is keep right on disrespecting us. Arkansas and Oklahoma State did that in 2006, and we all know how THAT turned out.

You're the fool what stated, "Can anyone in America match that?"

Now you take offense when someone else matches it?

Ok, just like college basketball...when was the last time a baseball team from a non-major baseball conference won the national championship?  It's the same reason why ORU wins 46 games and gets a 3 seed and why schools like UCI and Fullerton get 2 seeds without winning their conference title. 

Ok, just like college basketball...when was the last time a baseball team from a non-major baseball conference won the national championship?  It's the same reason why ORU wins 46 games and gets a 3 seed and why schools like UCI and Fullerton get 2 seeds without winning their conference title. 

Recently?  Rice from Conference USA.