2008 baseball

redhammer

I have to admit that I haven't been out to see the Eagles in person yet this season, but have followed them closely by the airwaves and by their stats.  I'm puzzled by our level of success thus far this season.  We neither seem to have a stud pitching staff at this point in the season, nor are we just tearing the cover off the ball with our bats. 

We have no pitcher with any significant innings with an ERA under 3.00,  our team ERA is 4.87.

We also have only one frontline player hitting over .300, with Van Kirk just ripping it at .422.

What we do seem to have for the most part is the ability to just get the job done.  We manage to get the necessary outs in the field to just barely get the wins.  We also just manage to manufacture enough runs to win ball games.  We have obviously lost a couple games that we had no business losing, but that is the way baseball works. 

This might end up being one of those teams that turns out to be pretty special, if the bats really come alive and the pitching staff develops and settles down to give us some scoreless

stretches of innings.

yeah, what's the deal with this team?....beating Baylor twice...LA-Lafayette and Pepperdine once...losing to McNeese St. and Dallas Baptist twice?...i don't get it?....it will be interesting to see how we fare against Texas and then BYU this week..... :?

In short, we have been successful playing small ball and defense (although you wouldn't tell it recently with the number of errors we have been committing).  We have very few guys that are hitting home runs (VanKirk and Groth primarily).  When the going gets tough, though, the guys seem to know what they need to do to pull off the win.  They have been behind in several games by multiple runs, only to hit in enough runs to snatch the game out of the jaws of defeat.

Additionally, the pitching staff is still coming around after some of them went through off-season surgery and Kelly and Lamontagne are still trying to get into form.  Kelly will be a great closer for us when he is fully recovered (he looked great yesterday in the 9th).  Also, you have to take into consideration the quality of opponent that we have been playing to understand our ERA being higher.  Our pitchers are throwing to people that can hit!!  It won't be until we start playing the Summit League opponents that we're going to see some of those pitching numbers dip significantly.

Our only bad loss has been to McNeese State (RPI #231).  Our other losses have come from Dallas Baptist (who went up to #67 from #70 with their loss to us yesterday) and Pepperdine (#41).  With our win yesterday, our RPI went from #38 to #28, which is higher than Texas' RPI at #37.  When we play Texas tomorrow - win or lose - I wouldn't expect our rating to change much, which is a good thing since most teams don't come out of Austin with a win (except Texas, of course).