ORU vs Tennessee

MrsSmith

I was surprised to see our cheerleaders at the game.  I thought it was going to be the dance team at the women's game.

ESPN did a REALLY poor job at showing our cheerleaders, even at break.  They are on the wrong side of the floor to ever get on camera.

Tennesse didn't show much class at the end by shooting on a fast break with 4 seconds to go up by 38 points.  :?

It was in 2005, and I can't remember her name, but she set a high screen and the Texas player ended up getting injured.  She was the one that probably raised the ire of Leslie Crane in the semis that year.  At any rate, at half-time, Stacy Dales (Schulman at the time) was absolutely furious with ORU over that "dirty" play, and furious that a flagrant foul wasn't called.  I remember some of us Valpo fans were a bit rubbed the wrong way by the ORU player in question, but we were unanimous that it was definitely NOT a "dirty" play.  I was pretty ticked with this ESPN analyst at the time.

Claudia Louis ... probably the hardest, toughest player Coach Fink has had at ORU.

Tennesse didn't show much class at the end by shooting on a fast break with 4 seconds to go up by 38 points.  :?

Couldn't agree more, MrsSmith.  I was going to post the same thing, but you beat me to it!

Yeah, Stacy Dales said ORU was one of the scrappiest, if not THE scrappiest, teams she played at OU.  That was gracious of her to say.

I don't know, Doc... The words were gracious - but I sensed she issued the statement with an air of disdain.  She obviously has a history with ORU that was not to HER liking. 

I don't know, Doc... The words were gracious - but I sensed she issued the statement with an air of disdain.  She obviously has a history with ORU that was not to HER liking. 

Maybe so :wink: . . .

I took it as a compliment. She put some good words out there for us.

I'm very proud of our team tonight. Ran out of gas, but not heart.

Claudia Louis ... probably the hardest, toughest player Coach Fink has had at ORU.

Yep, that's the one.  Thanks :wink:

All in all, a decent performance by the ORU ladies and coaches.  Some odd calls by the officials, and a very athletic opponent with great depth on the bench, plus the loss of arguably one of our best players early, led to a nearly impossible situation.

I felt we played tough, never gave up, kept up with their pace, and did a great job against one of the top teams in the country. 

In the halftime locker room, with cameras rolling, Summitt was telling her team they played a horrible half and she expected better.  That when they're up by almost 20.  I think that's classless.  She strikes me as a person who is probably never satisfied with any performance. 

The OSU coach did something similar when we played them earlier in the season, complaining about how poorly they played while blowing ORU out (I brought it up back then also) and again this weekend after they won their first round game. 

Keeping it respectable so far.  48-34 at half.

I always wonder, with the reputation that Pat Summit has, whether she comes into a game like this, where they will almost certainly dominate, is she completely business-like toward the other team, or is she friendly and gracious to Jerry and the other coaches.

I got this question at least partially answered today by Mike Carter - I wish I had written down his exact words, but he said she was very kind, or something like that, with Jerry and the team.  With Camargo, Mike said Pat Summitt was near tears with compassion for her situation - she said that she had had an injury in a similar situation in her playing days, and she knows first hand how hard it is to watch from the sidelines while your team plays.  Summitt said the pain comes less from the injury than from the heart in that situation.  I thought that was a very poetic way of describing Mariana's emotions at that moment.

I am not a fan of Pat Summit....no class....and shooting a 3 ball with 4 seconds left....hummm....what a bunch of nappy headed hos.... :-D:evil:

Yep, that's the one.  Thanks :wink:

And it was a clean play.  Claudia was set.  The UT player's team mates fell asleep and didn't call the screen.  The whole thing was blown out of proportion because the UT player had previous injuries and it was somewhat controversial for her to be playing, from a medical standpoint.  That wasn't Claudia's fault.  She was just playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

BTW, that was the first time I'd ever seen Stacy Schulman do a broadcast and I haven't liked her since.