Who's Our Ace?

Old Titan

We've had a revolving door the past few Friday's at the #1 spot, with Sullivan, Jarmen, and Luna all starting there, and with good results.

So, who do we trot out there Thursday night vs. Centenary?

And should we automatically assume that guy is our true No. 1, since some coaches in 4-team, double-elimination tournaments prefer to save their so-called "best pitcher" for the second game?

I'm not an expert by any means, but doesn't Coach Walton usually throw his ace in the 7-inning conference games?  So that would mean Sullivan would be considered our ace this year.

You probably can't go wrong with any of the three for the first round of the Summit League Tournament.

Maybe it's the guy who's 12-0 Hmmm... maybe?

You mean that guy who's started the first game of a series - where presumably the other team is throwing it's #1 - exactly ONCE this season?

Luna's got a sparkling record, and he may very well be our best pitcher right now, but his W-L's may have benefited this season from not going head-to-head with the opponents' best arms.

Here's who threw the first game our past few series, in reverse chronological order:

IPFW:  Jarman

Oakland:  Luna

SDSU:  Jarman

Southern Utah:  Jarman

Western Illinois:  Jarman

Centenary:  Sullivan

NDSU:  Sullivan

BYU:  Sullivan

Dallas Baptist:  Sullivan

Pepperdine:  Sullivan

Baylor:  Lamontagne (mid-week series)

Le Moyne:  Sullivan

Here's my whole point in asking the question in the first place:  it appears at the beginning of the season and midway through, Sullivan was getting the ball for those first games.  Now, he's not - and he ended the year starting the 7-inning games.  Just wondering if perhaps he's nursing an injury, or if Jarman and Luna have simply passed him by (and Serrano may be pitching as well as any of them).

If Sullivan's not hurt, and the others have simply lifted the level of their game, it's a nice problem to have, deciding who to send out there Thursday night.  :-D

Not sure which one you go with in the first game, but I'd have to think Luna has more or less proven himself to be our ace.  He has the most wins (12-0) and the lowest ERA (2.88).

Any change Luna would be saved for relief so he could appear in as many games as possible.  I know he has relieved before. 

Any change Luna would be saved for relief so he could appear in as many games as possible.  I know he has relieved before. 

Someone from the four weekend guys, along with Minassale, will be used in relief, I would imagine.

Luna seems to be able to pitch any time:  starting, long relief, short relief, you name it.  Dude's got a bionic arm.  8-)

All good points.  I'm going to try to get Rob on tomorrow.  I'll ask him who the ace of the staff is and who he will run out there Thurs. night.

Hax

The first game matchup with Centenary should be interesting.  At the ORU Coaches Luncheon 2 weeks ago, Rob Walton spoke highly of Centenary's ace pitcher, although he didn't mention him by name.  I assume that the pitcher he was referring to is Justin Kraft, and that he will probably be their Thursday evening first game starter.

I found an article about the upcoming game on the Centenary web-site which mentions some information about their ace pitcher. 

The Gents pitching staff was anchored by Justin Kraft, who had a team-low 3.42 ERA and a team-high nine wins. His nine victories tie for first all-time in a season in the Centenary record books.

http://www.gocentenary.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1472685&DB_OEM_ID=17900

LUNA HAS TO BE THE MAN!!!... :-D

The first game matchup with Centenary should be interesting.  At the ORU Coaches Luncheon 2 weeks ago, Rob Walton spoke highly of Centenary's ace pitcher, although he didn't mention him by name.  I assume that the pitcher he was referring to is Justin Kraft, and that he will probably be their Thursday evening first game starter.

I found an article about the upcoming game on the Centenary web-site which mentions some information about their ace pitcher. 

http://www.gocentenary.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1472685&DB_OEM_ID=17900

Nice find, Jason.