Eric Fowlkes

Guest Rob Marshall

Guest Rob Marshall

I'd like to see Fowlkes play more minutes at the one on Saturday night against NSU. I've not seen him play a lot of minutes, but what I've seen, I really like. Given his size (6'4 with long arms) and strength, he would be a big match-up problem for most teams we will play at the one both offensively and defensively.

Guest EagleBackr

Eric does have some trouble bringing the ball up against quicker guards. Let's hope he doesn't have to do that too much this year. Personally, I think Ken or Moses does a better job of ballhandling against pressure. And Larry covers a lot of ground in the open court with the ball; he just doesn't always make the greatest decisions once he gets into the halfcourt. If JB is out of the game, look for more passing to get the ball over, rather than the usual "clear out and let JB bring it up" approach...

Eric is not a true point guard, but he brings a different set of skills to that position than JB. I would like to see him get a lot of minutes this Saturday at the pg position so that he can a little more comfortable/confident. We cannot try to play JB 40 minutes per game and expect him to last all season. Eric can be serviceable as a pg... he did it two seasons ago against WSU.

Eric is still playing a bit tentatively which is to be expected given that he has not played for a while.

Eric does have some trouble bringing the ball up against quicker guards. Let's hope he doesn't have to do that too much this year. Personally, I think Ken or Moses does a better job of ballhandling against pressure. And Larry covers a lot of ground in the open court with the ball; he just doesn't always make the greatest decisions once he gets into the halfcourt. If JB is out of the game, look for more passing to get the ball over, rather than the usual "clear out and let JB bring it up" approach...

Finally, someone else who is not afraid to admit the obvious! Eric is a great contributor to our team, but not at the point guard position.

My opinion: Redshirt Ehambe and Spicer. Let Dj get some experience backing JB up this year. He will make some freshman mistakes and he needs to get stronger physically, but he can handle the rock. And if Bluitt keeps taking these "Iverson-like" beatings when he drives, Jordan may be our only true ball handler left by the end of the season.

Did you see Jordan Saturday night? He is very much a freshman - he turned the ball over on three straight possessions. Two of the turnovers were unforced. He will be a good player but he needs some seasoning. I'm afraid if we 'throw him tot he wolves' this year, it could affect his confidence. That said, we have to have a back up point guard and if Fowlkes can't do it then maybe we just have to let Darren (and the team) take some lumps. We need to let both of them play extensively this Saturday to get a good read.

I also think we should red-shirt Ehambe. He is going to have limited minutes this year and we will look back (ala Wilkerson) and wish we had this season back when he is a senior.

I do aree with you Terry that he played very much like a freshman on this past Saturday. If you remember after that third turnover he went down and scored on a driving lay up against a set defense. I say part of the turnovers were game jitters. I think the whole confidence thing is a tricky issue. Ultimately the coaches will probably want to see how they perform during the game on Saturday. But what do I know. They could have allready decided who will red shirt, and are just letting them play before they sit all season. Fowlkes is gonna get his playing time anyway at the 2 position when Tutt sits (10 min. a game). Meloy will be back in the rotation this saturday so it will have a new dynamic. Does anyone think we can get him another hardship year for his finger!? :lol:

There is no way that Tutt sits down 10 minutes a game.... last year he averaged 38.5 minutes per game in conference games. We need to rest him a bit more than that (1.5 minutes per game); My guess is that he will play an average of 33-35 minutes - that doesn't leave a lot of playing time for the other guards

I have to agree that Fowlkes may not be the true point but he brings a different dimension to the game and I like his style. He will not push the ball up the floor or be the speed of Bluitt but he plays in control and he will get the ball up the court. Next year we will have 3 possible points if Gaines can play the 1.

That will be interesting to see. :roll:

Guest Rob Marshall

EB and VCBoy, ORUTerry got my point ... play Fowlkes a lot of minutes at the one THIS Saturday in a game when the outcome doesn't matter. Agreed, Bluitt is a more polished and flashy ballhandler than Fowlkes but let's look at the numbers from the UCO exhibition game last Saturday.

Bluitt 27 minutes, 5 assists, 4 turnovers

Fowlkes 15 minutes, 1 assist, 1 turnover

Jordan 5 minutes, 0 assists, 4 turnovers

I'm not suggesting the coaches bench and never play Bluitt, but rather saying, play Fowlkes more minutes (especially against weaker opponents)to give him more experience at the one, and if necessary have him work extra after practice on his ballhandling skills if they are as lacking as suggested by EB and VCBoy. Bottom line, this team will be MUCH better if Fowlkes can contribute significant minutes each game at the one.

ORUTerry shared another excellent observation, Fowlkes was effective enough to play the one for 38+ minutes and lead the team to a win two seasons ago at Wichita State.

On Andrew Maloy, he reminds me of Matt Nover who played what seemed like sixteen seasons at Indiana.

My parting shot, from what I've seen in the Blue/White game and the first exhibition game, Ehambe, Spicer, and Jordan most likely wouldn't log enough minutes this season to warrant wearing any color of shirt except RED.

Guest EagleBackr
I also think we should red-shirt Ehambe. He is going to have limited minutes this year and we will look back (ala Wilkerson) and wish we had this season back when he is a senior.

Ehambe can't be redshirted now - only FIRST YEAR players (freshmen and transfers from jucos or other schools) are eligible to play in the exhibitions AND THEN redshirt the regular season. Having played against UCO, Ehambe is for all intents and purposes a sophomore now.

Guest Rob Marshall

EB ... didn't realize this aspect to the new rule; thanks for pulling our coat! of course, he could always manage to "severly" injure an ankle or finger or toe that would result in a medical redshirt season. :o