We are playing UC-Irvine at 7 p.m. on Friday

Mike Minyard

It looks as though ORU and UCI fans both had the same reactions in regards to this regional, we both think it's relatively easy.  Obviously, I don't know much about ORU baseball, but here's my short analysis on what you will be facing from UCI on Friday.

Our starting pitcher will most likely be Scott Gorgen, if you watched any of last years CWS, he was pretty dominant, I believe he pitched 4 games in the post season last year with 3 complete games.  This year has been no different, he currently leads our staff with a 10-3 record, 1.90 ERA, and has allowed only 57 hits in 104 innings pitched (opponents .161 avg.).  Starting pitching is the obivious strength of our team as our other 3 starters are 8-3 (3.10 era), 7-2 (3.04 era), and 5-2 (1.38 era).  Gorgen is one of the 10 national finalists for the Pitcher of the Year, which is believe is named after Roger Clemens.

Our offense is made up of a bunch of contact hitters.  No real power threat, we're your typical base hit, stolen base, sac bunt team. 

Goodluck on Friday, it should be a great game.

Ric714....Just a forewarning....BEWARE of theeagleman5.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• Bogus Smith

• ric714

• ORU Big Brother

Our offense is made up of a bunch of contact hitters.  No real power threat, we're your typical base hit, stolen base, sac bunt team. 

Goodluck on Friday, it should be a great game.

Ric, what is the relief pitching for Irvine like if we were to bust through on Gorgen or get into the late innings of the game?  How is the rest of the staff compared to Gorgen for games during the rest of the series? 

I think your type of hitting plays well to our pitchers and fielders; hopefully, our pitchers can get outs without throwing as many pitches...

Has Coach Walton named a starter for Friday night?  It could be any of the "top three" based upon matchups - but I'd be interested to hear who he has chosen...and why.

Unfortunately, UCI presents just what we DIDN'T want to face - an acclaimed "ace" of the staff.  However, as we've discussed before, even if we lose to an ace - we should have the pitching depth to recover through the loser's bracket.  And, if we WIN round one... watch out!

Has Coach Walton named a starter for Friday night?  It could be any of the "top three" based upon matchups - but I'd be interested to hear who he has chosen...and why.

Unfortunately, UCI presents just what we DIDN'T want to face - an acclaimed "ace" of the staff.  However, as we've discussed before, even if we lose to an ace - we should have the pitching depth to recover through the loser's bracket.  And, if we WIN round one... watch out!

My guess for the starting pitcher is: 1) if UCI has a lot of left-handed hitters then Jarman gets the nod; otherwise Luna gets the first start as he can recover faster for pitching a game on Monday.  Based on Friday's game, I think Sullivan gets the nod in a Winner's Bracket game and the one that doesn't pitch in Game #1 between Luna/Jarman gets the Loser's Bracket game - saving Sullivan for the first game on Sunday.

As for facing an ace in the first game out, I am reminded of the USC regional game where we faced Mark Prior in Game #1.  We did not fare well that game.  Our offense is going to need to be patient at the plate with Gorgen and make him pitch through the heat of the day to wear him down a little.  We may not hit him the first go through the lineup, but we may have better success in the middle innings if his pitch count is higher than normal.

As for facing an ace in the first game out, I am reminded of the USC regional game where we faced Mark Prior in Game #1.  We did not fare well that game.  Our offense is going to need to be patient at the plate with Gorgen and make him pitch through the heat of the day to wear him down a little.  We may not hit him the first go through the lineup, but we may have better success in the middle innings if his pitch count is higher than normal.

We didn't face Prior in Game 1 ... USC held him back for the winner's bracket game.

Our middle relief is ok.  We'll probably use Bergman (5-2, 1.38 era), who was our occasional sunday/weekday starter as middle relief in case Gorgen gets in trouble early.  At the end of the game, you still probably see Pettis (15 saves, 1.76 era), our closer, who I believe was top 10 in the nation in saves. 

The one thing I really like about our staff is the K to IP ratio, as a team, we were 485 IP to 443k, not too bad as a staff.  I also believe that our team ERA of 2.87 was second in the nation.

If go the loser's bracket route... I think we should throw Kelly Minnisale in game 2.  I know that the college baseball gods frown upon that type of change in the rotation, but you're going to have a LOT of things go right in order to win a regional threw the loser's bracket.  You should be able to beat Eastern Illinois (former Mid-Con team) with Minnisale.  That way you still have two of the three main pitchers for ORU.  The Golden Eagles will have to win four straight games to advance to Super Regionals if they drop the opener against UC-Irvine.

If go the loser's bracket route... I think we should throw Kelly Minnisale in game 2. 

There is absolutely NO WAY that Coach Walton would put the ball in Kelly's hands in we're in the loser's bracket in Game 2 ... what happens if he doesn't have one of his better days and somehow we lost with (arguably) two studs sitting out in the pen ... not a chance.

There is absolutely NO WAY that Coach Walton would put the ball in Kelly's hands in we're in the loser's bracket in Game 2 ... what happens if he doesn't have one of his better days and somehow we lost with (arguably) two studs sitting out in the pen ... not a chance.

I hear what you're saying mickeyb, but it's not about winning a game or two here but rather about advancing to the next level. On that note, I would have to agree with MM.

I hear what you're saying mickeyb, but it's not about winning a game or two here but rather about advancing to the next level. On that note, I would have to agree with MM.

I'm not giving my opinion ... I'm just telling you what Coach Walton WILL DO ... there's no way Sully, Luna, or Jarman (depending on who Friday's starter is) doesn't have the ball in their hand if we were to be in an elimination game on Saturday ... no matter who the opponent is ... along that line of thinking, just go ahead and start Kelly on Friday so that we'll have all three of our "aces" avaiable for all three losers bracket games ... there's a reason those guys are our top three pitchers and they will start the first three games of this weekend.

nebraska is holding their ace for game 2...

NU Baseball: Jennings to pitch game one of regional

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN – Nebraska pulled the trigger on Wednesday, opting to hold pitching ace Johnny Dorn until the second game of NCAA-regional play this week at Haymarket Park.

Nebraska has traditionally started its top arm in the first game of a regional, including Shane Komine in 2000 and 2001 and Joba Chamberlain in 2005 and 2006.

Dorn, the national leader with 37 career wins, will face UC Irvine or Oral Roberts on Saturday.

"We sat down and talked about it as a pitching staff," Newman said. "Johnny totally understands it."

LINK

Ric, what is the relief pitching for Irvine like if we were to bust through on Gorgen or get into the late innings of the game?  How is the rest of the staff compared to Gorgen for games during the rest of the series? 

I think your type of hitting plays well to our pitchers and fielders; hopefully, our pitchers can get outs without throwing as many pitches...

A little more info re relief from Irvine's side--

Although Gorgen often finishes what he starts, and will remain to at least a 115-120 pitch count--and is very experienced (in addition to his heroics in last years CWS and Super, he pitched for the USA national team).

UCI's middle and closer relief is very good.  Middle relief did get roughed up a little in the middle of the season when the compressed schedule and a couple of minor injuries caused some problems but every one is healthy now--and well rested (UCI avoided any midweek games the final week of the season)--

Bergman and Bilbona both start and relieve (you will likely not see our #2, Stowell, since he will go saturday, win or lose, and given the draw you will not face him, although he is listed among the top 100 MLB prospects by MLB scouting services)-- Calahan is also middle relief and our closer is Pettis who is one of 5 national finalists for Stopper of the Year-- All four pitched and pitched well in the '07 CWS so they are experienced and will not be intimidated.  UCI has another 4 pitchers with ERAs in the 2s or 3 who you may see for a situation batter.  This teams staff is "built" for regional play, and top to bottom is arguably the best staff in the nation (three of our staff -- Gorgen, Bergman and Pettis made first team All-league and Stowell made 2nd team).

The first game is a must win for both teams, and if you go with your undefeated pitcher, who is obviously very good, I look for a 2-1 or 3-2 game since UCI has shown a tendency to be shut down (or at least held down) by exceptional pitching.

It should be a great game and a great regional.

Good insight, thanks.  It sounds like if your pitchers are hitting their spots we will be in trouble.  But I really like how are top 7 have been hitting lately on this winning streak.  If we can string some hits together hopefully we can get a few runs that might be enough in a close, low-scoring game.

Good insight, thanks.  It sounds like if your pitchers are hitting their spots we will be in trouble.  But I really like how are top 7 have been hitting lately on this winning streak.  If we can string some hits together hopefully we can get a few runs that might be enough in a close, low-scoring game.

I agree, bball, but let's not get too overconfident here.  The difference between hitting a 85-87 MPH fastball and a 89-92 MPH fastball is night-and-day - especially with a decent changeup to go with the heat.  Hopefully our hitters can make the adjustment as they have in past mid-week games.  Our Summit League brethern don't do us any favors in getting ready for regional play.

Although Gorgen often finishes what he starts, and will remain to at least a 115-120 pitch count--and is very experienced (in addition to his heroics in last years CWS and Super, he pitched for the USA national team).

Rob should be pretty familiar with Gorgen from the USA National team.

Thanks for the info, Ric....should make you feel a lot better after we kick your A$$ on friday night....TheEagleman Prediction....8-4 ORU... Bring on the Huskers!!!.... :-D

I thought I'd check out the UCI message board since things were kind of slow here this afternoon, hoping that I'd find some good baseball talk.  I thought our give and take over here with our UCI friends had been positive and informative, expecting the same over there. 

But when I find a thread about ORU, I find someone quoting TheEagleman's post above, the only trash-talking post on the entire baseball board, which is used by the Anteater fans to blast our school, our conference, and our baseball knowledge. 

Doesn't take much to get people going, I guess :| . . .

I don't know if I would call 3 replies really getting going...and no doubt if someone talks trash someone will find it and bash us for it...they are the favorite and we are the underdog from a weaker conference they should feel confident