Gas prices around

tmh8286

I'm curious to know how much others around the country are paying for gas right now  - here in Tulsa, after several weeks at $3.39 it went up overnight a dime to $3.49.  This week it was revealed, unbeknownst to most consumers, that we've been buying E10 at the pump - a ten percent ethanol blend.  The state legislature has quickly drafted and passed legislation, now on the governor's desk, to require gas stations to identify the contents of the "gas" you're buying at the pump.  What a novel idea!

Not sure where you've been buying gas, TH, but QuikTrip has been at $3.39 for regular unleaded for a couple of weeks, before going up to $3.49 last night.

I've always considered myself something of an environmentalist, but they could drill for oil in the middle of Yellowstone Park right now, for all I care - paying over a hundred dollars a week for gas is KILLING me!  :-P

Not sure where you've been buying gas, TH, but QuikTrip has been at $3.39 for regular unleaded for a couple of weeks, before going up to $3.49 last night.

I've always considered myself something of an environmentalist, but they could drill for oil in the middle of Yellowstone Park right now, for all I care - paying over a hundred dollars a week for gas is KILLING me!  :-P

You're right, OT - my goof.  Duly noted and corrected.

Gas jumps to $3.59 this morning at stations around the Tulsa area.

On a related note, we had a visitor come in from our parent company in Germany.  He was absolutely amazed that our gasoline prices were $3.49/gallon.  In Germany, he is paying 1.50 Euros per liter.  At the current rate of 1.55 Euros to the $, that translates into approximately $2.33/liter, or over $9.00/gallon!!  I guess we don't have it so bad after all.

Yeah, but we've got our own oil, and a lot of it.  When does the rallying cry of America become, "Give me ANWR or give me DEATH!!"

The cheapest I've seen out here in L.A. has been about $3.89. In Beverly Hills I've seen it about $4.19 and up for regular.

$3.79 in Anchorage

I'm curious, alum, what do you do (work-wise) in Anchorage?  Are you originally from there, or are you a transplant?

I'm curious, alum, what do you do (work-wise) in Anchorage?  Are you originally from there, or are you a transplant?

transplant -- i'm a paratrooper in the us army currently stationed at ft. richardson, ak.  unfortunately i had a patriotic moment a few years ago and enlisted. :cry:

transplant -- i'm a paratrooper in the us army currently stationed at ft. richardson, ak.  unfortunately i had a patriotic moment a few years ago and enlisted. :cry:

Regretful or otherwise, my hat's off to you for your service to our country.  Military service is a very honorable thing, and I have a great deal of respect for those that make that commitment.  Thanks for what you're doing that guarantees the freedom that we all cherish.

Regretful or otherwise, my hat's off to you for your service to our country.  Military service is a very honorable thing, and I have a great deal of respect for those that make that commitment.  Thanks for what you're doing that guarantees the freedom that we all cherish.

Ditto

From what I understand, paratroopers still use the same type or style of parachute used by paratroopers in WWII - the round type, as pictured in your avatar, that provide little if any steering or directional control - as opposed to the steerable airfoil-type.  Can you enlighten me as to why that would be the case?  With the potential for hang-ups in trees, telephone poles and anything else that might get in your way, it seems like the other kind of chute would be a natural choice for paratroopers.  Your comments?

From what I understand, paratroopers still use the same type or style of parachute used by paratroopers in WWII - the round type, as pictured in your avatar, that provide little if any steering or directional control - as opposed to the steerable airfoil-type.  Can you enlighten me as to why that would be the case?  With the potential for hang-ups in trees, telephone poles and anything else that might get in your way, it seems like the other kind of chute would be a natural choice for paratroopers.  Your comments?

we jump the T10D parachute -- i can't speak to if it the same 'chute they used in WWII or not.  my guess on why a different parachute isn't used w/more directional control would be perhaps training time.  three weeks of training at ft benning to include five successful exits from an aircraft while in flight and you have an airborne qualified soldier.  also when your jumping a large number of people over a huge dropzone their is not a need for pinpoint accuracy.  there is some directional control w/the T10D -- you can "slip away" from other jumpers and potential obstacles by pulling hard on the risers.  i read awhile back that they are developing a new 'chute that will lower the descent speed in a hope to decrease injuries.  probably way more than you wanted to know...

thanks for all the kind comments...i was half joking about regretting joining up.  after 14 months in iraq, a looming deployment to afghanistan next year, and a probable stop loss i'm just ready to be a civilian again. :-)