11 1/3 innings and 176 pitches in relief...

ORUalum

...and he took the loss.  i hope the guy at least got some kind of record for longest relief appearance or something.

Seven-Run 17th Inning Lifts Southern Utah Over North Dakota State, 12-5

(excerpt)

Shane Bushland, the second of four NDSU pitchers, took the loss despite striking out 11 batters and allowing only one earned run in 11 1/3 innings.  Bushland dropped to 3-2 on the year.  He threw 176 pitches.

He was outdueled by SUU right-hander Jacob Noyes, who struck out 18 batters with three walks and three hits over 8 1/3 innings for the win.  Noyes improved to 3-1 on the year.  He threw 146 pitches.

LINK

Based on the box score, it looks like all 7 runs in the 17th were made after two outs!  Must have been a wild last inning - thinking that you only have to get one out to stop the inning and the third out never comes until it's too late.

Allowing your pitcher to pitch 176 pitches - even 146 pitches for the SUU pitcher - is really unusual.  I have to believe that Rob would not let any of his pitchers go that long.  He's allowed Sully to go to around 130 pitches, but I can't believe that a team is getting a quality throw out of a pitcher past 110-120 pitches.  After that point, the pitcher is just throwing the ball up there and hoping the defense behind him is going to come through for the outs.

146 and 176 pitches in a game is absurd!....this is why if i am a major league team, i draft HS pitchers...too many college coaches ruin the arms of their pitchers....the SUU and NDSU coaches should be ashamed of themselves!!! :x

I am wondering how many pitchers (including our own) are being overused in college this year with the shortened schedule.  It seems like every team is stretched thin.