• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• theeagleman5

• Old Titan

• TrueBlue82

Top Posters In This Topic

Genao hits the ball out of the park on the first pitch.... now it is 12 to 0.

I am not trying to throw cold water on what sounds like a great ORU effort, but according to some WSU fans, the Shockers are in disarray due to Gene Stephenson personal problems.

Shocker Coach Denies Stalking Claims Save

Posted: 11:44 AM Apr 24, 2008

Last Updated: 6:56 PM Apr 24, 2008

Reporter: KAKE News

Email Address: sports@kake.com

Wichita State baseball coach Gene Stephenson says claims he stalked a local woman are false.

The woman is accusing Stephenson of stalking her, and is

seeking a protection order to keep him away from her.

In a petition filed March 27 in Sedgwick County District Court,

the Wichita woman says the 62-year-old Stephenson harassed her,

called her and showed up unannounced at her home. She also said

Stephenson "makes continuous advances toward me."

Stephenson spoke with reporters before the team left on a road trip today. In a brief comment, Stephenson says the allegations are false, and the claims have hurt his family.

The woman wrote in her petition that she received calls from

Stephenson's wife and a friend of his indicating he is "furious"

with her for telling his spouse about his behavior.

A May 1 hearing has been set on the petition.

Stephenson has coached baseball at WSU since 1978.

Good players and coaches play through distractions..... how did our basketball teams react during the RR/LR firestorm this Fall? Excuses are for losers.

ORU goes down in top of 9th.... score is 12 to 0.

Hope Minnesale can preserve the shutout.

Good players and coaches play through distractions..... how did our basketball teams react during the RR/LR firestorm this Fall? Excuses are for losers.

Totally agree, however, there is a difference between major problems with the University Administration and the problems of Coach of the team.

I agree that it is a different situation and certainly a distraction, but the WSU coaches and players have to work through it.

WSU opens with a single, but next player hits into a double play. Next player grounds out. Minnesale shuts out the 18th ranked team in the country. Nice job!

Kelly goes the distance in great form.  When he's on he's really something. 

I don't buy the "disarray" argument.  Those kids get out and play, and aren't going to give away a home game due to some trumped up charge against their coach.  I just don't see that. 

Three words describe tonight:  Big-league spanking.

Guarantees us of no worse than a high "3" seed in a regional, and may also have assured that Wichita State won't host one.

Kelly goes the distance in great form.  When he's on he's really something. 

I don't buy the "disarray" argument.  Those kids get out and play, and aren't going to give away a home game due to some trumped up charge against their coach.  I just don't see that. 

I am only passing on a conversation that I had with some WSU baseball fans last Friday--these guys follow WSU like you follow ORU.  (And they don't believe that the charges are "trumped up".)  I responded the same way you guys did when I was a part of this conversation.

I agree that we played great, and don't want to take anything away from his performance.  I believe that with wins over Arkansas and Wichita State, that Kelly deserves to be pitcher of the week this week.

I am only passing on a conversation that I had with some WSU baseball fans last Friday--these guys follow WSU like you follow ORU.  (And they don't believe that the charges are "trumped up".)  I responded the same way you guys did when I was a part of this conversation.

I agree that we played great, and don't want to take anything away from his performance.  I believe that with wins over Arkansas and Wichita State, that Kelly deserves to be pitcher of the week this week.

Not challenging or questioning you, dbl78, just saying I don't buy that as the reason they lost tonight.  It's interesting, though, that those guys believe the charges.  You've piqued my curiosity, though, and I'll have to check more into that.

Nice win for the good guys!....but tell me more on that tawdry story involving Stephenson!...wow...what the heck is he up to???... :-D

Interesting comments on the Shocker post-game show from the WSU crew:

This was big game for both WSU and ORU.  Both teams play in weak conferences (they said it, not me) and a game against a Top 50 RPI opponent is a big game, especially this late in the season.

ORU has shown that it can compete against the Top 50 with several key wins earlier this season, whereas WSU has faltered against the top teams... and needed this win to gain confidence and respect entering the post-season.

ORU totally dominated the game, had no "cheap" hits, and made key defensive plays when the Shockers threatened to make it a game.

All in all - a disastrous outcome for the Shockers.

====================

The Wichita radio crew had NOTHING but nice things to say about ORU and Rob Walton.  They even commented that Kelly Minnisale was not in ORU's regular week-end rotation, and that this was the same pitcher that the Shockers had hit hard weeks ago.  Total respect for the ORU program.  I LOVE IT!  (I wish we could see some similar respect from media types in our own home town).