Gas prices around

tmh8286

Okay, I'm basing what I'm about to say on a TV show, but I think it was true - the boys of Easy Company went through all of the paratrooper training during WWII, but in the entire course of the war only made two jumps.  The rest of the war was spent in the trenches shooting at the bad guys, or marching to the next place to shoot at the bad guys.  So I guess it makes sense that there are more useful and productive ways to spend training money and time than on jump training.

BTW, in double-checking my facts for this post, I came across the fact that Easy Company was also required to make five jumps to complete their jump training - I guess what was good enough for them in '42 is still good enough for our current paratroopers!  Some things just don't change :wink:.

thanks for all the kind comments...i was half joking about regretting joining up.  after 14 months in iraq, a looming deployment to afghanistan next year, and a probable stop loss i'm just ready to be a civilian again. :-)

You deserve all the kind comments, and a whole lot more.

Keep us posted regarding your whereabouts in the coming months - and God speed.  :-D

You have all of our respect.... Airborne/Paratroopers = real men

We sleep safely in our beds because of you and your fellow soldiers - thank you.

thanks for all the kind comments...i was half joking about regretting joining up.  after 14 months in iraq, a looming deployment to afghanistan next year, and a probable stop loss i'm just ready to be a civilian again. :-)

You have to joke around about stuff like that or you'd go crazy, right?  Thank you for doing what you do.  I respect it a whole lot.

On a lighter note... or maybe my wallet is just getting lighter... gas is $3.69 in Tulsa today!

Still seeing $3.59 gas in BA, but if it's $3.69 in Tulsa today, it will be $3.69 in Broken Arrow tomorrow  :cry:.

The sad thing is, at this point, paying record prices around here, every day I drive by the gas station and the prices haven't gone up, I'm thankful we're not paying more. 

• 3 weeks later...

Average in Dallas right now is 3.85 with some of the stations closer to Downtown charging right at $4.

A cousin in Orange County, CA, just emailed me to say that at a gas station near his house gas has jumped a dime each of the past two days - from $4.19 (!!!) yesterday AM to $4.39 today.  Yikes!!!

In Canada we are currently paying $5.04/US gal. Of course our $ is only worth 0.98 American today, so . . . you do the math  :-D. No matter how you cut it, you guys can still afford to do a whole lot more driving than we can right now.

In Canada we are currently paying $5.04/US gal. Of course our $ is only worth 0.98 American today, so . . . you do the math  :-D. No matter how you cut it, you guys can still afford to do a whole lot more driving than we can right now.

Seems like I can't go a day without hearing a discussion on gas prices somewhere or seeing it on TV. Is it the same way in Canada, Ron, or is everybody Ho Hum about it?

Seems like I can't go a day without hearing a discussion on gas prices somewhere or seeing it on TV. Is it the same way in Canada, Ron, or is everybody Ho Hum about it?

Gas is a big story here! One of the Big Four is closing four pick-up plants in Ontario because consumer choice of vehicle has changed suddenly in reponse to the higher gas prices.

One radio station in town commits a few minutes during the morning and vening commute to focus on the lowest priced gas station in the city every day. I hear a lot of it because I drive 50 minutes back and forth to work daily. Fuel costs have risen in the family from $400.00 to $500.00 a month!

By living in Germany for 14 years, I exposed myself to a society that is quite concerned about environmental matters. A fair bit of it rubbed off. Since coming home to Canada, our family of five has so far managed to live with only one car. That will probably change in the next few months because we are going from three to four drivers in the family. Whatever cars we buy in the next little while though, a prominent concern will be gas consumption.

I traveled to Italy and England last week with my son's high school history/humanities class and saw lots of motor scooters and mini/smart cars. We also used a lot of mass transit (buses, trains and subway) - which works for a high density area. Not for most of America. And those small cars are cute and get great gas mileage - but I would hate to travel in one across country or have an accident.

The free market will settle this out if we just leave it alone.

Look for $80 oil within the next 12 months.